Growers 5g Fluval Chi -- Update 2/19 -- (56k!) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to Growerguy
Growers 5g Fluval Chi -- Update 2/19 -- (56k!)

Well Ive been a reef guy for over 5 years and that has been my obsession until lately. Dont get me wrong I love my reef tanks but the planted fresh bug has bit me. For the last 3 years Ive had an ultra low tech 55g running and decided to get it looking like something presentable when I came across a fluval chi Ive had for a year now.
I decided what the heck might as well see what I can do with this thing so I put some gravel in and an ornament and started cycling it. Then it happened, I got back on this site after years of being gone, and after I figured out my password logged in. Thats when the little bugger bit me...
I went out and got a bag of ecocomplete and it began.

So far this tank has been setup for 5 weeks.
This is what it looked like 2 weeks ago:

I built a light hanger and put in a 65w cfl flood light 6500k and bought some Hemianthus callitrichoides and Bacopa Caroliniana. I also threw in some Eleocharis acicularis from my 55g. Found my old nature yeast co2 and got it running and boom.

Then this last weekend I planted everything properly and got a Fancy Guppy.
This is what it looks like at the moment.

Looks like its going pretty well and the Bacopa has exploded. Everything has greened up a lot. Ive been dosing flourish excel every other day.
Planning on looking for a nice piece of driftwood to replace the ornament and I have a Up Aqua glass co2 diffuser coming in the mail to replace the ladder. Ill look into getting pressurized co2.

Anyways Im use to worrying about tons of parameters on my SPS saltwater reef tank and this is kind of a breath of fresh air. See how it goes and keep this thread updated as best as I can.

Oh and I have a Marineland HOB penguin filter.

Comments, Suggestions?

Last edited by Growerguy; 02-20-2012 at 02:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 01:44 AM
Planted Member

Beautiful! I subscribed, can't wait to see it fill in!!

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you!
Im trying to keep the equipment sleek or hidden because the tank is sitting on the bar that separates the kitchen from the dinning room.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well here is an update.
Got rid of the ladder and got an Up Aqua glass diffuser for the co2.
Added some Water Lettuce and Hygrophila. Also found a piece of driftwood at the LFS that I thought might look good. I donno tho.. What does everyone think?

Sorry for the glare.. I just snapped a few pics with my phone in the middle of the day..

And then bad news is the male guppy decided he wanted to fly and jumped ship... I picked up a red Crowntail Betta with blue tips instead.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 10:48 AM
Planted Member

I think that's a great betta tank. I've seen a lot of people caution having no lid w/ betta's but I have never had a jumper yet. Wood looks nice. Not a big thick piece so it doesn't take over the focus of the tank. I'm digging it!!

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by charms View Post
I think that's a great betta tank. I've seen a lot of people caution having no lid w/ betta's but I have never had a jumper yet. Wood looks nice. Not a big thick piece so it doesn't take over the focus of the tank. I'm digging it!!

I didn't know bettas were jumpers. Ill keep an eye on him, so far he has been hanging out in the mid-bottom of the tank. I havent had a betta since I was 8.
Thanks about the wood. Im liking it but it seems like it needs something else.. May look around and see if I can find another smaller piece to branch out from the bottom corner to the top right side. Kinda so it looks like they are one piece.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 05:57 PM
Planted Member

Yea I see what you mean! That would look good. Maybe some type of plant on the wood too. Like a moss or even a anubias petite - I love those!! Lol.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 05:59 PM
Planted Member

What type of substrate are you using? I'm having issues w/ my current set up and am seriously considering starting fresh. :-)

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by charms View Post
What type of substrate are you using? I'm having issues w/ my current set up and am seriously considering starting fresh. :-)

Thanks. I was thinking that too. Maybe try and grow something that is just coming out of the water where the stick pokes out the top.

Substrate Im using Caribsea FloraMax. It was the only thing I could find at the LFS and I like their substrates for my saltwater tanks so figured Id give it a try.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well I just purchased a 20g Fluval Pressurized Co2 system with 3 refills and a cheap Red Sea drop checker for $45 after shipping. See how it works in a week or so.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 10:07 AM
Planted Member

New pic??

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just snapped a pic with my phone. Things are starting to grow but the water is looking a little green.. Dont have the fluval co2 yet but should be here next week hopefully.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well I got some crypt parva and hygrophila corymbosa today. Also another branch of driftwood.
Snapped a few pics, the plants are still in pots because I had to run to work and spray. (I grow plants for a living in a greenhouse)

Also my gf got an ok pic of the betta. Her phone camera is better.

I need to pull out the good camera and get some pics. Unfortunately Im old skool and use a film camera still so it will be a little while.
What does everyone think of the driftwood? Yes no?
Oh and the shot glass is holding the branch down haha.. it will waterlog in a few days.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well things have been coming along well. I got the Fluval co2 20 yesterday and set it up. Not to bad. Things are growing alright.
Ive been dosing Flourish Excel 1 mL every day, Flourish Comprehensive 2mL, and Flourish Potassium 2 mL 3 times a week and doing a 50% waterchange every sunday. Need to pick up some potassium and maybe nitrogen.
Here are some pics tho, you can see the HC and bacopa have grown a bit in the last 5 days.

And a Betta shot just because..
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 03:21 PM
Planted Member

Its all growing in very nicely! And the Betta is pretty. :-*

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode