Johnson18's 20L Riparium w/Planted HOB - Page 18 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #256 of 289 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 08:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson18 View Post
Sure is! I started with a small cutting of a variegated pothos(Epipremnum aureum) in the HOB. It now has roots in the hob, one of the hanging planters, growing through a trellis raft into the water and substrate all along the back of the tank. I don't think any roots made it down into the HOB the second time around.

The newest leaves are all larger than my hand, about 8"L x 6"W. I would say that this plant is still a juvenile on the edge of being a sub-adult. I had been thinking about cutting it into several pieces and repotting them in a hanging pot outside. I have pretty much decided to let it grow as I'd like to see how close to a full grown adult I can get it! Adult to fully grown leaves/blades range from 18" to 30" long.

Since the addition of more light the variegation has become more pronounced.
Wow thats a long plant! I didn't know their leaves could get that monstrous (adult size)!
After seeing yours and a few other lovely riparium/planted hob setups I really want to slap some plants in mine! I have ugly blue foam covering the spill ways since my tank currently has a betta who doesn't want to stay at the calm end sooo want to cover that. I've been trying to find some undemanding plants I can stuff in the HOB that I don't have to worry about misting/keeping high humidty for BUT stay a manageable size.. though I guess trimming is an easy way to keep them from getting too huge.
Thinking of looking for pothos, aluminum plant, the.. whats it called..*googles* tradescantia zebrine and, maybe maidenhair fern (not sure if I can let this ones leaves just float on the surface, or only over the side of the filter box/tank) to slap into my 2 HOBs on the 20g.

Also wanted to ask: Is that cardamine lyrata growing out of the water and very compact/tiny light leaves under the aluminum plant?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #257 of 289 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 12:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson18 View Post
Sure is! I started with a small cutting of a variegated pothos(Epipremnum aureum) in the HOB. It now has roots in the hob, one of the hanging planters, growing through a trellis raft into the water and substrate all along the back of the tank. I don't think any roots made it down into the HOB the second time around.

The newest leaves are all larger than my hand, about 8"L x 6"W. I would say that this plant is still a juvenile on the edge of being a sub-adult. I had been thinking about cutting it into several pieces and repotting them in a hanging pot outside. I have pretty much decided to let it grow as I'd like to see how close to a full grown adult I can get it! Adult to fully grown leaves/blades range from 18" to 30" long.

Since the addition of more light the variegation has become more pronounced.
Did you watch that TV show Lost? In the shots up in the woods you can the adult form pothos growing all over everything. And they are the variegated form. I also noticed large coarse green wild form Syngonium podophyllum in some areas. They shot that show mostly on Oahu. I suppose Oahu is overrun with invasive weeds.
post #258 of 289 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
Wow thats a long plant! I didn't know their leaves could get that monstrous (adult size)!
After seeing yours and a few other lovely riparium/planted hob setups I really want to slap some plants in mine! I have ugly blue foam covering the spill ways since my tank currently has a betta who doesn't want to stay at the calm end sooo want to cover that. I've been trying to find some undemanding plants I can stuff in the HOB that I don't have to worry about misting/keeping high humidty for BUT stay a manageable size.. though I guess trimming is an easy way to keep them from getting too huge.
Thinking of looking for pothos, aluminum plant, the.. whats it called..*googles* tradescantia zebrine and, maybe maidenhair fern (not sure if I can let this ones leaves just float on the surface, or only over the side of the filter box/tank) to slap into my 2 HOBs on the 20g.

Also wanted to ask: Is that cardamine lyrata growing out of the water and very compact/tiny light leaves under the aluminum plant?
I covered my hob overflow with riccia fluitans to start. I've slowly added more plants to it, Hydrocotyle Japan has been a good one. Wasn't a fan of moss. Pothos, aluminum plants and T. zebrina are all easy plants for an hob. I don't mist mine super often, maybe like once a week depending on the temp & humidity in my house. I've found that I have better luck getting emersed stem plants to adjust to the lower humidity if I don't mist them as often. Most seem to melt if misted too often. I think I've finally got some Hygro. 'Brown' adjusted to growing out of the hob.

That is not cardamine but Lysimachia nummularia commonly called Creeping Jenny. I picked it up fairly cheaply at lowes. It was rinsed well and then dunked in my 55g for a couple days to ensure that any pest had plenty of time to drown.
post #259 of 289 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
Did you watch that TV show Lost? In the shots up in the woods you can the adult form pothos growing all over everything. And they are the variegated form. I also noticed large coarse green wild form Syngonium podophyllum in some areas. They shot that show mostly on Oahu. I suppose Oahu is overrun with invasive weeds.
Oh yeah, it was all over that show. Definitely a weed in the right environment!
post #260 of 289 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Here are a few shots to show the growth in the last 12 days. Most are overexposed, still learning how to best photograph this tank with the new, higher light levels. I've been running the light at 75% the last couple weeks with fairly short photoperiods. I pretty much only turned it on today for these pictures as I forget to put it on a timer or tell my friend to turn it off over the weekend as I was out of town for a wedding in Charleston...ran three days straight.... Damn algae.

Here you can see the plants now well above the top of the light!!

post #261 of 289 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Well, The End is finally here for this tank in it's current configuration. It's getting torn down Saturday afternoon so I can pack up and move across the country on Sunday!

I plan on moving the riparium planters into one of my emersed tanks for the ride. The rest of the plants, except for C. sp. "Flamingo" will be put into a rubbermaid tote with a few inches of water.

Upon arrival in Tucson this tank will be put together with MGOPM capped with the current Black Diamond substrate. I have considered using sifted FoxFarm's Ocean Forest instead. Any opinions on that? The aquascape will be different as well.

I'll try to get a couple shots of the current growth before I break it down. Although I can't promise they will make it up before I leave as I've got a crazy busy week!
post #262 of 289 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

This tank will probably get put back together tomorrow. I will be using MG mixed with black flourite capped with black diamond. The riparium plants have been living in a bucket since leaving SC. I will be hanging the light about 8-12in higher than it was hanging in SC. I had a ton of problems with algae if I kept a photo period high enough to grow the rip. plants really well. Since I don't have the money or desire to add a full CO2 system, at the moment, I will do this instead.
post #263 of 289 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Johnson18's 20L Riparium w/Planted HOB ~ New Substrate and layout

Build is happening today. It's been delayed as I had to let my back rest. I've had a herniated disc for a couple years and the packing, moving, unpacking & setting up the 55 just killed me.

The layout will be totally different as one end of the tank is visible from both front and back(front is the living room back, is the dining room) so it's gotta look damn good or will get banished into my bedroom or bathroom! Hahaha... It'll be a new challenge but I'm looking forward to doing it. I've also purchased a new air pump, top fin 4000, and will run two sponge filters instead of one.
post #264 of 289 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Here's a teaser shot. I'm farther along this but haven't taken any more pics. The driftwood has been covered with narrow leaf java fern. The cut end will end up not showing, though it may take a month or two.
post #265 of 289 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Still trying to piece everything together. It's amazing how slow it goes when you can't move normally.

I've not made much of a mess....

My 14 month old mangrove is gettin big! Taller than my beer.... Hahaha

More to come
post #266 of 289 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 03:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

A tank in the bathroom doesn't sound so bad, something relaxing to stare at while you're taking a dump haha. I understand the want to set up, but take it easy, don't want to make your back worse and risk more permanent damage! How long will it take for the mangrove to get too big for your tanks? What do you plan to do with it once it gets too huge?
Where did you get all your clear planter baskets, ripariumsupply? I'm thinking of getting some more or doing a DIY one out of black plastic craft mesh.. my pothos and 'wandering jew' are getting too long for the hob and need moved/trim and replanted... I need to find suction cups that don't suck if I go diy (all clear suction cups I've bought lose their ability to stay on glass in a year and discolor.. pink O.o)

Look forward to seeing more progress shots and final photo ^^
post #267 of 289 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
A tank in the bathroom doesn't sound so bad, something relaxing to stare at while you're taking a dump haha. I understand the want to set up, but take it easy, don't want to make your back worse and risk more permanent damage! How long will it take for the mangrove to get too big for your tanks? What do you plan to do with it once it gets too huge?
Where did you get all your clear planter baskets, ripariumsupply? I'm thinking of getting some more or doing a DIY one out of black plastic craft mesh.. my pothos and 'wandering jew' are getting too long for the hob and need moved/trim and replanted... I need to find suction cups that don't suck if I go diy (all clear suction cups I've bought lose their ability to stay on glass in a year and discolor.. pink O.o)

Look forward to seeing more progress shots and final photo ^^

I was more worried about losing more plants than really wanting to set up the tank. My back is gonna need surgery in the next year anyways...

That is a Black Mangrove, it's already more than a year old so I don't think I'm gonna have to move it any time soon. Although since I switched to the BML it's growth has definitely sped up! It will eventually get treated like a bonsai and encouraged to stay relatively small. I think that at some point in the next couple years this tank will get swapped for a larger tank as far as the riparium set up goes. This will make the larger mangrove not look so out of place.

I got all the planters & floating trellis rafts from Riparium Supply as well as most of the plants. I noticed last night while washing the suction cups that about half are starting to look cloudy. As long as they continue to work I could care less what they look like, they're covered by the planter anyway.

I cut and replant my wandering Jew fairly often. The Pothos on the other hand I'm trying to encourage to grow into an adult plant, so there will be no cutting of it!

I've still got some adjust of the plants. They need a trim, but I'm going to try and get everything growing again before I start trimming.

The light has also not been hung. That will have to happen today.
post #268 of 289 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 05:34 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Johnson18's 20L Riparium w/Planted HOB ~ New Substrate and layout

I've been quite absent from the forums lately. My plants and tanks haven't suffered nearly as much neglect as y'all! This tank is slowly starting to grow, I didn't pack it nearly as full to start as I did my 55. I kind of wish I had saved a few more plants from the 55 build, but oh well. I'm thinking that I will be pretty pleased with the layout once things start to fill in. The riparium plants suffered a decent bit from the move, and then my lack of speed getting the light hung. I'm sad to say that I think the mangrove has kicked the bucket. I don't think it was a light issue, but that it didn't like the extreme lack of humidity. These pictures are a few weeks old as I've been outta town camping almost two weeks. There has been some nice growth on most of the plants, both above and below the water line. I will take a few more in the next couple days when I do a WC and trim. I've been very pleased/surprised with the growth of the Hygrophila sp. 'Araguaia' over the last couple weeks, the stems have show nice growth, but also getting some nice pink coloring! Thanks BML! Which is actually now hanging 50" above the top of the stand, running at 100%, 9am-9pm. So far there has been no algae(yup, totally just jinxed myself) and I'm getting nice growth all around. Now that I'm gonna be around all the time(no more camping trips haha) I've gotta start thinking about what to put into this tank.... Thoughts? I also want to add some more riparium plants to the mix. I really want to make this tank look bad ass as far as the above water growth goes. It's in the living room of my sister and bro-n-law's house so I would like it to really wow folks.

post #269 of 289 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Looking at & thinking about this tank this morning, I've got such a long way to go before I'm anywhere near happy with it. Right now it pretty much just looks like [censored][censored][censored][censored]. I'm going to work on adding a bunch of riccia, Hydrocotyle & lots of the stems I've got growing emersed. I don't know how they'll do with the total lack of humidity in the house, but it's worth a shot. I've gotta get some wandering jew cuttings added back in there too. As far as additional plants for my spare rip planters, I'm think about maybe adding some sort of Fern & taro. Although I'm not 100% on that yet. I want to add something with more color as well.
post #270 of 289 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 07:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Yay updates! Look forward to seeing the tank fill in!
I got a dwarf taro from pt member hydrophyte recently and lizard tail, but they were sold as "bare root" plants so they aren't in my system yet, just in vase/jar next to tank until they get new growth. Taro already has a new leaf and the lizard's tail has some buds started.
I don't know how wandering jew would do via mail, but if you need some mine grows faster than the pothos so I have to trim is fairly often, I can try shipping some your way... but then buying a new plant would probably cost about as much as shipping for a small flat rate priority box.. offer's still open though.
Will you use Fittonia albivenis and/or aluminum plant in this setup?
I took the riccia out of the outflow of my HOB and slapped it on top of a trellis raft, along with some more submerged grown riccia, I mist it 2x a day and its done well so far (might be able to get away with not misting but also have submerge grown creeping jenny I'm trying to transition to emersed in the setup). Hope yours transitions well! I was tempted to buy some mondo grass today when I was out, but I've run out of room to stick it anywhere in my system lol.. wonder how it would do in a riaprium? Always see it being mis-sold as an aquatic plant. I've not tried another fern since the maidenhair didn't like the transplant.. but I've been tempted to try a different kind (not properly labeled so no clue specie) -and again no room- had thick lime green rubbery leaves, but they unfolded from the core like normal fern.

Tags
buildmyled, hydrophyte, riparium, ripariums, shrimp tanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode