Advertisement

post #317 of 321 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Johnson18's 20L- New Apisto Pair!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBettas View Post
hm, uncommon fish, I like it

Thanks!
I'd originally been looking at Microdevario kubotai but the more I looked I decided I wanted something from the region. I know these are not actually from the same area as the A. erythrura but they're both South American & the same water types. My LFS usually has a couple different Pencilfish species in stock, today it was five types, I believe. He also had some new Apistos in stock, four different species! He did tell me at one point that his Apistogramma list was a full page long.

I was absolutely amazed! Within 3 hours of releasing this crew, the female Apisto was out swimming around! I didn't get my camera all in her face today, there will be more time for that in the future!

This pretty much finishes out my stocking of this tank. Here's what I've got:
2(1m/1f) x F1 Apistogramma erythrura
4 x Corydoras sterbai
13 x Nannostomus marginatus
6(I think?) x Caridina multidentata
3(1m/2f) x Aphyosemion australe
Cap Esterias BSWG 97/24

If anyone has thoughts or comments about my stocking list, I am open to thoughts and discussion.

The killifish will probably go to their own tank soon, but my first priority on the killifish tank goes to getting the other species outta my shrimp tank!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BettaBettas likes this.

Last edited by johnson18; 04-02-2017 at 12:22 PM.
post #318 of 321 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Finally saw the Apistos. I decided to feed some frozen bloodworms last night and boom, there they were! Having gotten them in a breather bag I knew they were small.... Until I got to see them in the tank with some of the other fish as reference, I don't think I realized quite how small they really are!! The Sterbai corys made them look tiny. The female is maybe 0.75 inches & they make is probably 1.25 inches! She was smaller than most of the Pencilfish in the tank, about the size of the smaller female killi!

I didn't get a pic of the male. He was looking good though, a nice red tail, really coloring up. I know he has a way to go until he is fully developed.

Here's the female:

Here's a Cory & both female killis w/the female Apisto. It kinda looks like she's super far back from the others but she is less than an inch from them!!

This female killi has been getting nice and orange! If you look at the first few pics of them they were almost white! Now they are both a nice orange color with that bright blue-ish colored eyes! The pic doesn't fully capture the orange color!

Random Dwarf Pencilfish

BettaBettas and mbkemp like this.

post #319 of 321 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Johnson18's 20L- New Apisto Pair!

I'm not sure how y'all get decent pictures of your Apistos. I've cannot seem to get a good picture of my male! Even with the lack of pictures, I'm fairly pleased to say that the inhabitants of this tank seem happy. All of the fish are out and about, showing good coloration, along with eating well. I'm really enjoying my choice of the Dwarf Pencilfish. They are quite an interesting little group.

I've pulled out a few different stems to throw into my 55. They have been replaced by a variety of Crypts and some dwarf sag. I think this change along with the fact I've stopped dosing Excel regularly, has lead to a slight increase in diatoms on the front glass. No big surprise there. I've got some metricide 14 that arrived over the weekend. I'll be dosing that now, diluted of course.

Last edited by johnson18; 04-17-2017 at 02:53 PM.
post #320 of 321 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Here's a few pictures I've gotten recently.
The pair of Apisto. erythrura

The male:

The female:

In the sunlight.

A. australe - The killis

A couple shots of the males in the bit of early morning sun this tank gets briefly this time of year.

Now for some tank shots- this thing is getting packed full of plants!

The male Apisto. is also in this one

The same end under normal lighting

The other end

Everyone followed me to this end for these pics

mbkemp likes this.
post #321 of 321 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 01:25 AM
Algae Grower

Thank you for sharing those pictures

Tags
buildmyled, hydrophyte, riparium, ripariums, shrimp tanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode