The A. australe trio went into this tank along with the Apistos. I know this isn't ideal and I should have qt tanks running. All of the fish looked healthy(which doesn't necessarily mean a damn thing) and I'll be keeping a close eye on things. If I keep the killis in this tank in the long run, I'll probably add at least another trio. If I don't, I'll probably get another trio & put them all into a 10 gallon tank. The Killifish were donated to the auction by another Tucson hobbyist, so I'm fairly certain I've got a source for more.
I saw all of the new fish yesterday, to some degree or another.
The killis were out swimming around. They had already colored up significantly since the night/morning before(it was well after midnight by the time everyone was acclimatized and into tanks!) The male was enjoying the current around the far end of the tank from the outflow. Every once in a while one of the females would show up there and his colors would get super intense. She would also start to show her colors too, but not as much. Otherwise the females mostly stayed fairly drab, although looked much nice than the scared white minnow look of the day before. All three are fairly young, so I'm sure it will take some time to fully color up!
Here is what a full grown breeding pair of these killis looks like.
Male- this dude doesn't ever stop.
The Apistos were a different story. I saw the female out in front of the moss covered wood arch. That area is heavily planted so my glimpse was through the heavy plant cover just above the substrate level. She looked good though, was much darker than the day before. The male, well, I saw this tail. Hahaha.... I was checking the sponge filters, which are in the back right corner behind the driftwood. I had stuck my head along that side to see the condition on the sponge & his tail was visible on the far side. I'm sure they just need some more time.
In the bag:
Collection habitat data:
I'm sure me messing around with the tank off and on all day didn't help anything!
I took two huge portions of subwassertang and covered the huts using plant weights. I know the weights aren't ideal but I had them & it meant the least amount of time spent with my hands in and out of the tank. A few stems on Ludwigia repens went in this tank as well. Mixed with the repens were a few small bits of Salvinia minima that I tossed in.
The biggest thing I did to the tank yesterday was build a cover. Killifish are known jumpers. While this species is not a huge jumper, I'd rather be safe. Plus it'll cut down on the massive amount of evaporation as well as reduce the light levels just a bit.
Covered for the night!
New cover! It was an old remainder piece of a larger sheet & is a bit warped.
Here's a random shot from me trying to photograph the male... it catches the tannins that my normal tank pictures don't!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk