2. Glossostigma
3. Hygrophila corymbosa
4. Telanthera Rosefolia
5. Java Moss

1. Yellow Neos
2. 2 Nerites
3. Some hitchhiker snails

Some rocks and wood from my backyard lol

So on a bit of a whim, I bought a Fluval Flora. I am coming at the hobby from an interest in plants, not fish, so I feel like I might be lacking a bit of knowledge. I have been reading the world wide interweb as much as my free time allows over the last few weeks. What a fascinating hobby! There is so much information available and the people who appreciate planted aquariums seem like a knowledgeable and friendly bunch.

So, my first try at an aquarium. It's sitting on my home office desk. The filter is horrendously loud if not on the max setting, which I have read is a fault of this particular model. I emailed the place I bought it from hoping they have some idea of how to fix it (it is a loud mechanical noise, like playing cards on bicycle spokes).

It is a Fluval Flora, as I mentioned. I bought a heater for it which should be here in the next few days. I bought an extra bag of substrate. I used rocks and gravel from my backyard (baked, boiled and soaked) to try to create a landslide type of effect for the hardscape. I ordered some plants from the internet before doing much research, so I am going to shove them in and see what happens when they arrive, and cross my fingers.

After the plants have established themselves I am thinking of adding some shrimp (I really like the looks of snowballs and the blue ones!) and maybe a betta. I know the compatibility will be hit or miss, but I have read if everyone is in the tank before adding the betta I may have some luck. (2/14- No betta! Fell in love with Celestial Pearl Danios, I want them instead!)

I am really excited to see how this project develops! This forum has been a godsend, lots of friendly helpful posts to browse, and the tank journal idea is right up my alley.

This is day 2, and after looking I realized I might need to clean the glass!

If I manage to get a thriving shrimp population growing, they might be a good source of food for my flesh-eating windowsill garden! That sounds evil though, so maybe not.

Last edited by bluetibet; 03-21-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 01:10 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed
PTrader: (12/100%)
Looks like you are off to a good start, nice scape! Good luck!

Fraternity of Dirt #72
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 01:28 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
PTrader: (0/0%)
Looks amazing!
with some plants in there, i think this would be a tank to envy.
gl in the future!

Happy plantkeeping!
check it out!!!! -->
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
Thanks So_Fishy and Kibblemania!

So after reading and thinking way too much about aquariums for a weekend, I decided to just shove some plants in and see what happens.

Bacopa australis
Hygrophila corymbosa "Compact"
Telanthera Rosefolia

Wish them luck, they are going to need it lol
I planted them 3 days ago. They would be dead-ish now if they were going to die right?

Last edited by bluetibet; 02-21-2012 at 03:05 AM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
Two things:

1. Should I shove some moss in between the rocks? If yes what kind.

2. Is it possible to give your plants CO2/extra light/fertilizers to get your plants where you want them and then wean them off to slow growth? If the lower tech parameters are still meeting their needs, will they stay alive?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 04:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
1. If you want shrimps, moss is probably a must because they love to graze on it.
java moss would do just fine.

2. no idea.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
The period of time spent waiting between tank setup and livestock acquisition is excruciating. Maybe because it is my first time?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
So it's been about a month since I first started on this planted aquarium adventure. I want 12 more tanks. I have plans for all of them

I added java moss, I took out the CO2 thing, added a garbage bag background (surprisingly easy!) and there are yellow shrimp and some nerites from Rachel (Msjinkzd is my hero).

Please excuse my pics, crappy phone camera is all I got atm

The whole thing:

Made a raft to control my floaters (they just randomly appeared, Salvinia Minima?)

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
I am having difficulty not buying 42 aquariums.

Maybe flood the guest bedroom?

Seriously though, I kind of want a betta sorority. Does anyone have experience with them? I have read that much depends on the temperament of the bettas. Do breeders ever sell groups of "sisters"?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode