Jake's Mr. Aqua 12gal Long/36" Shrimp Tank (pic heavy) - Page 32 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #466 of 521 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 02:35 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
This poor Amano (she's more than two inches in length) is so berried she can barely move:

But that didn't stop her from stealing a giant chunk of Complete Veggie from the CBS & PFRs.

HUNGRY HUNGRY HIPPO!

What a thief.
How did you get an Amano to breed in freshwater? or did you use another tank? I heard it was impossible for them to breed in anything but "brackish" water??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #467 of 521 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 02:48 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Feeding time is always fun. Here are some random photos.

This 2.5"+ Amano stole not one but two pieces of Complete Veggie:

Check out this berried PFR that lost all the color in her midsection:

And this one:

They only seem to lose color in this particular tank. Must be related to hardness and acidity?

Nine berried females in a tank with a pH of 6.4 and GH of 5. They breed faster in this tank than any other I've got. Though, they don't get as large (but live longer) as they do in harder water tanks.

You can see in this photo that the fully adult PFRs are smaller than fully adult PBLs:

Not sure what this tank has in store for it but I feel a change coming.
The reason could be that even though these can adapt and live in soft to hard and acidic to alkaline waters. Cherrys breed best in medium to hard water and slightly acidic water!! I had them in neutral PH for months with a few maybe that became berried after I added them to my CRS tank they cant stop!! I have not noticed the color issue and the only difference in tank water parameteres is I have a bit of higher GH just because I think a medium GH of 7-8 would help them molt better/less deaths. So far I haven't had any issues? Try raising the GH by like 2 and see if it gets better?

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 06-21-2013 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Don't discuss sales outside For Sale section, no exceptions
post #468 of 521 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

Amano Shrimp readily breed in freshwater. Offspring just cannot survive without proper conditions.

Neo shrimp will breed in anything - not just hard water. If you actually read through the journal, you'll see that these PFRs have been slowly adapted to live in the tank with sensitive, high-grade Crystals, so I won't be altering the hardness. I keep plenty of Neos in other tanks with different parameters, as well.
post #469 of 521 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 04:01 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Amano Shrimp readily breed in freshwater. Offspring just cannot survive without proper conditions.

Neo shrimp will breed in anything - not just hard water. If you actually read through the journal, you'll see that these PFRs have been slowly adapted to live in the tank with sensitive, high-grade Crystals, so I won't be altering the hardness. I keep plenty of Neos in other tanks with different parameters, as well.
Ok I was just making a innocent suggestion, I never stated they only breed in HARD cuz I dont even keep my water hard? I simply made a suggestion that the lack of color could be due to exactly what you said however once I changed the GH I didnt notice color issues anymore?? I started my tank at 5 and slowly with water changes over a cpl months raised the GH because I Unfortunately did notice molting issues with the cherrys especially the really red painted fires like you have & 1 had a successful molt only part of the poor things tail came with it so I figured that the waters GH may need to be higher & after some research I learned that Crystal red shrimp actually do better in slightly harder/moderate waters also. I did read the entire thing I simply said that was the only difference in our tanks and since my GH has gone up I haven't noticed any problems but like they say if it aint broke? So I dont blame you for not wanting to mess with your system that is working for you already!
Or MAYBE it just happens like normal woman who get pregnant there looks go? lol so it could be the same lack of color in the belly area it seems "shrimp stretch marks" lol
In my opinion, the true Amano shrimp, Caridina multidentata was previously known to aquarists as Caridina japonica but was renamed Caridina multidentata following a study in 2006. I personally have only seen a amano carrying eggs 1 time &has an obligate requirement for marine water for larval development. It could be possible that very few larvae (about 1 in 100,000) could develop in a freshwater tank, if the water contained high levels of calcium, magnesium or chloride ions. But continuous rearing of Caridina multidentata in freshwater is impossible. that very few larvae (about 1 in 100,000) could develop in a freshwater tank, if the water contained high levels of calcium, magnesium or chloride ions. But continuous rearing of Caridina multidentata in freshwater is impossible.

However, There are some freshwater shrimp that are able to breed in freshwater and look similar to C. multidentata. Maybe the shrimp in question belongs to one of these three species. If a shrimp population is breeding well in freshwater the larval biology and development will be somewhat different to that described in C. multidentata and this will belong to a distinct species. There were a lot of reports in UK and Germany, I am sure they can adapt like any other species considering there mainly kept in freshwater they may have adapted there are a lot of mixed views. I guess you got lucky!! NICE fire reds!

[SIGPIC]

Last edited by kbenson; 06-21-2013 at 04:28 PM. Reason: add what the molting issue was
post #470 of 521 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

I'm confident in their identification based on my own expertise and that of Rachel O'Leary (msjinkzd, my source).

Like I originally said - they will breed readily in freshwater. The young won't survive. Just like Stiphodon atropurpureus will occasionally try breeding in freshwater but the young don't survive.
post #471 of 521 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 04:38 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
I'm confident in their identification based on my own expertise and that of Rachel O'Leary (msjinkzd, my source).

Like I originally said - they will breed readily in freshwater. The young won't survive. Just like Stiphodon atropurpureus will occasionally try breeding in freshwater but the young don't survive.
So do you remove them? I was wondering since they seem to be hard to breed your very very lucky to get them to breed like this maybe if you had a nursery brackish tank? I heard you have a little bit of time to move them from there larval stage to a tank where there actually needing brackish? I am not doubting you however there are many many different species in fact rumors are swirling that they have came from the UK there is only 1 tell tail difference in there look and its the part between the nose? IDK not quit my specialty there way to confusing to breed for me ya know? I just thought if your getting them to become berried like this in freshwater then that is awesome & most who do move them to brackish when berried others feel its too stressful so they wait and collect the eggs however I doubt you could find any lol I am surprised you haven't heard that often? If you can or do collect any eggs just in case you do not know you can put them in a brine shrimp hatchery??

[SIGPIC]
post #472 of 521 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

I usually keep Amanos in tanks with smaller fish, so the offspring get quickly devoured. In a tank like this, they'll just end up being food for the 100 or so shrimp in the tank. Have been thinking about acclimating a few Endlers to the tank to help with the cleanup but don't want to lose any of the other critters in the tank.

There's actually a thread in the Shrimp section of a guy (in the UK, I believe) who has successfully raised a few broods of Amanos. Takes several different phases of salinity and all kinds of green water. It's a super-interesting read.

UPDATE: Actually found two threads by him. Here and here.
post #473 of 521 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

Complete Veggie feeding time!

This Nerite has been outside the tank so many times I can't believe it's still alive:

post #474 of 521 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

It's official. Have decided to rescape this beast.

Possibilities are endless, so it's going to take me a while to figure out what I want to do.

Part of me wants to turn this into tank for just Neos or Tigers. Part of me wants to redo it with Aquasoil and house some of my Taiwan Bee offspring.

If I go with Bees, I'll remove all hardscape and only put Anubias and Crypts back into the tank with bits of moss. Would ideally find some great pieces of Malaysian Driftwood or Manzanita but don't think I have the budget for it at the moment. Not exactly the look I'd prefer for the tank right now but my opinion may change tomorrow.

If I go the Neo or Tiger route, I'll likely leave the Azoo Plant Grower Bed in the tank, add additional rock, leave the Crypt parva, add pressurized CO2 and focus on growing the Marsilea minuta already planted. Dosing ferts would be easier with Neos and I already have everything I'd need.

Just need to think about things for a while. Here's hoping I figure it out soon!
post #475 of 521 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 07:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I vote bees and use the parva and mm for your tiny cubes.
post #476 of 521 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

May end up going that route. Just have to give the scape a bit more thought and do more planning in terms of the aesthetic.

Tank's in a highly visible area, so I have to make sure I've got a decent hardscape at all costs.
post #477 of 521 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 08:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have a bunch of smaller manzanita that might work for you. We could do a trade for some food or supplements or something.
post #478 of 521 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

I'm gonna spend a week or two toying with different scape ideas.

Turns out, there are a few berried mamas and a bunch of tiny baby shrimp everywhere, so I'm going to have to wait until they're large enough to see so I can do anything with the tank.

I KNEW I should have netted those ladies out last week during water change. Ha. Serves me right.
post #479 of 521 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

Here's why I'm close to starting this tank over:

Random moss keeps sprouting up from seemingly nowhere and takes over the tank in a matter of days. Once the moss arrives, hair algae always follows closely behind.

PFR juvies have really started to color up:

Finally! A berried CBS - barely visible in the center of the image:

The white stuff at the bottom of the image is what remains of my old Ramshorn's shell. It died a few weeks ago and the critters in tank have slowly broken its shell down.

Another super-pregnant giant Amano:

And a flowerhead CRS that will hopefully produce some CBS offspring:

Slowly picking up pieces of cheap driftwood as I can to try to have some stuff to work with when it comes to rescaping. Ordered a couple pieces from Alpha Pro Breeders that should arrive by the end of the week. Along with that German shrimp magazine, of course. Here's hoping its not in atrociously translated English with an extreme usage of "shrimps" instead of "shrimp" on every page.
post #480 of 521 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

Aaaand there's another berried Amano.

They need to quit it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode