Jake's Mr. Aqua 12gal Long/36" Shrimp Tank (pic heavy) - Page 11 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 521 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 04:28 AM
Algae Grower

I used a Dremel, too. I'd expect Eheim to use metric but all I had on hand was a 3/32" bit and it matched the existing holes perfectly.

NIKON PIMP 027
EHEIM PIMP 501
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 521 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

I found that it's best to really try spacing the holes out. And, depending upon the filter used, to try various sizes of hole to get flow just right. Because this tank is sooo awkwardly long.
post #153 of 521 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 03:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Got a couple of these silent fans, two mounting kids with brackets and a dual speed controller from Cooler Guys:
do you mind linking the mounting kits for the fans? I'm a bit lost as to how to suspend them over the tank. I ordered a cheap PC power supply though.
post #154 of 521 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

Not sure of the exact link, as I'm not home. They're easy to find on coolerguys.com.
post #155 of 521 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

Replaced the Anubias nana with nana 'petite':

Added 50ish more nodes of Marsilea minuta:

Hope to add a bit more C. parva and then I'm definitely adding shrimp this weekend/sometime next week.
post #156 of 521 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

Had a nice little motorcycle accident earlier (I'm fine) so looks like I'll be working from home the next several days. Which means more tank time! Blessing in disguise? When the other half returns from a business trip, well, uh, they aren't going to enjoy finding out about that insurance claim.

This means that tomorrow, stiffness aside, I'll trim the Bacopa up and make it look a bit more thick, add some more mosses in nooks and crannies of the various rocks, maybe add some C. parva from one of my other tanks because I'm tired of waiting on potential buys, do a huge water change to RO and then add some PFRs on Saturday.

This is a yay moment, right?
post #157 of 521 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 10:28 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well at least you are ok, how fares the 2 wheeler?
post #158 of 521 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

Let's just say I'm still in denial about that.

Thank goodness it wasn't my new bike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoof View Post
Well at least you are ok, how fares the 2 wheeler?
post #159 of 521 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 01:46 PM
Prodigious Plant Pundit

Quote:
Let's just say I'm still in denial about that.

Jake, you didn't strike me as a motorcycle person

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs
post #160 of 521 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

Heh. Start with this comment. My conspiracy theory is that most shrimpers have bikes.

Really was a tank nerd blessing in disguise. Gonna nerd out all day long. Maybe even cull my Babaulti tanks a bit more.
post #161 of 521 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 02:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Had a nice little motorcycle accident earlier (I'm fine)

Quote:

Was in disbelief and mad when I heard that.. then was relieved reading that it wasn't the 1199! But I'm glad to hear you're OK. What happened?
post #162 of 521 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

Please, the tread on those tires will dry rot before I get a chance to risk an accident with it! Ha. Gave up my car as an excuse to get it, even. Compromises, compromises.

What happened: Was waiting to enter our underground garage when a drunk driver (!) plowed into me. I'd say it was partially my fault because I wasn't watching for drunk drivers. Just glad it was the bike and not me. Fell of pretty quickly, thankfully.

Working on tank nerd stuff today made it all better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manualfocus View Post
Was in disbelief and mad when I heard that.. then was relieved reading that it wasn't the 1199! But I'm glad to hear you're OK. What happened?
post #163 of 521 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 05:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Please, the tread on those tires will dry rot before I get a chance to risk an accident with it! Ha. Gave up my car as an excuse to get it, even. Compromises, compromises.

What happened: Was waiting to enter our underground garage when a drunk driver (!) plowed into me. I'd say it was partially my fault because I wasn't watching for drunk drivers. Just glad it was the bike and not me. Fell of pretty quickly, thankfully.

that's seriously nuts! glad you're ok, did the guy get arrested?
post #164 of 521 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 05:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:

I always try to watch this once in awhile to remind myself to give room for a potential rear end situation and an escape route: http://youtu.be/bN48za-o0VQ

I'd give up my car too if it didn't snow here. Gas is getting so expensive, and driving my 20 MPG car is kickin' my ass. I'm still waiting on pictures of that bike!

So, since you spent so much time in the tank, let's see some pics of the tank too!
post #165 of 521 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

Yep, the guy got picked up by the po-leece, to say the least. I always give myself tons of stopping room and made sure there was nothing behind me as I waited to enter but ol drunky came out of nowhere, I guess.

Actually did a lot less to the tank than planned. Decided to only add a single clump of C. parva to the left. Only did a tiny bit of Bacopa australis trimming. Figure it's best not to mess with things too much.

Did a 99% water change with 80TDS RO/DI reconstituted with Mosura Mineral Plus Ultra. Added a bag of Purigen to the filter.

Tank as it stands:

115TDS
5-6 Nitrates
6 pH
0-1 KH
3GH

Fully expect it to hit about 140-150 TDS within two weeks because of stuff in the tank and the "lace" rock I'm using. GH should hit 5. Figure those are nearly perfect params for what I plan to keep.

Couple cell phone shots because, well, who the heck knows where the DSLR is?

So gross how the iPhone 4 renders greens and yellows with LEDs. Thank goodness I love the shimmer effect and the light this sucker produces. Swear it doesn't look so washed out and bleak in-person.

Gonna add some Willow Moss later. Forgot to do that while the tank was half empty.

Can't wait to add a few PFRs tomorrow!

Now I need to decide what I want to do with the full tank. I KNOW I want some SS/SSS CBS. Maybe move a few Amano Shrimp over. Just can't decide if I want to add some extra Otos I've got to this tank or move 5-6 of them to my Ebi with the dozen Boraras brigittae, dozen Amano Shrimp, Yellow Shrimp and snails. Their bioload is nil so that wouldn't hurt much. . I guess they can live in my quarantine tank for as long as they want, really.

Feels nice to to be at this stage of the new tank game. It'll be pretty in six months.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode