Victorian Restoration - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 12:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Wow that's an amazing find.

Boy I would have left that amazing old patina on there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Cretum Aqua Planta

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
Extremely cool fond. I think you should do some research and the initially set-up should be historically accurate as to what plants & fish were keep in the hobby back then.

I know C. Becketti was on a of the 1st Crypts keep in the hobby. If that fits your time-line I'd offer to donate one if you choose to do an historically correct 'scape.
You know, I may just do that. I know a guy who is the premier antique aquarium collector and see if he can help me. He has this same tank but his has all the finials, that's how I know mine's missing them. He said this was a rare find, I have to admit it's the first Victorian tank I've ever found. All the others I've been able to find are no older than the 1920's.
The above mentioned collector told me that very few tanks were made in the 19th. century as they were out of the price range for everyone but the very wealthy so few were made and even fewer survive. Most were melted down for the two world wars during their scrap drives.

Better Living Through Chemistry
post #18 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Cretum Aqua Planta

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
Wow that's an amazing find.

Boy I would have left that amazing old patina on there.
Well since it wasn't the original finish I felt no harm done. I needed to protect it from further rusting, to not do so would have eventually led to it becoming a pile of rust. The only original paint still on this is the bottom of the tank which is a matte black color. Not very attractive.

post #19 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 01:48 AM
Algae Grower

Super cool. I've actually been wondering if any tank builders or metal fabricators would be willing to recreate one of these style tanks. I just think they feel more like a piece of furniture...
post #20 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Cretum Aqua Planta

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffman View Post
Super cool. I've actually been wondering if any tank builders or metal fabricators would be willing to recreate one of these style tanks. I just think they feel more like a piece of furniture...
Some of the Jewel tanks of the 1920's were reproduced but didn't sell well, they were more expensive than the originals! I have seen some reproductions of the Fiske octagonal tabletop tanks as well but not as many of them. I think if they reproduced one like this that they'd have the same problem, too expensive for most people and they wouldn't make enough money to cover their expenses.

post #21 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 02:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Oh I missed that it's cast iron. Those pictures looked to me like it was bronze. I suppose that is just as well to paint it.
post #22 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 03:36 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
Extremely cool fond. I think you should do some research and the initially set-up should be historically accurate as to what plants & fish were keep in the hobby back then.
Also, this! ^^^ Excellent idea!

-KC

Lover of kuhli loaches and dwarf puffers!
RAOK Club #123!
KC's Uninteresting Tank
post #23 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 03:42 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I found this link that provides links to books written on aquariums in the 1800's
http://www.miapg.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1812

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
post #24 of 120 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Cretum Aqua Planta

Update

The tank is ready for a leak test. New 1/4" Starfire glass has been installed with black silicone and brass eagle finials are where the originals would have been.

This last photo is of another cast iron tank from the same era as mine showing the same color/finial scheme:

post #25 of 120 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 07:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

I love what you do with these old tanks. Once again another great find and restoration.
post #26 of 120 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 09:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Very Kewl! Thanks for continuing to share.
post #27 of 120 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Cretum Aqua Planta

Water and Stand Tests

Well, the aquarium passed the water test, no leaks and the stand didn't collapse when I filled the tank so it looks like next step is to get it set up for plants and later fish. I'm testing it in my basement in case it collapses. My Victorian terrarium fits perfectly on the stand too. First time this tank will have been used as an aquarium in who knows how long. Nice that I can still use it 130 years after it was made. Wonder how many tank/stand combos will still be useable in 2142?

post #28 of 120 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 05:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

post #29 of 120 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 05:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Wow that is another awesome vintage tank you have there. I wish I had the chance to see one of these in person. What is the date of that terrarium that you have there? It looks really nice all restored and where did you find the finials at?

All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
post #30 of 120 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Cretum Aqua Planta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ua hua View Post
Wow that is another awesome vintage tank you have there. I wish I had the chance to see one of these in person. What is the date of that terrarium that you have there? It looks really nice all restored and where did you find the finials at?
Thanks, no date on the terrarium but it looks like the same time period as the aquarium. The finials were made to go on outside gas lights.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode