The Planted Tank Forum banner

No Fish Ten Gallon

7K views 55 replies 13 participants last post by  xjasminex 
#1 · (Edited)
So i originally had Caspian in a 5 gallon....he seemed to get bigger after i bought him or something...so i uped him to this ten gallon!

I dont have build pics, sorry, but here's what its turned into!

Specs:
Ten gallon tank
Two CFL in stock hood (15 watt)
Aqua tech 5-15 gallon filter
jager 75 watt heater
MGOCPS capped with pool filter sand

Flora:
Jungle Val
Corkscrew Val
Amazon Sword (compact)
Anubias
Java Fern
Red Tiger Lotus
Dwarf Sag
Crypt Wenti

Fauna:
Two Nerite Snails
One Prince Caspian, abeautiful double tail halfmoon betta

I just had a BGA issue, but its pretty much gone now, and it cant be seen in the pictures.

I also added a few ocmocote plus caps under some of the plants after i took this picture and i will take a new pic later today or so because they are already improving things!

I also use excel every other day or so aswell!

See less See more
#7 ·
Thanks!
I have two 15 watt cf bulbs in the hood. The bga algae is pretty much gone as far as I can tell, but I wish I could grow a different algae so my snails could have more to eat! I also bought a zoomed 501 off h4n on here so that should help with overall water movement in the tank.

Right now caspians fins keep getting torn from something in the tank, I have previously sanded down his log (which he loves and uses all the time), I also just glued some mini pellia to his leaf to cover up the edges of it, and I have a ton of java moss and some x-mas moss so I plan to cover the inside of his driftwood arch in them to make it fin proof too. And I was thinking it could be the water flow too doing it to him s hopefully the zoomed should help there too!

#8 ·
Here's the tank now, there's crypts in the back behind the wood that are growing good, the dwarf sag is slowly spreading....and I just added what I was told was marselia minuta as well. The Val's are not growing as fast as they are said to...I'm kinda disappointed in that...and the tiger lotus is growing too, but the marimo ball is right in front of so you can't really see it. Oh and I added some x-mas moss to the wood and also to trident java fen on it as well.

#16 ·
Thanks everyone!

Caspian eats shrimp...and I think he eats baby pond snails too when I'm not looking...he wasn't fond of the guppy I put in there either, I think Caspian had a hand in his demise...I don't think I have enough algae for ottos either.

That's a nice looking betta. How do you like the floating log? Does he use it at all?
He loves his log and uses it all the time, I sanded it down to make sure there were no sharp spots, because I thought it might be causing his fins to be ragged...

Nice tank! From what I've read here on "TPT", Val,s don't like excel.
I read that also...I also read you had to acclimate them to it, so for like a week I only did 1/4th the dose and then so on and so on but nope still kinda slow growing, I added some osmocote plus under them and I think that has helped some but not a ton.

#19 ·
I bought some seachem flourish and added it on Sunday, along with a water change and the other day i could already tell the difference! I would love the bottom to carpet with the supposed mm and dwarf sag, because my betta is so fond of laying flat on the gravel and sand...I suspect this might not be great for his very long fins.

Pics are soon to come!

#20 ·
So I was thinking today about maybe kinda redoing this tank, since Caspians fins keep getting torn I put him in the 2.5 to heal up, I was thinking that maybe the Val's might be causing some damage becausing the edges are kinda rough to the touch...and I'm really liking the crypts that I got from knuggs that are growing in the back left corner, they are doing great with the lighting that I have in there and they arnt melting at all, unlike the Val's (maybe they don't like my water..? The Val's I have in the goldfish tank arnt doing swell either....) and they are soft when you touch them....I think it would look cool to kinda have a crypt forest in there...

Im really liking this idea...probably will be done soon when I have a day off from my new busy job and it's nice and warm outside =]

#21 ·
Sorry to hear about your Caspian's torn fin. I had a similar type of betta before, and I had him in an empty tank (with just pebbles), and the fin still gets torn. I don't think the fins are torn by things around him, but more of self inflicted. Probably stress? not sure.

Anyway, is he really healing in that 2.5?

Good luck redo-ing the tank though. I just redid my betta tank as well. It's really fun!

#22 ·
He's only been in it for a day now, I'm adding salt and keeping It at 80, with some duckweed to grab any ammonia he puts out and feeding him lots of protein , as far as today goes he does look like its done him some good, I think he is really active and he tears them when he swims fast or when he thinks it's time to attack the nerites, the tears are evenly distributed around his fins on the edges, it's not like he keeps damaging one part, and its why I don't think he's a tail biter, they are more tears then missing pieces. And the only stress he might have may come from the snails, he has been quite taken with attacking their shells lately...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.