20g long w/nano fish - 1wpg now 2wpg - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

20g long w/nano fish - 1wpg now 2wpg

I just picked up a free light for my 20g long with nano fish (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/lo...long-1w-g.html). It is a Coralife T5 fixture that accommodates two 21w bulbs. The tank is situated on a double stand in the bottom position, so I will be hanging the light above the tank and putting a glass top on the tank.

I purchased plants with the idea of this being a 1w per gallon tank, but now I suddenly have more light.

Current plant list:
Hygrophila difformis (wisteria)
Trident java fern
Anubias nana
Echinodorus bolivianus
Bolbitis heudelotii
Anacharis narrow leaf

Questions:
1) Will my current plant list work? Would you recommend any additional plants?

2) I'm guessing I'm going to need CO2... would you recommend DIY or the Fluval pressurized kit?

3) What spectrum bulbs should I purchase for the light?

4) Will the Pferts medium tech + root tabs be sufficient as far as fertilization is concerned?

5) How far from the top of the tank should I hang the light? I do need to put a glass top on it because the cats will go fishing otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Pictures (plants haven't come in yet, so there are just a few randoms in there):

A pic showing how the tank is situated in the stand so you can get an idea of how I will be able to mount the light (the picture mostly shows the 75g on the top part of the stand, but you can see the 20 long in the bottom left hand corner):
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 05:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikelodeon79 View Post
I just picked up a free light for my 20g long.
It is a Coralife T5 fixture that accommodates two 21w bulbs.
What spectrum bulbs should I purchase for the light?
Get something around 6500. I believe they are cheapest at Pet Blvd.com
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 05:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to HolyAngel
1) Will my current plant list work? Would you recommend any additional plants?
The current plants should work. any stem plants would probably make a good addition, just no highlight-co2 demanding plants.

2) I'm guessing I'm going to need CO2... would you recommend DIY or the Fluval pressurized kit?
DIY or a real pressurized setup, paintball or professional. The fluval one is a giant money pit and not worth it.

3) What spectrum bulbs should I purchase for the light?
6500k are fine but anything in the 5k-10k range will work fine. even the colormax bulbs they sell work fine when combined with a 6500k.

4) Will the Pferts medium tech + root tabs be sufficient as far as fertilization is concerned?
Should be totaly fine there.

5) How far from the top of the tank should I hang the light? I do need to put a glass top on it because the cats will go fishing otherwise.
at 12" from the substrate you should be getting around 40 par, so maybe 4-6 inches above the top if you want better spread of the light and lower intensity with less co2 demand. here's a good link for that info:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...-database.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode