1) Will my current plant list work? Would you recommend any additional plants?
The current plants should work. any stem plants would probably make a good addition, just no highlight-co2 demanding plants.
2) I'm guessing I'm going to need CO2... would you recommend DIY or the Fluval pressurized kit?
DIY or a real pressurized setup, paintball or professional. The fluval one is a giant money pit and not worth it.
3) What spectrum bulbs should I purchase for the light?
6500k are fine but anything in the 5k-10k range will work fine. even the colormax bulbs they sell work fine when combined with a 6500k.
4) Will the Pferts medium tech + root tabs be sufficient as far as fertilization is concerned?
Should be totaly fine there.
5) How far from the top of the tank should I hang the light? I do need to put a glass top on it because the cats will go fishing otherwise.
at 12" from the substrate you should be getting around 40 par, so maybe 4-6 inches above the top if you want better spread of the light and lower intensity with less co2 demand. here's a good link for that info: