And so it has begun... - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I got my Eheim 2213/Classic 250 today. I LOVE it already! I got the kit that includes the shut off valves for the hoses. That will make filter cleaning days so much easier. It also came with ceramic rings, coco pufs, floss and carbon pad (which I removed), already installed, and the spray bar, of course.

This is my first canister filter and ummm the directions are pretty much useless. I fired up youtube and 20 minutes later I was priming it. Uhhhh...idunno if I forgot to screw the hose cap down tight but it popped off the output and yea water started squirting out. lol Luckily, I hit the shut off valve real quick so it didn't make too much of a mess. I would not want this filter without those shut offs! I have it running on my 12 gallon tank to seed until I get the shrimp tank set up. The flow is a bit strong for my Bettas so I closed off the outflow some.

There is NO noise. It is totally silent. I put it in a plastic shoe box and I'll get a flood alarm to put in there. I think you should always have one of those with an external filter.

That's all for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 01:08 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
That is too much. Cheaper in the store. I just bought a cheap PC fan ($5) and spliced the wire into a phone charger adapter. Just match the volts. Then taped in the light strip.
You can "show" a PC 12volt fan anything under 12volts it will only spin slower. Getting above 15volts and you'll start to burn up the windings in the motor. So, if you have an AC adapter that you'll use for this purpose, anything above 3volts should get the fan spinning and anything over 7volts should move enough air to be effective (depending on the specs of the fan).
post #18 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 01:09 AM
Algae Grower

Also, pics of your setup!
post #19 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'll pay for the convenience of plug and play. lol I don't have any pics yet because I haven't actually bought the shrimp tank yet. lol I'll get that this wknd and then I'll start the pic journal. Thanks for your interest.
post #20 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 03:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucantimagine View Post
I was referring to the thermostat, not the fan.
That too still cost too much. Pet Smart probably cheaper.
post #21 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Petsmart doesn't have programmable thermostats.
They are $30 something dollars and up depending on the model. If you find a cheaper one, let me know...
I'm not talking about rigging any wires or any of that business. I'm talking about a thermostat that you plug into an outlet, that has a outlet to plug your device into that you can set to control the device.
post #22 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 04:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I'm talking about a thermostat that you plug into an outlet, that has a outlet to plug your device into that you can set to control the device.
I have never heard of anybody using flood alarm or programmable thermostats. You are making this so complicated. I don't understand why since you don't have sensitive fauna.
post #23 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

A flood alarm has nothing to do with fauna. Filters fail, connections leak. It's very practical and uncomplicated to have an alarm sound if your floor gets wet. And like I said, more than once, I will have more sensitive species. Using a fan to cool the water is not complicated at all. Neither is having a device turn the fan on and off for you. It's all rather simple and practical. You do what works for you, I'll do what works for me.

I don't understand why you keep nitpicking my thread. You're not offering any helpful info so uhhhh...
post #24 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 04:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I don't understand why you keep nitpicking my thread. You're not offering any helpful info so uhhhh...
Well I didn't mean to nitpick. It is just this is an expensive hobby and hate see you spending money on things you do without.

I unscribe for don't want to start an argument.
post #25 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Setting up. Still a lot of flora to bring in... Pics aren't fancy schmancy lol, just point and shoot.
Question - How much water movement is sufficient? The water moves throughout the entire tank, but it's not enough to stop surface scum from settling. I'm only running and Eheim 2213/250 spraybar. (20 long tank)

post #26 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My bf calls this Marina Breeding Box The Boom Boom Room. lol I'll put some moss in there soon.

The heater will go back to the other tank when I move the fish. I use the digital thermometer as a reference only, to check for fluctuations. I'm not 100% trusting of it as the only temp telling device.

Amanos move in tomorrow to take care of the hair algae. My fishies will have to go back to their slightly less beautiful 12 gallon tank. lol

I didn't really want the swords and lily in the shrimp tank, but the other tank only has a 6watt power compact light and I didn't want them to die off. I left all my Crypts in that tank, they're doing well.
post #27 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

post #28 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

They love the mat filter.
post #29 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 10:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Looking good.
post #30 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Got through the first 24 with no deaths and a lot less algae. lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode