1 Gallon Shrimp Cubus! (now with plants!!!) - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 104 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenxes View Post
Lol happy bday! The sponge filter is fine for shrimp, a lot of ppl only use a sponge filter. Where did you get yours? I might just get one of those instead.

Yeah the dimensions of the 2 are very similar, but the gallon per hour are very different. I think the Palm is a different model. I just started a 2 gallon bowl ($9-10 @ Walmart), not sure if I should filter that too or what to use, do you do water changes or clean your 4g betta bowl often?
Thank you!!!
I rigged one up out of an airstone, a pump, an intake tube from a spare hob I had lying around, and a a pre filter sponge from one of my nano's.
though petco sells complete already made nicer sponge filter.
The sponge is the fluval prefilter sponge form petsmart.
I love those things.. Initially it was just to stop sand from entering my HOBs. But they stop all the crud from gettign into my filter and add awhole extra layer on my bio filtration. I just love them.
Plus its already teeming with good bacteria from being in my tansk for months on end. Figured It was a good solution till I figures out something else.
I've never looked at walmart. Homegoods is way closer and their glass is the same price.. I should look if I wanna start one again.
Initially I did a waterchange once a week. Buut its stabalised now and I do a waterchange about once a month. Maybe a little longer. I test it once every two weeks, so whenever I see any changes in the parameters.
which is normally once a month lol..

I hadnt looked at that. I need somethign with pretty low flow. Perhaps I should buy one from drfosters soon. Maybe they just have a large stock left....hmm...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 104 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 05:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I ended up getting another hagen elite mini internal for $7 :/ how do you make your own sponge filter with an air pump? I have a spare lying around.

That's a very low maintenance bowl without a filter, I guess the snails eat the fish poo and process it down further so the plants use it up fast? I threw some malaysian trumpets in everything I have.
post #18 of 104 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I ended up getting another hagen elite mini internal for $7 :/ how do you make your own sponge filter with an air pump? I have a spare lying around.

That's a very low maintenance bowl without a filter, I guess the snails eat the fish poo and process it down further so the plants use it up fast? I threw some malaysian trumpets in everything I have.
Well... the sponge is meant to fit over an intake tube.
I always replace the filter that comes with my tanks with an Aquaclear So I have a few extra HOBs lying around.
I took an extra airstone I have and made it smaller, Weighted down the bottom of the sponge with a few pieces of slate, Cut the intake tube down to size, about 2 cm below the lid of the cubus. I stuck the airstone in the bottom of the sponge, took the airline tubing and stuck it down to intake and to the airstone. Connected it, and fit the intake into the sponge. It took some fiddling to make sure that the air went up the tubing and was pulling water through the sponge. But in the end it works out well for a filter in a pinch.
I'm out of money and my shrimp come tomorrow, so This is the best filter their gonna get for now. I just wish I knew if I could make it smaller. Its bit big for my liking.
Can't wait for something smaller...

It is very low maintenance. I do a 25 - 50% water change about once a month and feed my betta once day. The shrimp I dont feed.. they just survive off of... who knows what... lol
Oddly theres no snails... Just a single zebra nerite...
There were bladder snails... but after a while there not a single on in there. Not sure if there just wasnt anything to eat, or if my betta picked them off.
I haven't been to the store yet to look at my options as far as filters go. But so far it looks like I'm gonna be ordering one online in the future.\
Trying to convince my friend that she needs an azoo filter for her 5 gallon betta tank. Her internal filter takes up too much space!! lol..
I really just want her to split shipping with me...
post #19 of 104 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Ok!!
I finally planted this thing!!
I had a huge hardscape dilemma.
Nowhere within a reasonable distance carries driftwood.
So I normally go out and find what I need. Same with rocks...
I had a problem!! All the wood I found was either soft or I didn't trust it (that means it smelled). I finally found an old gnarled section of trunk that had been rotting away on a hillside for god knows how long. I believe it once belonged to a pink pepper tree.
I picked it up and immediately found what I was looking for.
There.. on the side.. Was the remnants of a branch.
I took it home as started attacking it with a hammer.
Because well... Im a civilized human being and this is how we handle things... With a hammer.
It didnt look good at first. It was clear that this thing had been ravaged by bugs and termites.
There was a lot of rotting soft wood.
But would you know it. It got more solid as I got closer to my branch.
Eventually I ended up with a rough representation of what I wanted.
Before this branch I had no idea what I wanted to do.
I spent at least 12 hours last night boiling and cleaning this thing. Scraping away all the soft dead parts, revealing a beautiful piece of wood underneath. It took at least 5 hours for it to finally sink. And another 6 before it was all clean and not leaching tannins..
But I finally got it clean.
Now my problem with rocks was really simple. Every rock I collected that I likes had rust in the middle.
I can't have rust with shrimp!!
I finally found a small light grey rock that worked out well.
I'm still up in the air about it. I sort of feel that it too light.
I'm waiting for the fissidens to fill in before I officially decide. Let me know what you think!!
Ok.. So I added in a 10 watt heater. Tested it to see what temp it keep the tank... At a nice 76 - 78...
The substrate it black sand from caribsea...
The shrimp arrive today according to the tacker on USPS so hopefully I'll have pics of them in it tonight.
I rigged up a sponge filter from a prefilter sponge I had one my aquaclear in my 6.6 gallon. Its pre cycled which is awesome.
I had a die off in my first batch of shrimp I ever ordered.... I hope this one goes better know that I know what I'm doing.. I just hope that the sponge is enough.
It sort of looks vaguely jungle inspired to me.
Ok so heres the stats..
Tank - 1 Gallon Marina Cubus (6"x6"x6")
Substrate - CaribSea Tahitian Moonlight Sand cap, MGOPS base.
Lighting - 3 LED Stocklight
Filter - Sponge DIY
Heating - Marina 10 watt
CO2 - Excel
Fertz - MGOPS
Hardscape - Local rocks
Flora - Marsilea Quadrifolia (I hope it stays in clover form in this tank), Fissidens Fontanus, Anubias Nana Petite, Mini pellia, Creeping Jenny, and Water Wisteria.
Will be adding crypt parva, and more creeping jenny.
Fauna - 8 Yellow Shrimp (possibly less)

Sorry for the bad pics once again.
My cell is horrible and I am super shaky. Plus LED's and my camera dont go well... Hopefully you get the idea.
These are the 3 angles I'll see it most often from.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0201120055a.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	41224  

Name:	0201120054.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	41225  

Name:	0201120055.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	41226  

Name:	0201120054a.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	41227  

Last edited by Eldachleich; 02-01-2012 at 08:35 AM.
post #20 of 104 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 07:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Nice! Good job with the wood! It fits snug in that corner. I still need to find a few branches for my bowl.

Also think the rock is a little light, but I like the shape. I know there is aquatic safe spray paint but I wouldn't risk it. I think Home Depot had cheap black river rocks in the garden section. Or just go to a park and look in a river/stream, you live in CA after all!

You could probably just tie some more fissidens to the rocks and wait for them to cover it.
post #21 of 104 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 08:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

i love it! good job !
post #22 of 104 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Nice! Good job with the wood! It fits snug in that corner. I still need to find a few branches for my bowl.

Also think the rock is a little light, but I like the shape. I know there is aquatic safe spray paint but I wouldn't risk it. I think Home Depot had cheap black river rocks in the garden section. Or just go to a park and look in a river/stream, you live in CA after all!

You could probably just tie some more fissidens to the rocks and wait for them to cover it.
I love that wood.... It was an awesome find..
My biggest problem with this tank is.. Its probably the best tank I've done..
Its a super cute and wonderful and awesome in person.
But it looks terrible in photos...
I really hope I can find my camera charger sometime soon...
Its not translating at all... Dissapoints me... You cant even see the shrimp...
If you look real hard you can see little vaguely shaped super blurry mustard coloured spots... Those are the shrimp... Still juvies.. Unfortunately one jumped out within the hour... Every other one is doing well and seems to be enjoying their new home.
I'm still searching for stones..
The problem is when have lots of wonderful stones.. But they either aren't what I'm looking for, or have rust inside of them when I crack them open...
I love this little tank though...
post #23 of 104 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

post #24 of 104 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

An update -

Ok.. well... I have some issues with this tank. Mainly just the light.
Its a cute LED, actually a bit brighter than I though it would be, but I'm beginning to doubt its enough light for my purposes.
I just do not know if it is enough to grow even lowlight plants. The anubias seems to be doing well, and the moss is already starting to pick itself up and frond out. But everything else seems to be sitting there. Theres no real evidence for this yet. I just have a feeling that it is not enough light for my purposes.
I was at Ikea and they have a clip on super bright LED reading light for around $15.
I might try that light and see if it makes me feel better.
Other than that everything is going great.
The shrimplettes are thriving and great little guys to watch in this tank...
A few of them disappeared for a few days and emerges much more yellow than before.
I'm very pleased with them.
The driftwood is slowly releasing tannins into the water, I stuk a packet of carbon in a few hours ago to help get them out. I plan on taking it out in another few hours.
What else..
Oh! I added in some crypt parva in between the rocks and mosses, some more creeping jenny in that one spot where I only have those two tiny stems, and some Java fern to the sponge filter.
I'm going to be adding some anubias nana to the back of the driftwood near the top.
I want to encourage it to start growing emersed and up the stem of the driftwood that pokes out of the water.
I HATE the wires. So many tubes and wired for this little tank.
I really need to start organising them so that it doesnt drive me up the wall when I;m getting ready in the morning.
Again this requires a trip to Ikea...
Is that it.. I think so.. Wait no..
There were two shrimp deaths.
They both happened on the first day. Within an hour of adding them one of them jumped out onto the counter. I neglected to notice till later that evening.
And later that night, I found one dead in the front corner.
I did a test and all the parameters are fine, the temp was fine, no sudden spikes or drops in anything.
I've been monitoring them ever since as well. Everyone seems happy and healthy so I think the dead one in the tank was an isolated case. Perhaps shipping did the poor little guy under.
Hopefully once I get this new light I can take a decent picture of the scape....
post #25 of 104 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 09:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Hmm I'm testing an IKEA LED reading light in my bowl, the aponogeton is growing, but then again I think it will grow in complete darkness. I put new clippings in, will see if they do anything in a week. I've never had a shrimp jump out of water. Add some frogbits, I think they help. Is the filtration too strong? Can they walk around without being blown away?
post #26 of 104 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Hmm I'm testing an IKEA LED reading light in my bowl, the aponogeton is growing, but then again I think it will grow in complete darkness. I put new clippings in, will see if they do anything in a week. I've never had a shrimp jump out of water. Add some frogbits, I think they help. Is the filtration too strong? Can they walk around without being blown away?
Unfortunately no one near me carries any of the floaters associated with the aquarium trade.
I use my baby water lettuce..
Which I never uploaded a picture of... Shame on me.
But I don't want a floater in this tank... I'm not sure why that shrimp jumped, but none of the others go near the surface of the water.

I'm pretty sure we are talking about the same light. It would be wonderful so see how it goes.. It seemed pretty powerful for such a tiny light.
Of course that doesnt mean it will grow plants... I hope it does well.
I would really like a replacement light.

No, the current is nice and soft. It just the current given off by an airstone, so there isnt much current at all...
post #27 of 104 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Oh tannins..
How I hate you...
I love tannins really.
Blackwater Biotopes inspire me. They look amazing and I've been looking for a great reason to set one up.
But I hate tannins in normal tanks. I want clear crystal water...
I boiled this wood... For days..
Partly because there was a lot of soft parts to get out. And my house is kind of lacking in the convenient tools department, And partly because I wanted the tannins gone. And partly to sink it. It sunk after the first 4 hours. The next bit was harder. I wanted the tannins out.
I finally got it so that the water was clean no matter how long or hard I boiled it.
Turns out they werent gone.
They have invaded my tank. Its funny to watch though. Since its a sponge filter theres very little flow. Every day it moves about 2 inches away from the wood. Slowly encroaching upon the rest of the tank.
A dark red wave of hate and destruction. Slowly engulfing my little tank.
I want it gone...
Some of my shrimp are growing way faster than the others. And some of them are a much more yellow. I'm not going to cull this batch though. Not yet.
We will see.
Thats all... I wish you guys could see how this actually looked. These pictures literally do nothing for anything... Ugh...
post #28 of 104 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

So...
I got some more plants to put in. I have them floating in my betta bowl right now..
Java fern, creeping jenny, crypt parva, and cabomba are waiting to be planted.
I've been slowly draining it by 25% a few times a day. I am trying to get the tannins out. Without shocking the shrimp. On my next waterchange I am going to plant them.
I got a new light for it. A single LED reading light from Ikea. MUUCH brighter.
Got a few over exposed but better pics...
Hopefully this is better for my tank...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0207121826.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	41670  

Name:	0207121825.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	41671  

Name:	0207121827.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	41672  

post #29 of 104 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 02:24 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Looks good! The bathroom is a great place for a tank IMO =]
post #30 of 104 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 02:35 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

How cute is that?! Love what you've done!

I especially love that part of the driftwood is out of the water. Very natural look!

-KC

Lover of kuhli loaches and dwarf puffers!
RAOK Club #123!
KC's Uninteresting Tank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode