Marconis' 55g soil/low-light journal - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 07:02 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconis View Post
Does anyone know how I can combat this algae in my tank (the brown hair stuff)? I have never experienced it before, and when I did a water change, I accidentally knocked a lot off the Hornwort and it spread all over my tank. I want to try and maintain it or eliminate it before it goes out of control. Or, should I just wait it out...

Thanks
I just went through this with my tank. to my suprise someone sugested H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) i thought hu never thought of that. im happy to report it works great and the fish love it the plants love it. everyones happy. the way to do it is dose 1ml to each gallon. ie. in my 125 gallon tank i dosed 125 ml of H2O2 in about 2 days i noticed it starting to die. Hope this helps!

Brandon Deibler
Wichita, Kansas

125 planted tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Oh, wow, I'll definitely look into that tonight once I'm done with all my school work. Thanks.

Nicholas
55 Gallon Low Light, Dirt

The Fraternity of Dirt #65

post #33 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 10:41 PM
Planted Member

Oh so you're the culprit who bought the driftwood that I was eyeing up for some time. But don't worry. I won't be going on a man-hunt looking for you. Anyways, I really like this tank. Very green! So what do you plan on putting in this tank fish-wise. Definitely can see some angels in here.
post #34 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

No way, really? I LOVED it the second I saw it, so...sorry! Had to buy it :p. I think I am going to stock up on some more Pristella Tetra's, but as for another species, I haven't quite decided. I'm not really into Angels, unfortunately.

Nicholas

post #35 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 11:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
No way, really? I LOVED it the second I saw it, so...sorry! Had to buy it :p. I think I am going to stock up on some more Pristella Tetra's, but as for another species, I haven't quite decided. I'm not really into Angels, unfortunately.
take advantage of our soft water and get some GBR's. I am def getting a pair for my next project.
post #36 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hey, the algae in my tank seems to be subsiding. If not subsiding, it has at least taken a lot longer to come back after my water change (Monday)...my water is also crystal clear, and the dwarf sag is letting off runners like crazy. I'm very happy!

Nicholas

post #37 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Some photos I just took:

Never seen my Rotala grow like this:

Nicholas

post #38 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 06:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

Wow! Explosive. That's a sign of a happy rotala! That's what happened in my little 3.5 gallon.
post #39 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Explosive is right. :-D. No tank of mine has ever given me so much joy...once the algae is completely gone, I'll be elated. By the way do you ever post at AA anymore? I really like this place a lot better, there are more "experts".

Nicholas

post #40 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 12:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Explosive is right. :-D. No tank of mine has ever given me so much joy...once the algae is completely gone, I'll be elated. By the way do you ever post at AA anymore? I really like this place a lot better, there are more "experts".
Not really.
post #41 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I really want to get rid of my Hornwort, I'm sick of looking at it. I have a decent amount of Duckweed, so I won't have a strict absence of floaters. The Duckweed is actually growing a lot slower than I thought it would, so it isn't bothering me yet. Either way, I want this Hornwort gone...the algae on them has greatly reduced, so I'm taking that as a sign? I think I have a decent enough plant mass to be able to remove them at this point. What do you guys think?

Thanks

Nicholas

post #42 of 178 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Sorry if I am boring you guys, but I like taking photos of my tank. As you can see here, I removed hornwort from the right side, but left it on the left side. You can also see that there is no longer any algae on the hornwort either, which is good. Overall, algae has subsided immensely. I tried taking the rock off of the driftwood, but it still floats a bit...however, it is able to stay down with a lighter rock. Maybe another month of that and I should be good to go. I also pulled up that Rotala to try and get it to grow upwards, but I have a feeling the roots that I took out will just find their way back down to the substrate. This photo was taken after a PWC tonight:

Nicholas

post #43 of 178 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 03:19 AM
Algae Grower

Your tank is coming along so quickly! All the new plant growth makes me hopeful for my 75 that I just got done planting. I am far from happy with it so your tank makes me optimistic. I am also waiting on my wood so hopefully that will fill it out as well....

post #44 of 178 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 03:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

Guess those lights worked out well for you. You've struck a balance it seems. Good job. Your going to need a trim soon! Haha
post #45 of 178 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I don't want to jinx it, but yes it seems this light has really done the trick. Also, I feel I went about dirt correctly this time (heavy planting from the start, floaters), as opposed to letting my nutrients get all out of whack. Thanks for the replies.

Nicholas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode