Marconis' 55g soil/low-light journal - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ha, glad to see people are actually following my thread! I appreciate your advice and words.

Here is a photo I snapped several minutes ago right before the lights went out (excuse glass bubbles, did a water change about 6 hours ago).

Nicholas
55 Gallon Low Light, Dirt

The Fraternity of Dirt #65

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 02:09 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I actually like the tannin color...I'm sure the fish love it too. This is a fairly new tank do algae should go away once it becomes established. What are you doin for ferts?
post #18 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

As with any dirt tank without MTS, algae is pretty much assumed...I tried to combat a huge outbreak the best I could with floaters (duckweed tagged along too, but it isn't reproducing as fast as I'd feared). As for ferts, none whatsoever...just letting the dirt do its thing. No CO2, either. I dosed some Flourish on the day of planting just to spruce them up, but nothing regularly.

Nicholas

post #19 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 02:20 AM
Planted Member

I like it. Nice and clean

Jakub Lapinski - Premier Aquatics Retail Manager
aX∑i∑om∑at∑ic: Self-evident, unquestionable, or taken for granted.
post #20 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

What's up guys? Was away from my apartment for two days and was very pleased to see even more growth when I came back.

Has anyone noticed that uploading to Photobucket decreases the quality of your original photos? It's kind of annoying, but maybe I'm imagining things...

FTS...Please notice how big my Sword got on the left, will definitely have to move it soon; also a new leaf is budding out of that shoot, should have gotten a better picture of it:

New Dwarf Sag popping up (one of several):

New leaves on Crypt Undulata (on bottom):

Hornwort engulfed in algae:

How long do you think I should keep this in my tank? It's been two weeks, highly unsightly...

Duckweed, will have to keep an eye on it:

The four Pristella Tetra's that I bought on Thursday, loving them:

Right side of tank:

Thanks for viewing. I'm very happy with the way things are coming along.

Nicholas

post #21 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So, do you guys think I should hold off on removing the Hornwort, and just leave the Duckweed?

Nicholas

post #22 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 05:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I say if they are both working then keep them. If you want to remove the hornwort then maybe remove portions of it at a time so you don't get and algae bloom overnight. Nice looking tank by the way!
post #23 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Alright, I may do that, then...just take it out little by little each day. Thanks!

Nicholas

post #24 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Does anyone know how I can combat this algae in my tank (the brown hair stuff)? I have never experienced it before, and when I did a water change, I accidentally knocked a lot off the Hornwort and it spread all over my tank. I want to try and maintain it or eliminate it before it goes out of control. Or, should I just wait it out...

Thanks

Nicholas

post #25 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Shot from tonight...

Nicholas

post #26 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 10:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconis View Post
Does anyone know how I can combat this algae in my tank (the brown hair stuff)? I have never experienced it before, and when I did a water change, I accidentally knocked a lot off the Hornwort and it spread all over my tank. I want to try and maintain it or eliminate it before it goes out of control. Or, should I just wait it out...

Thanks
Do you have an otto's or amano's? they are great brown algae cleaners.
What do you mean it spread out? did the needles spread out? if so its probably dying. I would remove any parts that are dying(has happened to me b4) and save any thats healthy and green and no leaves falling off. You'll see it will bounce back really fast. I think hornwort is a great plant for when you first set up a dirt tank. It soaks up and excess nutrients that would normally cause an algae bloom or brown water. once it gets thick just cut it back. I always keep some just in case. its not pretty but its a very useful plant to have around.

Your tank is really looking sweet Nick. keep it up... I have one suggestion if you don't mind. Ever consider moving that sword on the left behind the wood? I think it would give your tank a bit more depth. And I think it would look cool if the leaves of the sword looked like they were growing up behind the wood. Also swords will et massive and eventually cover up your wood. It looks like nice piece, show it off! just my 2 cents... haha
post #27 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hey ffrok, thanks for the reply. By spread out, I meant the algae itself spread out (more or less blew all over the tank and then settled). As for your suggestion, a member had already recommended I do that. I didn't think it'd be necessary, but seeing as how big it's getting, I am definitely going to have to move it. I'm gonna move it this weekend before its root system gets too embedded in the substrate. You are both spot on in that suggestion.

Thanks for the reply.

Nicholas

post #28 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

After a water change. Moved the sword, as you can see. Did a pretty big algae clean up and left the filter intake out of the shot. My soil seems to be anaerobic in spots, as bubbles make their way out of it every now and then. Despite this, I don't smell anything sulfur-like, so I doubt it's too bad...on my old 10 gallon the sulfur smell was pretty bad from my substrate. I'm happy with the way things are working out in this tank, with the exception of the algae; the rock weighing down my wood is also extremely irritating, and I can't wait to pull it out (probably going to be another month, I'd say).

Nicholas

post #29 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 06:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

Do you have amanos or ottos? They could really help with the fuzz on that driftwood.
post #30 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I was actually planning on heading over to the LFS later today to see if they had any Otos , among other algae eaters.

Nicholas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode