The Planted Tank Forum banner

Coach's 29 Gallon - Cichlid Restart (Post #68)

8K views 67 replies 18 participants last post by  CAM6467 
#1 · (Edited)
Skip to post #68 to see my new 29g cichlid tank from the start!!!

#2 · (Edited)
I just placed an order for the manzanita driftwood. You can see it by following this link.

I'm purchasing items #0113, 0114, and 9009. I hope that I can make good use of these. I'll likely trim them to what I actually need. I'm planning to configure them the way I like and set them static with an epoxy base using resin and hardener so as to prevent any potential movement or nudging down the road.

Tell me what you think.

Charlie

#3 ·
Well, I've spent the afternoon playing with things and have made a little progress toward this tank getting up and running. The MTS has gone through one solid wet/dry cycle and has recently been sifted through a wire top for my 10 gallon reptile aquarium. This worked great as an initial screening to remove all of the large stuff as well as most of the smaller clumps, rocks, and sticks that dint belong in MTS.

Here's a picture of the topsoil following the first sifting/screening:

It's going to go through several more wet/dry cycles and finer screenings. I'm thinking five total should suffice.

FTS with stand:

This sits in our office on a wall adjacent to our desk. This should provide ample opportunity to not get work done!

The inner workings:

Rena xp1, Hydor inline heater, DIY co2 reactor, test kit, refill pitcher, etc. The co2 setup isn't pictured because the tank's empty. This, by the way, is a DIY stand that I originally built for my high-tech 20L.

I painted the back glass black and went ahead and painted the inlet/output pipes with the same black krylon fusion. I'm hoping to keep the internal equipment as low key as possible. Since the tank came with black silicone sealant, I bought myself a tube of the same black silicone that I used to securely mount the pipes within the tank (this is what the green tape is all about).

I just applied a dab of silicone under each suction cup. I'm hoping that the plumbing stays put! I put the spraybar on the left side. I also drilled new holes so that the spraybar sends water out horizontally from left to right and at an angle downward from left to right. I'm hoping that this will help defeat dead spots. I do not want to put more equipment in the tank to fix dead spots.

Here's the clay that I'm using:

I've got dolomite and muriate of potash on the way, and the topsoil is well on it's way to being done.

Let me know what you think!

Charlie

#6 ·
Since I'll be running the Coralife t5HO with 62 watts over this 29 gallon, do you think that I could grow lilaeopsis mauritiana as my foreground. I've looked at about 50 different options this morning for a foreground that would look good and fill nicely under what I consider to be "lower light".

Do you think that lilaeopsis mauritiana is a good option for this tank? Let me know what you've worked with and give me some advice. I'm having trouble getting my desired plant selection narrowed down.

Thanks,

Charlie

#8 · (Edited)
I've come to the conclusion that I completely underestimated just how much topsoil I would need to mineralize for this tank. I started out with a five gallon bucket 3/4 full of raw topsoil and ended up with less than a full 1/4 bucket of the powdery silk stuff following a very fine screening this afternoon. I'm pleased with these results, but I immediately knew once seeing the amount following screening that I would need to make more.... Dang it!

Here's a pictures of the MTS I made:

The new batch of MTS in the initial soak phase of the process:

I'll have enough MTS to get a great layer in the tank once this is complete. I may have previously stated that it would take a month to make this stuff, but it hasn't really taken that long for the first batch to reach that "silt-like" stage with no odor. It smells of dirt, but I'm not sure that you can get rid of the smell of dirt from dirt.

On another note, I've contemplated creating a series of tiers in the tank using stones. I'm hoping to have boundaries to separate regions of the substrate so as to avoid intermingling of plant species. I've got a conceptualization of my plan, but I haven't really drawn them up for y'all to see. I'll work on that...

Thanks for reading,

Charlie

#9 ·
I'm going to use manzanita in my newest tank. I love the look of the thin, crooked branches poking out from around narrow leaf java fern, swords, crypts, etc.

I'm going for something like these...

As you see in these, the driftwood is a key part of the focal point for these tanks. I want the same in my tank, but I don't know how I want to arrange the driftwood. I've thought about cutting the base of each manzanita piece flat in order to attach them to a piece of one of those white plastic cutting boards which would sit smooth on the bottom of the tank.

I don't know how to describe this very well... I think that the best way to describe it is by comparing it to making a pedestal arrangement. I could secure the wood pieces using plastic screws from HD that go through pre-drilled holes through the cutting board and into the driftwood. I would place the arrangement into the empty tank, then begin laying the MTS substrate.

You are either confused or somehow understand my idea. Either way, what are your thoughts?

#11 ·
Seems like a great build in progress here!

Are you doing the mineralization indoors or is it not winter where you are? I can't make MTS inside or my cat would probably use it for litter...
I'm making it inside under a heat lamp. I'm not a cat owner, so I have avoided what I've read to be the misappropriate use of an apparently perfect litter box.

The Texas winter doesn't really start until February usually, so I still have a bit before the freezing weather gets here.

#12 ·
#13 ·
The timer seems fine. I used it for almost a year without a hiccup on my 20L high-tech setup. I used to have those little winding types that plug directly into the wall, but they don't have a grounding terminal...

What's new tonight:
I used GE black silicone to mount the internal hardware suction cups inside the tank. Unfortunately, I bought a cracked tube. I didn't notice the problem until I noticed that the silicone didn't ever cure.....Not even after a week!

I tore the plumbing out of the tank, slipped the suction cups off, cleaned up the black silicone that never cured, then, finally, reapplied the suction cups using GE clear silicone that I KNOW works after having used it to seal a window in my house last weekend.

MTS:
I've started the second batch of MTS, and it's coming along nicely. After a few days, I drained off the initial water. I've refilled the container with new water, and now I get to enjoy the overwhelming excitement of waiting....

The potash and dolomite are on the way! I should get a package by mid next week. Also, the manzanita ought to be this way by the end of next week.

My ETF (Estimated Time of Flooding):
Hopefully by February 10th I'll have some liquid in this glass box! I'm going to spend time getting the MTS as perfect as possible and then get the hardscape and driftwood the way I envision it. Too bad my tanks rarely bear the fruit of my labor....

Plant ideas:
Narrow leaf java fern
Fissidens
lilaeopsis mauritiana
Some types of swords (Advice is appreciated)
Some types of crypts (Advice is appreciated)
Anubias (all types are desirable)

Crud.... I've got too much to do!

Somebody please tell me what you'd like to do if this was your tank. I like to see from your eyes, too! Help a guy out!!

Charlie

#14 ·
Why silicone in addition to suction cups? I found that it took me over a month of adjustments to find spraybar flow patterns I was happy with.

I use digital timers with battery backups and grounding terminals, also my marineland timers (the "electro-mechanical" type that I think you meant when you said winding) have grounds as well.

Look into that power center. There are some reviews out there that blame it for fires. Never experienced it myself. I like my coralife products but that one I am wary of.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk

#15 ·
Fires? I'm not sure why somebody would experience fires from that product unless they have overloaded the circuit that the device is plugged into. I personally always replace the standard recepticle with a GFCI as to avoid any electrical problems down the road. I haven't had an issue with this power strip, so I'm going to put a little faith in it again this time around. All it's running are my lights, the filter, a Hydor 200 watt heater, and the solenoid for my pressurized co2 setup. I'm sure I'll have no issues...

I silicone the suction cups in place because those cups tend to release over time. I want to avoid this. As for flow, I see your point. I didn't really think about what would happen if I was not satisfied with the flow in the tank. It removes clean and easy if I should have to move the fixtures at some point.

I checked the silicone this morning and it is rock hard. The interior plumbing is complete! Now I'm just waiting on the second batch of MTS to get done (Probably three to four more days of processing).

Have a great Friday everybody!

Charlie

#16 ·
I just received my dolomite and muriate of potash in the mail! I'm a couple of weeks away from having dirt in the tank!!

I'm still trying to figure out how I'll place my driftwood. I found a tank that is almost exactly what I want to do....

This tank is pretty much exactly what I'm shooting for with mine. I love the look of the driftwood!

Here's the potash and dolomite:

#17 ·
Since I'm twiddling my thumbs waiting on manzanita and MTS to mineralize, I thought that I'd put a flora list together. Let me know what you think...

Prospective Plant List:
Narrow Leaf Java Fern

Anubias Nana "Petite"

lilaeopsis Mauritiana

Cryptocoryne Wendtii

Fissidens Fontanus

Any other suggestions? I don't really know what to consider 62 watts of t5HO over this 29 gallon. I'd like some folks with experience to lend a hand on the plant selection. What light range do you think I'm in? What would you guys put in this tank?

Thanks for reading/helping,

Charlie

#18 ·
Since I'm twiddling my thumbs waiting on manzanita and MTS to mineralize, I thought that I'd put a flora list together. Let me know what you think...

Prospective Plant List:
Narrow Leaf Java Fern

Anubias Nana "Petite"

lilaeopsis Mauritiana

Cryptocoryne Wendtii

Fissidens Fontanus

Any other suggestions? I don't really know what to consider 62 watts of t5HO over this 29 gallon. I'd like some folks with experience to lend a hand on the plant selection. What light range do you think I'm in? What would you guys put in this tank?

Thanks for reading/helping,

Charlie

Very high light, I like your plant selection so far though.

#19 ·
The manzanita package arrived from PC1 today. It is a good bunch, but I bought WAY too much! I spent a little time arranging, and I think that I've found a decent start.

FTS with Manzanita:

The other manzanita pieces:

I'm tired of waiting, but I have to wait for a couple more weeks on this one. Atleast I'll have time to find a good plant supplier. Any suggestions (usernames)?

Thanks,

Charlie

#20 ·
Well, I finished arranging the manzanita and went ahead and mixed my MTS and clay. It was about the consistency of thick yogurt when it went in and VERY pink from so much clay. I may have screwed the whole thing up, but I forge ahead! Here's a shot of the tank with substrate, manzanita, and water. The old Rena workalike a champ! A few stubborn leaks here and there, but all is well following some hose clamps and gasket repair via petroleum jelly.

FTS as of 2/12/2012

Now I need plants!!!

#23 ·
It's been a couple of days now and the water is starting to clear up a bit. Tannins are an issue now, but tannins aren't too bad.

The manzanita has some odd fungal growth. In fact, this slimy stuff seems to be all over the place.

FTS 2/14/2012

Much clearer, but still not there yet. I just need to do a water change to see if I can get rid of some tannins.

Payday is soon, so I'm getting ready to order some plants.

#25 ·
it's looking good, dfwapc is having there feb. meeting this sunday feb 2/19/2012. 1pm at the fish gallery in dallas. hope you can make it members trade plants with members. a whole years memberships is only $20.00 well worth it. one of are members went home and filled up his whole 20g the first time we went to a meeting.. aquatic-plant.org

Joey.

#26 ·
I just did a water change and a refill. I've got a WTT/WTS in the S&S for some plants in exchange for the leftover manzanita that I have. Hopefully I'll have some green in this tank before long!

FTS 2/17/2012

How do you alleviate tannins and the white fuzzy slime on the manzanita?!?

#28 ·
Hey CAM, the tank is looking great! You have really spent some time putting things together, it's going to turn out great! I love your driftwood too. As the others have stated, tannins and the fuzz will go away, just give it time. :smile:

You have some really high light, so take it easy on the light cycle in the beginning. How's the search for plants coming?

#30 ·
Finally got some greenery in the tank.

FTS as of 2/26/2012

I'm still battling tannins and cloudy water. I did a 90% WC prior to planting.

You're looking at Crypt Parva, Crypt Wendtii, NLJF, and Anubias Nana. I'll give these some time to get going before I do much else here.

I'm battling murky water. Prior to planting, the water was so dark that I couldn't see the back glass. I siphoned about 90% of the "coffee" water out. I just don't believe that it's the manzanita staining the water this badly. It's probably the result of the large amount of clay used in my MTS. I guess that I'll have to wait and see what time and multiple WCs will do about it...

CO2 tank needs a good fillin'!

#31 ·
Well, it's been about four months since initial setup. The tank is definitely not what I was hoping for. The tannins are constant, the fungus stuff growing on the driftwood is not going away, and the plants are not doing too well.

It's not all bad. The anubias and needle leaf JF seem to be doing ok given the fact that I am not doing ANYTHING to this tank to make it better. I haven't done a water change in about two months! I'm going to tackle this issue this Sunday and see how things look afterwards.

Anybody know if purigen is a good product for tannins? Also, anybody have any experience getting rid of the fuzzy whitish growth on the manzy?

Thanks,

Charlie

#32 ·
Last update was over 6 months ago. This dirt tank has been an epic failure for me!:mad::mad::mad:

Right now, the tank is a dump. I'm a high school teacher/coach, so my hours during the fall are a tad bit ridiculous. I fell behind in my tank maintenance around the middle of August, and it's been a downward spiral ever since. Right now, the tank smells of something dead. My wife is about to go insane if I can't do something about the awful smell coming from our office!:mad::mad::mad:

The anubias and java ferns are actually thriving in this tank. The anubias have put on probably 5-10 new leaves each and the JF has grown out of control!:) The MTS that I created must not be too bad, given the growth that I've seen in this swamp of a tank. The only issue is that it's more of a pond than an aquarium, and that brings forth the issue of having the pondish smell throughout the house. It really is horrible! I can't stand paying bills in my own office....

Consequently, I have decided to move in an alternate direction. I have ordered 40 pounds of eco-complete to replace the MTS.:icon_sad: I have had eco-complete before and had good success with it. I like it because it's ready to use as soon as I cut the bag open. I'm confident that it's going to be a good change for me.

I am going to retain some of the MTS that I made and start up a smaller (10 gallon) dirt tank. This smaller tank will be in my classroom where I can assign its maintenance to my advanced classes. This should prove to be a good project for them!

Once the eco-complete arrives, it will be time to siphon the tank, turn out the MTS, and re-do this tank. The manzi and plants will stay right where they are, as the manzi is glued down with silicone and the plants are anchored firmly to the wood. This really should be a fairly simple process, I hope.

I would imagine that by the end of November, I'll have my tank up and running again. I'm going to stick with the same lighting, filtration, plants, etc.

Two additions that I've been considering are: 1) A hydor koralia pump ; 2) Pressurized CO2 (I have the complete setup, but I haven't used it since I moved to this new house over a year ago).

It's also probably time to buy some new bulbs for my T5HO fixture, as they are almost 2 years old now.

It's going to be fun re-doing this tank. I'll get some pictures up as I go along...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.