2.5g Aquascaping Journal - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
2.5g Aquascaping Journal

There's not much to initially say about this tank; I need to be more active on this forum. D: I hadn't put a whole lot of effort into 'scaping it for my betta because I was focusing most of my attention on my 5g planted, but I still liked how it was turning out.

Long story short, I had to tear the tank down after coming back from winter break and seeing it pretty much dead. I need some help with the aquascaping. I was thinking of a dwarf hairgrass carpet since the stuff obviously likes my water and high light, and the fact that I'm terrified of starting any HC or riccia (I hear they're hard to kick-off). I'll need to get a little more Eco-complete to help the hairgrass really get their roots in there. I'm thinking about buying another diffuser, a T-valve and some more tubing and just hooking this tank up to the DIY CO2 that's running into my 5g; will the 2-liter bottle have enough to run both tanks?

As far as background plants go, I think I'd want something thick, bushy and dark, to contrast the bright green of the DHG. I bought some microsword off Live Aquaria and am waiting for it to get here - I like the thick, grassy look of its leaves and think it'd be a nice contrast to the finer 'leaves of the dhg. Not sure if I want an Iwagumi-ish thing with rocks only or just have some driftwood, or even both. :S Do you think ludwigia repens would be okay as a background plant as well?

In general, I think I'll be aiming for a look like this: http://www.aquatouch.com/Images%20ol...0-2008%201.JPG

Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 07:11 AM
Wannabe Guru
Have you looked into DHG belem instead of regular DHG? Belem is shorter and darker, but grows slower.

Blyxa, it is thick, bushy, and green. Here's a 2.5 with DHG on the left and the larger bush the blyxa.

Tank is from Onenobee of Plantedtank.net

Currently out of the hobby
Forum lurking every now and then
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
Yeah, I've looked at belem. It's really pretty! Unfortunately it's hard to find in my area and regular DHG seems to be faster-growing. That blyxa is really pretty.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
Well, I got the DHG and microsword today, and spent about 2 hours pulling them apart and planting them. They look pretty decent; I just hope they'll grow back okay after the anticipated die-off.

The funny thing I found is that even though I ordered 2 pots of DHG, Live Aquaria sent in 3. o.O Has this happened to anyone else before? I didn't see an extra charge or anything. They also threw in a bag of what I think is Purigen or some sort of crushed rock-y thing for chemical filtration.

Here's a picture. :3

(And yes, that's a piece of paper serving as the tank's background. I need to find a proper white (or black? What would look better?) background at Petco or something.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6012.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	40362  

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 08:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
Send a message via AIM to Wicket_lfe
Is that one of the preset heaters?

Can't wait for it to fill in. I'm about to do one tonight as well. Thinking about getting some microsword somewhere.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
Yeah, the Hydor one. It along with my room temp stays at a good 75ish, give or take a degree or two. All I plan to have in there eventually is rcs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode