29 Gallon Dirt & Loam - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

29 Gallon Dirt & Loam

Tank: Standard 29 Gallon
Substrate: Worm Castings, Dolomite, Potash, Ground Up Leaves, MGOP, Peat, and a small amount of coco coir. Capped with loam.
Co2: Will be DIY for now until there is cash for hooking it up to my pressurized system
Lighting: 2* 40W 5000K CFL Bulbs in two clamp light fixtures from Home Depot. About fourteen inches from the top of the tank.
Filter: ApesX 1150 Aquarium Sponge Filter
Fauna: Endlers livebearers, red ramshorn snails, and some CRS (Future additions)
Flora: That is to be determined. The only thing I have really considered so far is a Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis & Rotala Macrandra

I started setting up this tank on 1/7/2012 so it is a work in progress. Will post pics each time there is some kind of improvement

As far as my filter / estimated fauna/flora they have not went in the tank or even been bought yet so I am completely open to others suggestion on what might work best / look best.

The tank was just started on the 7th so it is still in its infancy. As of today all I have in it is the substrate, some wood, and stone (well some fish but really just because I was bored, they will not be staying).

The first pic is more of a teaser as all it shows is the substrate so you can see how I sifted out the larger particles and placed them on the top / front for visual purposes. I would post more pics but she has the camera at the moment (I took the substrate picture with the cell phone yesterday) so the earliest there will be some decent pics up is tonight (the 9th)

The Fraternity of Dirt #59

RAOK Club #40

Take me to your
Shrimp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well as it turns out the camera option will not happen for awhile so some crap cell phone pics are in order

Random junk plant - will it stay or will it go...it will go :P

A full tank pic (take special notice to the busch can on the shelf and the quart tubs of tilapia food it really highlights the tank )

The airstone and hang on side heater are all temp stuff, the ac110 hanging on the back is not and will not be run on this tank it is just there for now because I have no where else it needs to be(not turned on atm). Ordered the sponge filter today so hopefully in a few days it will be here. The only reason the airstone and the heater are there is because I felt bad for the guppies that are in there atm.

RAOK Club #40

Take me to your
Shrimp
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

First change

OLD : Filter: ApesX 1150 Aquarium Sponge Filter

NEW : Filter: Hagen Elite Double Sponge Filter

Should be here tommorow morning.

Also threw in some duckweed just to suck up nutrients atm to keep algea at bay till I get my plants stocked

RAOK Club #40

Take me to your
Shrimp
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Change of ideas already *this post will be replaced with something next time I post*...its bad when you cant go two hours without a complete change of mind

RAOK Club #40

Take me to your
Shrimp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode