*Kwheeler's Stumped 55 gallon Community 6/3* - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Did a pretty hefty trim a couple days ago. No before shots but heres an after one.

the lucens on the right is TALL. Some leaves are two feet. i didnt know they got that large. not sure if i want to just trim the longer leaves or pull the plants all together and try something else on that side. any suggestions for a grassy plant that wont get that tall? i may just put some what i think is L. palustris on that side and create a bush to balance out the scape.

I used clear push pins to stick fissidens all over my driftwood because removing wasnt really an option and i couldnt tie it in the tank.

removed all the creeping jenny and hygro angustifolia, added L. palustris and a mystery plant. azfishkid suggested a mermaid weed variant. have to wait til it gets bigger to tell.

Hygro is finally taking off since i started dosing a light EI. rotala is serving as a foreground until i can grow more HM in the emersed set up. it didnt fair well and shipping and i was only able to save the tiniest of maristems off it. the little things past the arcuata is it.

thats all for now

Last edited by kwheeler91; 04-08-2012 at 02:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 12:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

Tank looks very nice, I am always fond of stumped tanks. I love the angels too

Very interesting use of the push pins for the moss, I have never seen that before.
post #18 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks tharsis. Maybe the push pins will catch on for people who cant pull the hard scape out. Not sure how well it would work on the manzanitas and malaysian woods though.
post #19 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 02:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

It is a great idea, once the moss becomes attached, voila! Remove the pins and you're done, just let the mossy goodness spread.

I think it would be fine in any wood, alot easier than tying it or glueing it.
post #20 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 02:56 AM
Returning. Videotapes.

Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz
Push Pins!!! BRILLIANT!!! I wish I would have thought of that. I'll have to borrow that one down the road.
post #21 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I intended on glueing the moss on underwater so I glued an anubias on the main stump to test it and immediately regretted it. A huge glob came flying out, some little globs floating off over the substrate, fumes forming a film at the surface which I quickly scooped out with the only thing available... my hands... Thus covering my hands and tank in superglue... Watching with extreme anxiety while my fish tested cyanacrylate flakes to see if they were edible. Glue is obviously not for me so i brainstormed and for 97 thumbtacks it is
post #22 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 04:43 PM
Returning. Videotapes.

You tested the super glue method in your main tank??!!

"Oh no she di-n't!!"

Well...at least you know now!! LOL!!

The tank looks great, BTW!!! I'm not sure what to recommend that you try to use instead of the lucens. Vals and sags can get pretty tall too, and giant hairgrass doesn't usually grow very well for long without becoming a BBA nightmare. For me, at least. Giant sag may be an option for you, but it can get invasive. I would say that you simply go in there and trim off a few of the longer leaves once or twice per week. Personally, I really like the look of it!
post #23 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Lol the gf didnt think it was such a good idea either, but I never listened before cant let her think I will start now, or worse... That she was right

Im gonna let the spiralis grow for a while longer to see how big it will actually get for me. If it dont do what I want it to I will probably give up on it finally after 3 tanks and use the lucens behind the middle wood as a center piece of sorts since it likes to grow so well for me.

Never tried the sags before but I dont like what I read about super fast growth and running all over the tank where you dont want it to go. Ill figure something out I like moving stuff around and trying new plants. It gets boring after a while with the same scape and plants so I rearrange a few times then occasionaly sell most everything and start all over.
post #24 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 08:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

I had dwarf sag in a couple tanks when I was first starting out, I loved it because it was such a fast grower. Within a few months I had covered the entire foreground of a 46 gallon bowfront.

But you do have to be very diligent with keeping it in check as it will quickly take over. I would just pull out any knew, unwanted shoots wherever they would pop up.
post #25 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Getting ready to make some changes in a week or two, whenever I get some time. C. Lucens is either coming out or moving, not sure yet, but I am putting some vesuvius where it is now. I think it will get about the right heigth I am looking for on that side. Pondering taking my MM out of the emersed set up and seeing what happens. I wanted it to get some good roots so it didnt get floated by the snails or fish easily.

I added another two liter to my diy co2 rig, its a little above 1/2 bps. Anyone think this is too much to leave going all night? Its positioned to go into the intake of my AC110.

FTS

Left

Middle

Right

Mystery Plant. Still havent got a positive ID on this. Pulled it out of a ditch im Northern Ohio. Was trying to let it get taller and close to the light but I got impatient and trimmed it down so I can emerse a stem. The rooted half started 3 new stems so it was worth it.

L. Palustris. Got a few stems growing in different spots. I wanna see how it looks in this tank before I put more in. coming along nicely but not red like I hoped would. My bulbs could used changed but I dont wanna end up with too much light without a pressurized set up and I dont really want to make more diy bottles.

Rocko says hi to TPT
post #26 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 06:23 AM
ShrimpRetirement

Good stuff brother! What's with the floating fissidens balls lol?

Rocko!! You're a good lookin dog!
post #27 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Haha theyre magic moss balls, think im gonna trade mark it
But seriously some of it is growing on the DW near the surface, the stuff to the right is growing on an aquatech filter where it first appeared outta nowhere. The gigantic intake is hidden by the main stumpy piece.

Thats my boy, such a good dog. Remi was too busy destroying a box to be bothered for a photo
post #28 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 01:45 PM
Returning. Videotapes.

kwheeler! I love this tank so far! Plants and fish look great, and it has really come along. I still love the crypt where it is, but you call the shots, pal.
post #29 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

So its time for some changes. Hopefully I dont regret this...

Before

After. Dont you just love my beautiful rock?

Had a stumpy piece of wood lying around I forgot about. It wasnt ready to sink but shouldnt take too much longe, thus the rock.

L. palustris behind the rock will be the background on that side now instead of repens x arcuata and the vesuvius in front of that. Hopefully it turns out like planned. I can always put the other stem back if I dont like it.

Gonna put the marsilea in soon, gotta get rid of that rotala it looks aweful as a foreground plant. Want to put the baby tears in too but it hasnt grown out enough yet. I also have dhg in the emersed but not sure how it would do in medoum light with excel and diy co2. Working on uping the co2, cant afford pressurized at the moment. Also want to replace the bulbs but im afraid of what might happen.

See what it looks like in a month, gonna be moving so I might change it all up again. Who know might just sell it all, I go through mood swings with my tanks, sometimes im completely happy then I just dont want to deal with them anymore and just sell everything. Working two jobs, moving in a month, having a baby in less than three. Worlds got me down right now.

Definitely need to get the angels out. I want a nice school of redline rasboras, really love those fish for some reason. Have two in there but they hide all the time.
post #30 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 05:30 AM
Returning. Videotapes.

NO!!!! I can't believe that you got rid of my crypt, Man!! :p

looks good.....perhaps a little "empty" now, though? You should keep the rotala, but move it to a midground location. It will look better when you add the MM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode