CmLaracy's ADA 75P v.IV - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 105 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overfloater View Post
I really think this tank would place very well in a contest. Nice job!
thank you so much! You're pushing me to go grab that DSLR right now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 105 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 09:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

nicely done. loving it
question is, how'd you get them mosses between the rocks?
post #33 of 105 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnod View Post
nicely done. loving it
question is, how'd you get them mosses between the rocks?
Bought about 2 softball sizes worth, pushed it into the crevices of the rock as well as pushed it into the aqua soil. For places where the crevices weren't narrow, I pushed it gently into the soil then tucked the outer edges of the moss "sections" between the soil and stone to keep it held down. Took a bit of finagling to get it all to stay down, but it was really just a matter of "tucking" it in wherever I could, be it between two stones, or one stone and soil. Using exclusively 'powder' aqua soil helped in this process. It was all matted down, at first it couldn't be seen without looking from above the tank, hence why it's taking the longest to fill in, it had the most growth to fulfill. You can kinda see here in this photo while planting with the tank empty, but soil moist. Try and spot the dark green in between the stones.

post #34 of 105 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 05:47 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Well I'm quite happy to say that there are TONS of sakura babies that are now large enough that they won't get caught in the filter, and still tons of really tiny ones everywhere, so I've held off on the fish for their sake. Even at the nearly microscopic level these things are scarlet red, can't wait until theres hundreds of em crawling everywhere so I can get some green neons and finish this thing off.

Water change and general tank maintenance tomorrow, I'll post an updated shot then. Couldn't get around to it tonight, had to rush my grandmother to the hospital unfortunately. 89 with pneumonia :/
post #35 of 105 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Things have calmed down with my grandmother, she's ok thankfully. Going back to school tomorrow, just finished showing the father how to dose the tank. Heres a shot with the filter and powerhead ON followed by one with the filter and powerhead OFF. Never got around to buying the DSLR, shots still from my iPhone. Theres a little bit of riccia in the moss front and center, which is no longer there (just took it out). Since this tank started I've had to remove riccia from different parts of the tank about once a week. It never comes back in the same spot, very strange.

There are literally HUNDREDS of sakura babies. One interesting thing about this tank, with the water changes being once a week or sometimes once every week and a half, I no longer need to dose PO4 or N. 10 pumps of brighty K, 10 pumps of brighty step 1, and 10 drops of ECA every morning. Also, my timers died 3 weeks or longer ago and I've been turning it on whenever I feel like it and simply letting it run 10-12 hours, usually 10. I usually turn it on 3-4pm and turn it off at 1-2am, but today for example it didn't go on until 6pm, it'll be going off at 4am (yes I am a night owl). Between all the shrimp, the ottos, and the amount of decaying plant matter (its fully grown theres no where else for new stuff to grow, theres no visible decay but theres a good film of protein on the surface after about a day of completely removing it, indication of plant matter decay) I no longer need to dose N or P for it's levels to stay at appropriate PPM's
post #36 of 105 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 04:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Tank is looking great dude. You should let the moss just go wild....
post #37 of 105 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkan0228 View Post
Tank is looking great dude. You should let the moss just go wild....
Thanks, thats the plan! The HC will float up soon because it's getting too thick, so when it does I'll plant a new carpet. And when I do that I'll pull out all the hairgrass that has grown out of the background and into the midground and foreground.

My only disappointment with this tank is how long the moss has taken to fill in, so I hope to remedy that by restarting the other plants and leaving the moss as is Im not sure how feasible all this will be living 2 hours from the tank with classes monday-friday, but hopefully Ill make it work with help from the parents.
post #38 of 105 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 07:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

As long as you don't let it get too thick you should e find.
post #39 of 105 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Wow, 5 day away at school and I couldn't even see the scape the glass was so covered in GSA. About a half hour of work and tada. Gonna borrow a friends camera soon before the HC floats up so I can get you guys good pictures, the HC carpet is about an inch and a half thick now. This was the best I could get I'll try and get some better shots with my phone later tonight or tomorrow.

post #40 of 105 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 02:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

Lookin good. If you have to have algae, GSA is at least easy to deal with.
post #41 of 105 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Finally! Got a somewhat decent shot using my mom's junky point and shoot! No more camera phone shots. My dad says if I remind him we'll go out and get the DSLR on sunday before the giants game, then I'll really have some pictures for ya!

Here it is!

post #42 of 105 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 06:41 AM
Planted Tank VIP

Looks alright.

LOL! Freaking solid scape bro. I was a cynic for sure.

post #43 of 105 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
Looks alright.

LOL! Freaking solid scape bro. I was a cynic for sure.
I forgive you!! Hopefully I'll be able to make it to the meeting for the 50g setup! fingers crossed, hope I don't have too much work
post #44 of 105 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Finally got the DSLR, Nikon D5100. I know how to use it to the extent that I can take pictures, but not much else. Spent a lot of time messing with the ISO levels and white balance, couldn't come up with anything too great. To my surprise I had to have the ISO levels really high to get anything that wasn't extremely dark, I thought it would be the opposite.... well these are what I think are the best six (I took about 100). I'll be working with it today and tomorrow and hopefully I can learn to get some better shots out of it, any help would be much appreciated.

Tonight when I get home I'll work on getting brighter shots, as well as some macro and angled shots. I've never used a good point and shoot before let alone a DLSR so it's going to take me a bit, I hope you all enjoy.
post #45 of 105 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 04:06 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I like the scape do you do carbon or anything in your filter?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode