The Planted Tank Forum banner

DK’S 125, 40B1 and 40B2

30K views 108 replies 37 participants last post by  DvanK 
#1 ·
I have three tanks, well maybe four if you count the quarantine tank. I have two 40 breeders and one 125G tank. All of my tanks have pressurized co2, mineralized soil and are hooked up to automatic water changer. I also dose tanks with fertilizers based on my own dosing regime.

I have been keeping this journal alive on NJAGC but I figured if I post it here I will get more exposure and maybe different ideas from the fine folks here on this forum.

So without further ado here they are:

DVANK’S 125

Tank went down hill from here. Fish were breeding like crazy I had about 150+ electric yellows and firefish cichlids. My young cichlids reached adulthood fairly quickly causing more and more damage the bigger they got. With so many aggressive fish around plants couldn’t take the beating any longer. Soon after they fell to the BBA outbreak and fish developed some kind fungal infection which caused massive losses.

125 REBORN

09212011 New layout #1

10062011 New layout #2

Thanks for looking.

See less See more
#14 · (Edited)
40B1 May 29 2012 update.

LEFT SIDE

RIGHT SIDE

TWIG CATFISH eating dead algae

I run out of ferts and my ludwigia glandulosa is showing signs of deficiencies. I need to make a new batch of ferts to hopefully combat the twisting and curling of new leaves.

Here is something weird. Instead of straight leaves staurogyne repens is growing "branchy" leaves, kind of like Java Fern Trident. I dont know if its a virus or some kind of mutation or maybe my light level is too high or maybe I have totally different plant.

Anyway thanks for looking.

#15 ·
Tanks look great ! Whats the plants attached to the wood on 12092010
that makes them look "tree like" ?

#17 ·
it looks great ! do you just attach it to the top and it weeps itself or do you attach it to the underside so its left trailing ?

#22 ·
It doesn't really matter where you attach it because once it starts growing it will wrap itself all over but, I would give it some room to climb.

That "mess" actually looks good. Can't wait to see it filled in.
I just hope my light is strong enough to sustain the hairgrass.

^+1.....agreed! I LoVE LOVE LOVE the look! It looks natural and unique, and I wouldn't touch the hardscape at all. I might move the crypts to a different spot away from the front of the glass, but otherwise, just let it fill in, and trim the hair grass after a while. It will look fab!
Good call about the crypts I don't know how I missed them.

All your tanks are great! Idk about that staurogyne, it almost looks like hygro difformis. If it is a new staurogyne variant I think you will make a lot of money lol.
Its not the prettiest plant out there so I kind of doubt it but it would be nice to offset the cost of eight electric blue rams that I just lost recently.

Thanks guys.

#18 ·
And here is my new 40B bottom tank (40B2)

I had some time over the weekend to work on this tank and here is what I came up with.

Once everything settles down I will trim some of the excessive roots to make it look more elegant. Right now the tank looks kind of chaotic and some of the plants are there just to see what I can grow and what goes together well with the roots.

Thanks for looking.

#20 ·
^+1.....agreed! I LoVE LOVE LOVE the look! It looks natural and unique, and I wouldn't touch the hardscape at all. I might move the crypts to a different spot away from the front of the glass, but otherwise, just let it fill in, and trim the hair grass after a while. It will look fab!

#23 ·
Update 08292012

Here is my 40b2 with two new GE Starcoat 6500K T5 High Output lamps.

I must say that I'm pretty satisfied with he way this tank is turning out. I have few plants that I will have to remove due to the layout I have envisioned but I just don't have the balls to do it because it took me a while to collect them and i have no place to put them.

Here is the 45 degree shot

And here is the shot of one of the easiest ground cover plants that I have ever owned. Its called Hydrocotyle sibthorpioides.

Thanks

#31 ·
FEB 2013 update

Well its been a while so I decided to bump this up

Currently I have far too many plant species going on here. I will try to get rid of some of the taller crypts and thin out some of the blyxas. I hate the way the taller plants in the back are blown by the filter. Maybe redirecting the flow against the glass will help. In addition the hardscape is not as visible as I would like it to be.

Freshly planted Staurogyne Repens - Easy and undemanding plant

My existing carpet of Staurogyne Repens - I started with just three plants.

I tried Nesaea crassicaulis in my 40g breeder but the leaves felt too long for that tank so I'm trying to see if I can use it in 125g. Also I dont know why but this plant lost its orange leaves and started growing more yellowish ones. Maybe the light duration is too short or intensity isn't there.

Friend of mine shared this red beauty with me back in December. I think its some sort Alternanthera sp- Its growing painfully slowly for me.

Left side closeup

In the top left corner you can see my skimmer that just wont stay attached to the glass.

Well that's about it. Thanks.

#35 ·
Yes these are green neon tetras. I'll update that tank in few days it didn't change much.

Thanks

Wow that does look sort of chaotic, but it is such an interesting combination of textures. The photo is nice and clear, too.

Is that just regular Bolbitis in there? It looks different to me(?).
That's a regular bolbitis as far as I know. I had it for years but I couldn't grow it properly because my emperor tetras would chew on it. Once the tetras were removed it started growing again.

I was thinking the same, almost looks like pinatiffida.
Hmm I think its a normal bolbitis. I have a dwarf version in there as well but its just collecting algae and it wont grow for me.

Thanks all!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.