75 gallon show build log. First "planted" tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

75 gallon show build log. First "planted" tank

So for Christmass my sweety bought me a new toy. 75 gallon show tank (55g ft print just taller) made by SeaClear. It is used but in exceptional shape and the price allowed me to pick up a filter and lighting.

Eventually it will house my 2prs of discus, a couple schools of smaller tetras (cardnals or rummy nose), 2pr of dwarf ciclids, and a school or corys (panda and skunk).

I'm not planning on a heavily planted tank. With a lack of floor space in the tank and overall height it will be a challange to balance. I do have some very nice pieces of drift wood coming from my freind in CA. It is dried and cured manzanita.

This is a pic I found online and more or less the overall design I'm looking for,

Any help identifying the over all plants pictured would be appreciated.

As for the rest of the equipment right now I have a:
Hagen 48" 2xT5 Glo fixture for lighting
Aquatop CF-400 with UV for filtration (hard plumbed through excisting bulk heads in tank, 1 to filter and 2 returns)
Hydore 300 inline heater
60lbs, Caribsea FloraMax black substrate

I am looking at adding CO2. Who make a nice complete set-up?

Well thats it for now. Doing to finish up leveling and leak checking the tank tomorrow. Very excited!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

A quick question before I head into town for supplys. I have enough Floramax to do about a 2" layer in the tank. After reading up on the forum last night and today. Should I add a 1" layer of potting soil below this? Also would it be a good idea to put root tabs in before I add the Floramax layer to help add a fertilizer boost to the substraight?
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 10:56 PM
Algae Grower

I have always used potting soil as the first layer. Root tabs are great but I tend to use them after tank set up. I have a tank that has MGOPS under flourite it has been going for over a year, and I just recently started adding the root tabs.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-25-2011, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well with the Holidays and 60hrs a week at work, I have not gotten much done. Some small updates though.

I mixed up my substrate today, 2 bags of floramax dark, 2 bags of eco-complete dark, and 2 bags of Fluval Stratum. This will be layed over 20lbs of Miricle Grow Organtic potting soil.
Here is the 3-way top mix:

Also walked a local river and found some nice drift wood pieces. Beats the $6.99 a lb they charge around here. Has been scrubbed, bleached, and left to dry out in the sun for a few days. In the tank now being held down with some large rocks. This is not the layout. Just how it worked out with the rocks to keep it down till it is water logged again.

I'm off on Monday so the plan is to get the substrate and hard scape done, than get some plant shopping done!! Slow and steady
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 12:38 AM
Algae Grower

Nice work! Looking forward to more of the project updates!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 12:44 AM
Algae Grower

In the picture, it looks like

Riccia Fluitans,
Blyxa Japonica
Dwarf Sag
Peacock Moss
Amazon Sword? or some type of sword (left side)
and crypt balansae
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well long day and not near as much done as I would like . I made several mound in the tank using eggcrate and window screen. This worked out very well. Sorry I did not get any pics of that process. After placing my "mounds", rocks and twigs. It was time to add my dirrt (aka:MG organinc potting soil). Really surprised that it only took 1 bag of dirt to give me a 1"-1.5" layer. Second surprise was 60 lbs or FloraMax, Eco-Complete, and Fluval Stratum was a bit much for a tank with this foot print. Oh well will probably just sell it and some other supply after I get everything the way I like it.

Really sorry I didn't get a nice string of pictures as I was putting this together today. Due to time and wet hand. The camera was just a after thought. Here is a pic of the lay out, I think it turned out nice. Now its a waiting game till next weekend before I can go get some plants and some break in fish.

Please post any coments or suggestions!!! Thanks Zach
Oh and yes I've added a few scratches I will have to do some buffing on.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Tank with water and tea cup light stands!!

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 07:18 AM
Algae Grower

This will be nice. I hope i have a bigger place and will be getting same huge tank, right now, im just settling with my 15gallon long. Nice work dude....
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Went ahead and ordered a second Hagen 48" Glo fixture. It looks really bright in the pictures, but in person its dim. With a CO2 system and the substrate I plan to add some intense plants and prefer to have enough light. Also when the light braket come back from powder coating they will be 12" above the tank instead of 3" on tea cups
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

WooT just put a deposite down for a CO2 set-up. Getting there, going to put my CO2 reactor together sometime this week also. Ordered and Second light fixture. That should be in about the same time everything else arrives.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 10:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

Looking good, hope it all comes together. Setting up new tanks can be a hassle, but they are still so much fun!
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Haha very true. The biggest thing right now is initial set-up cost. My sweety keeps rolling her eyes at me!!
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well, plants are in!! Shallow front to back dimensions are deffinatly a pain to work with. Gonna give the tank some time to grow into its self. All the plants I ordered looked great except for the jungle val. Will have to give it some time and see if it comes around. Right now the tank just has 2 48" T5HO's in a Hagen Glo fixture. Need to get some better bulbs for it also. These are two 4500ks I had already. I think when the other fixture comes in, will switch to 2 6500ks, a 10k, and something with a pink/purple color to fill in. Also my regulator came in and went to Lowes today and picked up all the parts to build a CO2 reactor. Just need to get a bubble counter now.

On to the good stuff, some pics of how the tank looks now:
http://s478.photobucket.com/albums/r...thing%20fishy/

Last edited by orangelss; 01-21-2012 at 02:05 PM.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 08:50 AM

Thanks for sharing this, has been enjoyable watching it all come together. Oh & your driftwood is awesome!!! It looks very natural & makes for a stunning display that just draws the eye to take a closer look.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode