30 gallon Half Moon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

30 gallon Half Moon

Hello to all, this is my first post on the forum!
i have finally got to where i feel enough has been done in my reef aquarium and now wanted to invest in a nice planted aquarium. i got started in fish keeping with a 20 gallon guppy tank that i have now planted, but its not satisfying to me, i now want a fully aquascaped, amazing freshwater tank.
On black friday i got a 30 gallon half moon (that is semi-cylinder) and ordered two dual lamp 20'' fixtures from aquatic life. Because of the odd shape of the tank, i decided to hang the fixture as opposed to set it on the frame mounts.
For the substrate, i went with a mixture of eco-plant substrate and black flourite sand.
For now i am going to use a DIY Co2 system as well as some flourish root tabs and the liquid flourish stuff.
As for plants, i plan on planting a carpet of Dwarf Hairgrass as well as others such has ludwigia, wisteria, a ruffled sword, myrio.. etc.

I also plan on documenting the early life of the tank by shooting a time-lapse over an 8 week period, so i will share once that time has come and passed.

-Ethan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 01:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecas32 View Post
Hello to all, this is my first post on the forum!
i have finally got to where i feel enough has been done in my reef aquarium and now wanted to invest in a nice planted aquarium. i got started in fish keeping with a 20 gallon guppy tank that i have now planted, but its not satisfying to me, i now want a fully aquascaped, amazing freshwater tank.
On black friday i got a 30 gallon half moon (that is semi-cylinder) and ordered two dual lamp 20'' fixtures from aquatic life. Because of the odd shape of the tank, i decided to hang the fixture as opposed to set it on the frame mounts.
For the substrate, i went with a mixture of eco-plant substrate and black flourite sand.
For now i am going to use a DIY Co2 system as well as some flourish root tabs and the liquid flourish stuff.
As for plants, i plan on planting a carpet of Dwarf Hairgrass as well as others such has ludwigia, wisteria, a ruffled sword, myrio.. etc.

I also plan on documenting the early life of the tank by shooting a time-lapse over an 8 week period, so i will share once that time has come and passed.

-Ethan

Wow, I would love to hang my fixture like that!
But my wife would hang me!
Great looking tho.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 01:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Welcome to the forum! Cool looking tank, I've never seen one like that. I'm also looking forward to the time lapse.

I would suggest that while you are running DIY CO2 you should use only one of those fixtures. It is a tall tank, so after you go pressurized (it will happen) you can raise them a bit from their current position and use both. Check out the lighting section stickies for some really good info.

DIY CO2 is a really good way to start, but varying CO2 levels can be hard in a tank with a lot of light.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyzer View Post
Welcome to the forum! Cool looking tank, I've never seen one like that. I'm also looking forward to the time lapse.

I would suggest that while you are running DIY CO2 you should use only one of those fixtures. It is a tall tank, so after you go pressurized (it will happen) you can raise them a bit from their current position and use both. Check out the lighting section stickies for some really good info.

DIY CO2 is a really good way to start, but varying CO2 levels can be hard in a tank with a lot of light.
thanks for the info hyzer! and ya, i was worried about light penetration to the bottom because the tank is about 27 inches tall. With both fixtures on, im getting 72 watts.

and thanks Big O!

i am in the process of trying to find a nice piece of driftwood, one tall enough to look good in the tank. i contacted ADG about it and im waiting to hear back from them.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well ADG wouldn't contact me back, but i found another place to order from http://www.manzanita-driftwood.com and i got a nice looking piece on the way.

I will post pictures as soon as it comes in!

-Ethan
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Went in to petsmart the other day just to look... and came out with a plant called Frill.

Dont know much about this plant but i did find out a more common name of it may be Foxtail.
I do know that for just the few days its been in my tank it has began to grow very well with my DIY Co2, high lighting, and some flourish excel.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

its been a while, but after many complications i finally got my tank up and going!
bought locally from a driftwood saleswoman. got a great piece of wood.

I ordered my plants earlier this week and planted them all yesterday. I think they look great and it is all gonna look really really good when it is all grown in. my moss hasnt came in yet. and i am still planning on doing a time lapse, it is set up right now.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 05:45 PM
Planted Member

This is really pretty, do you have an update?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

update:
after trying and trying, the lighting just simply wasnt enough to penetrate all the way to the bottom of the tank. most of the plants died and what didnt i salvaged for other tanks. I turned this tank into an artificial plant tank, though still with the beautiful driftwood and white sand. It still looks really good!
I ended up focusing on my planted ten.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode