Thanks mordalphus!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Some growth, nice and slow.

post #33 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I added 9 beckford's pencilfish to this tank yesterday. They are a lot of fun to watch.
post #34 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The pencils seem to be doing quite well in this tank. Their addition has made the CPDs much more active. I was worried they would be hiding in the jungle forever.

I'm getting better with the manual mode on my point n shoot, but failed to get a clear picture of the fish. Just need to adjust the shutter speed I think. I ran out of time before the light flipped off tonight, so hopefully I can upload some fish pics tomorrow night.

post #35 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 03:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Might consider pushing that Anubias in the front L back into the wood in the midground range area...then allow some of the smaller crypts to snake over that way. Sees this would manage the scape well and not lose any species/biomass you already have.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #36 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 04:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo
wow this is a very nice tank!
slow grower, less maintenance
a dream tank to me!

do you have any problem with the moss?
i mean if some of them got loose it will spread everywhere like what happened in my tank back then
post #37 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 02:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Good-looking scape, love how the parva is slowing creeping around.
post #38 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 03:11 PM
Are these real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyzer View Post
I'm getting better with the manual mode on my point n shoot, but failed to get a clear picture of the fish. Just need to adjust the shutter speed I think. I ran out of time before the light flipped off tonight, so hopefully I can upload some fish pics tomorrow night.
Pencils are among the easier to shoot fish, since they move - stay still for a couple of seconds - move - etc. Use the camera flash, and hold the camera at a slight angle to the glass (point upwards perhaps) to move the reflections off center. Also go as close to the glass as possible, use telephoto setting (if that lets you focus close), and macro mode (of course). For shutter speed, use the fastest flash sync speed possible - usually 1/125s. Play around with the aperture, a smaller one (= higher number) will result in more depth of field, which isn't always that necessary with the smaller P&S sensors. If your camera lets you turn off autofocus you can pre-focus and then get the best focus by moving the camera back and forth. This avoids some of the shutter lag due to the slow AF in dim light.

And I agree with Tom - time to sell some of the Anubias, and perhaps Java Fern. Tank looks great though, excellent fish choice!
post #39 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
Might consider pushing that Anubias in the front L back into the wood in the midground range area...then allow some of the smaller crypts to snake over that way. Sees this would manage the scape well and not lose any species/biomass you already have.
Agreed. This is my next project. There are some crypts in the shaded area and it would be nice to get them growing. It was hard to squeeze everything in such a skinny tank, but a bit of shuffling will help a lot. Greatly appreciate the advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikuzo View Post
wow this is a very nice tank!
slow grower, less maintenance
a dream tank to me!

do you have any problem with the moss?
i mean if some of them got loose it will spread everywhere like what happened in my tank back then
Thank you ikuzo. Very little maintenance and my favorite to look at. There is a reason this is in the living room and not my cave. Now that you mention it, it's probably about time to squeeze some mulm from the sponge.

There is a bit of flow near the java moss branch. I just put the net "down stream", trim, and let the clippings go straight in to the net. I miss some, but they just get lost behind the clump of fern. I think I actually have some moss balls back there I should do something with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenz View Post
Good-looking scape, love how the parva is slowing creeping around.
Thanks! It's a mix of parva and willisii.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest View Post
Pencils are among the easier to shoot fish, since they move - stay still for a couple of seconds - move - etc. Use the camera flash, and hold the camera at a slight angle to the glass (point upwards perhaps) to move the reflections off center. Also go as close to the glass as possible, use telephoto setting (if that lets you focus close), and macro mode (of course). For shutter speed, use the fastest flash sync speed possible - usually 1/125s. Play around with the aperture, a smaller one (= higher number) will result in more depth of field, which isn't always that necessary with the smaller P&S sensors. If your camera lets you turn off autofocus you can pre-focus and then get the best focus by moving the camera back and forth. This avoids some of the shutter lag due to the slow AF in dim light.

And I agree with Tom - time to sell some of the Anubias, and perhaps Java Fern. Tank looks great though, excellent fish choice!
That is exactly the photography advice I was looking for. I actually used some of your comments from another thread to get comfortable shooting in manual mode.

I just spent the last hour rinsing, separating, then planting little bits of glosso in my 40. I don't have enough time to get some good pics before the light goes off. Tomorrow night I will try your recommendations.

I could send you some of the Java Fern and Anubias. I know those are two plants that you need more of.
post #40 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

By the way Wasser, the "cross country Christmas surprise" fry is larger than most of my CPDs now. I'll try my best to get a picture of it.
post #41 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 02:51 PM
Are these real?

Can't be fry anymore... so did it turn into a nice minnow?

So weird that I don't get any fry in my tanks, and I send plants to someone else and it turns out there are eggs floating around everywhere.
post #42 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 08:57 PM
Planted Member

It seems like a 29 gallon would be a hard size to work with but you have a really nice layout. I like the low maintenance aspect too, it's what I'm going for with my 20 gallon. What's the grassy looking plant in the back left?
post #43 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesawguy View Post
It seems like a 29 gallon would be a hard size to work with but you have a really nice layout. I like the low maintenance aspect too, it's what I'm going for with my 20 gallon. What's the grassy looking plant in the back left?
The size is hard to work with, especially when it comes to the clump of plants on the left. The top left is needle leaf java fern.

Tried to get some fish pics tonight after messing with the settings of my camera for a while. Battery ran out after the first few shots.
post #44 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 01:47 AM
Planted Member

I am "green" with envy of your tank! Get it? Green!.... Your tank has some very green plants!.... I slay myself. But no, seriously, flippin nice tank. With all those slow growing plants, you must have some amazing patience skills; specially since its low light/no CO2 and such. Oh and what did you mount the java fern on?.... just wondering.
post #45 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetThereBeFish View Post
I am "green" with envy of your tank! Get it? Green!.... Your tank has some very green plants!.... I slay myself. But no, seriously, flippin nice tank. With all those slow growing plants, you must have some amazing patience skills; specially since its low light/no CO2 and such. Oh and what did you mount the java fern on?.... just wondering.
Thanks, I like your low light 29 too. I tied the ferns to the wood with fishing line or thread, can't remember. I'm going to be pulling them off to rearrange soon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode