Hyzer's Easy Mode 29g - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The CPDs have colored up quit a bit since their first full day in this tank (yesterday). I'm looking forward to even more color in the next couple days. Even though they are hard to photograph with my camera, here is my first attempt.

This is the largest Amano. You can see its first molt in the above picture. I've never had shrimp this large and really enjoy watching them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 04:16 PM
Are these real?

Happy New Year, and congrats on the improved cash flow!

Is the fry still around? I can spot some familiar snails...

OT - just came back from 3 weeks away and all the fish are still doing great!
post #18 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest View Post
Happy New Year, and congrats on the improved cash flow!

Is the fry still around? I can spot some familiar snails...

OT - just came back from 3 weeks away and all the fish are still doing great!
Happy New Year to you too man.

The fry is most definitely still around. It is swimming around and eating like mad. Its behavior reminds me of guppies, but the probability of anything but an egg making it over here in a plant package seems slim. It is showing a lot of greenish blue coloration. We'll see I suppose. Luckily the CPDs don't mess with the little dude(tte) too much.

I'm glad that everyone in your tank is doing well. In a tank that big with so many shrimp they could probably go for months.

How was your trip???
post #19 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 12:15 AM
Are these real?

Trip was awesome, just no snow. Good to be away from the keyboard.

If the fry has a green irridescent stripe/eye, it's likely a WC Minnow.
post #20 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Trip was awesome, just no snow. Good to be away from the keyboard.

If the fry has a green irridescent stripe/eye, it's likely a WC Minnow.
That's a bingo. Definitely a White Cloud. I actually forgot you had those because the Pencilfish steal the show.

I said that I will stock a few of whatever type of fish the fry turns out to be. I'm actually really stoked it turns out to be a WC because I was contemplating stocking them anyways.

I'm glad you had a good time and got to see your family.
post #21 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 03:36 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your setup is great! I am starting a 29 gallon soon, and your work has inspired me. I actually found your Post on the "Black Diamond Sand Tanks" thread here at TPT, and I followed your signature to this journal. I'm subscribed!

I've been in the process of making mineralized topsoil, and I am going with the Black Diamond blasting abrasive for the cap. I'm hoping to have similar successes as you are having! Keep up the awesome work, and I look forward to seeing how your little WC survivor turns out.

Charlie

"Success is not the goal, it's merely a byproduct!"
- The Fraternity of Dirt #66 -
Just because it's dirt doesn't make it low-tech.
post #22 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 06:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You have a beautiful tank. What is the plant that is in the pictures of your post on 12/26 its in the back of your 2nd pic and 4th picture shows alot more of it in the back?
post #23 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM6467 View Post
Your setup is great! I am starting a 29 gallon soon, and your work has inspired me. I actually found your Post on the "Black Diamond Sand Tanks" thread here at TPT, and I followed your signature to this journal. I'm subscribed!

I've been in the process of making mineralized topsoil, and I am going with the Black Diamond blasting abrasive for the cap. I'm hoping to have similar successes as you are having! Keep up the awesome work, and I look forward to seeing how your little WC survivor turns out.

Charlie
Thanks Charlie. The blasting sand is working out quite well. I didn't go with dirt, but instead put a few Jobe's sticks under the crypts (only major root feeders) and they are starting to fill in nicely.

The minnow is doing well, still flailing around the surface as usual. It does just fine when competing with CPDs and large shrimp for food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMYukonon24s View Post
You have a beautiful tank. What is the plant that is in the pictures of your post on 12/26 its in the back of your 2nd pic and 4th picture shows alot more of it in the back?
Myriophyllum mattogrossense. I actually took it out of this tank because it didn't fit well with the crypts. I couldn't get rid of it altogether so I decided to incorporate it in to my 40g dutch tank.
post #24 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I decided to turn this in to a crypt jungle. The willisii and parva foreground had a couple months to fill out in my high light tank. I'd be happy if they stay even half as healthy as they were in there.

I'm glad the hydrocotyle is gone from both tanks now. Just never seemed to work for me.

Hopefully the wentii grows large enough to cover the powerhead/filter in the right corner. It seems to be filling in somewhat quickly.

The CPDs were being shy tonight.

post #25 of 86 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 06:56 PM
I ♥ BBA!

Really liking what you did with the tank, Hyzer. Any clue on the fry yet? I like how you hid the heater, it is barely noticeable.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.
post #26 of 86 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
Really liking what you did with the tank, Hyzer. Any clue on the fry yet? I like how you hid the heater, it is barely noticeable.
I'm working under the assumption that it is a White Cloud. It is getting pretty big, but doesn't have any red coloration or anything yet so I'm not completely sure.

The anubias flower is apparently delicious:

Here is the "laying down on the couch" view:

Then a closer look:

I really like how easy this tank is since I got a glass top. Almost no evaporation and the water stays clean despite infrequent changes.

The CPDs are coming out from their crypt jungle more often so viewing is a lot of fun.
post #27 of 86 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 01:04 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Beautiful tank! I love your plant choice. For a low tech set-up this is impressive. Inspiring, i say!
post #28 of 86 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 02:22 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

What is all that java fern tied to? I never really saw a thick growth from mine, made me sad. I hoped to make it as nice looking as yours.

post #29 of 86 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 04:21 AM
Are these real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyzer View Post
I'm working under the assumption that it is a White Cloud. It is getting pretty big, but doesn't have any red coloration or anything yet so I'm not completely sure.
Here is a baby WCM from my 36gal journal...

Tank looks great. You are doing great with low tech as well. Hope things are going well for you my friend!
post #30 of 86 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaethetic View Post
Beautiful tank! I love your plant choice. For a low tech set-up this is impressive. Inspiring, i say!
I appreciate it syna. If I start up another tank soon it will be low light as well. My high light CO2 40g is just... frustrating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattycakesclark View Post
What is all that java fern tied to? I never really saw a thick growth from mine, made me sad. I hoped to make it as nice looking as yours.
Those branches sticking out are one piece of manzy and the needle java is tied to the base of it. I'm willing to bet that it has attached to the wood by now though. To be fair, not much of what you see is new growth. I grew out that clump in this tank:

Quote:
Here is a baby WCM from my 36gal journal...

Tank looks great. You are doing great with low tech as well. Hope things are going well for you my friend!
It sure looks similar to that. Now it is larger than almost all of the CPDs. Almost time to get it some "family". I vote for an update on your 36 btw.

I'm adjusting to the area, slowly... but surely. Hope everything is going well for you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode