The Planted Tank Forum banner

Knuggs Main Tank Journal (Lots of Pics and Vids)

8K views 52 replies 13 participants last post by  knuggs 
#1 · (Edited)
Knuggs Main Tank Journal. Currently Natural and Dutch Mix (Lots of Pics and Vids)

My main tank has had many faces throughout the year the good, the bad, and the ugly. I figured it was about time I made a journal to better document my progression. So here is a old time line of my old tanks. Not the best pics but this is what I have been able to scavenge up. The 29g tank had pressurized co2 around the end besides the last 2 pics.

This was my first main tank that I started in 2007 it is a 29g. For more specs you can check out this journal: Journal of My First Tank 29g

No CO2 and tap water 2007

No Co2 and Tap Water 2007

Pressurized Co2 and RO water 2008

No Co2 and Tap water 2009

This is my current main tank that I set up in 2009. It is a 40g breeder.

No Co2 and Tap water 2009

No Co2 and Tap water 2010

This is what it currently looks like: Running pressurized Co2
I got a new cam :)

Videos of tank in action (HD)

My Main 40 Gal. Breeder Community Tank

Golden Wonder and SAE Spawning Together!

Im planning on redesigning it completely. I have some more colorful plants growing out in my fish room right now. Still not sure what Im gonna do with it. But it will be from scratch, still not sure what Im gonna do with all the crypts.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
TANK STATS

Tank type: 40g Breeder

Water: Tap water ph low 7's

Lighting: Aquatic Life 36in T5 HO

Filtration: JBJ Reaction 4 stage canister filter with UV and Aquaclear 30 powerhead

Substrate: Eco-Complete

CO2: Pressurized

Fertilization: 4.6g of K2SO4, 0.2g of KH2PO4, and 2g of Plantex CSM+B once a week. Dose excel during water changes once to twice a week. Pimafix a few times a week smaller than regular doses.

FLORA

Giant Hair Grass (Eleocharis montevidensis)
Crypt Wendtii
Lysimachia nummularia 'Aurea'

FAUNA​

Lots of Cherry Shrimp
1 Golden Wonder Killie (Aplocheilus Lineatus)
2 Florida Flag Fish (Jordanella floridae)
2 SAE'S (Crossocheilus siamensis)
2 Glowlight Danio (Danio choprae)
2 Clown Loaches (Chromobotia macracanthus)
2 Kuhli Loaches (Pangio kuhlii)
2 Panda Garras (Garra flavatra)
2 Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia splendida inornata)
2 Espei Rasboras (Trigonostigma espei)
3 Pristella Tetras (Pristella maxillaris)
4 Bloodfin Tetras (Aphyocharax anisitsi)
4 Black Phantom Tetras (Megalamphodus megalopterus)
4 Glowlight Tetras (Hemigrammus erythrozonus)
4 Redeye Tetras (Moenkhausia sanctaefilomenae)
4 Gold Tetras (Hemigrammus rodwayi)
5 Blue Tetras (Knodus borki)
5 Ottos (Otocinclus affinis)
5 Dwarf Corydoras (Corydoras pygmaeus)

#8 ·
Anybody gonna need some Large Wendtii Crypts 12+ inches, I have smaller ones as well. Hit me up cause Im so ready to rescape it. Very healthy plants and strong roots. Hope this message doesnt violate any swap and shop rules? Which I will post later just have other stuff to get rid of as well. Winter cleaning.

#11 ·
I had some time with the cam the other night. I have stripped out most the crypts and now the reconstruction progress can slowly commence :)

Heres a vid of what it looks like now

http://youtu.be/uKO-ntnZoGs

Im trying to fig out how to put the vid on here so you can just click and watch without be redirected....anyone know how this is done?

#15 ·
So heres some new pics, I have been evolving the tank a lil by lil and here is where I was and where Im at now until the crypt willisii comes in from Wasserpest:

Also here is a HD Vid:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJoH1qwtHs0

Shot at 2012-03-19

Shot at 2012-03-31

Shot at 2012-03-31

Where Im at now:

Shot at 2012-03-31

Shot at 2012-03-31

Shot at 2012-03-31

Shot at 2012-03-31
A couple of the Ornates I have raised from eggs.

Shot at 2012-03-31

Shot at 2012-03-31

#18 ·
Yeah, you need more iron to get it that color. My tapwater has alot of Iron in it but I still dose every once in awhile like once a week along with a few other nutrients. Wasserpest is putting some extra Crypt Willisii in my package for you.

I've heard that Pandas are excellet algae eaters. Have you found this to be true?

Also, are all your crypts in your 40B Wendtii? If so, what variant?
I would say they are good algae eaters as far as what grows on the glass like green spot but they didnt seem to bother with the bba that would grow on rocks over time. They definitely are eaters, constantly! Im a fan of them, they are really fun to watch and kinda have a mind of there own. I would keep them with more than one just because they are very interactive with each other and quite the show sometimes :)

Those are Wendtii, I have tried to get a id on them and have heard Bronze and Green/Brown but alot of them vary in so many ways. I have one now that is reddish...but all came from the same stock of crypts that I have manage to keep over the last 5yrs so not really sure what they are exactly.

#20 ·
Hmm, thats a tough one! I actually have all 3 in my tank and all have different benefits. Otos are good at there job and always have been and great if you like schoolers. Pandas have great personalities and fun to watch and do a great job as well. SAE's are also great and will work on everything, plus I can buy them for $3 a piece and have them work on algae til they get to big since its only and 40 and sell them back to the lfs for $7 :)

I does grow completely different in all sorts of parameters wether it be light or co2. Im sure nutrients play a factor as well. Being in the same tank though I guessing it is light but not sure why one is starting to get real red, Im guessing the iron. Alot of times the stems will redden up big time and the underneaths will be pink. I have the same crypt in other tanks as well but grows differently in a lot of those as well. Before I sold them all I could have taken pics of this same kinda of Crypt looking 10 different ways, even though they all originated from the same plant.

I encourage questions :) Its hard to learn if you dont ask them! Nobody should be afraid or sorry for doing so.

#25 · (Edited)
Here is a vid of what my main tank looks like at the moment. Thought I would share...

Click on this to see vid :biggrin:

Shot at 2012-04-09

Still waiting for the HC to grow it but has been a battle with all the fish in there but I am hell bent to have it grow out, it is the icing on the cake!

#26 ·
If the fish are ripping up your HC, and you have plenty of light (which you do), you could buy a cheap pyrex or glass bowl or pie plate or baking dish, put it into your tank and invert it so it is upside down and place it over your HC. Maybe put a small piece of driftwood or a rock under two sides so there is just enough space to keep the water flowing through. You would probably have to take it out once or twice per week to clean any beginnings of algae off....otherwise, it should offer enough protection to allow the HC some time to root and spread nicely.

Nice tank!

#27 ·
Ill have to try that got to be better than replanting alot everyday. I think MTS are part of the culprit but this should help with them too. Since HC grows more broad under lower light then I should do alright without having to blast more light and still get it to root nicely. I appreciate the idea, thanks!!

#29 ·
Heres some new pics :) I need to try and keep up on my trimming but getting hard to do. The plastic over the HC has been working well. I took some top shots to show the color a lil more. Not the best pics but better than nothing.

Shot at 2012-04-23

Shot at 2012-04-23

Shot at 2012-04-23

Shot at 2012-04-23

Shot at 2012-04-23

Shot at 2012-04-23

Shot at 2012-04-23

Shot at 2012-04-23

Thanks for looking :icon_smil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.