SlammedDC2's (not a 55g anymore) turtle tank (new pics 2-13) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

SlammedDC2's (not a 55g anymore) turtle tank (new pics 2-13)

Okay I am going to start my first paludarium build this weekend.
I am going to start tearing down my old 55g and convert it for my turtle.
I am planning to do MTS capped with PFS. I'm going to attempt to plant some of it (I'm praying the turtle doesn't eat everything I put in there).

Now at the moment I am slightly stuck and how I want to build this. I have to have some way for the turtle to come out and bask but I refuse to use one of those ugly floating docks. I have thought about taking some stone and stacking and siliconing/hot glueing them to the glass and each other. I think that it will look good but not to sure how well it will work. I'll have to worry about how to clean between the rocks, and other things living between them. At the moment I am taking suggestions on what to do for a small land area.

This weekend will mainly consist of my emptying and cleaning the tank. Once that is out of the way I will start the plumbing for the 20g sump.

I'll get pics up as soon as I start.

12-18-11 FTS

1-21-12 FTS

2-12-11 FTS

Last edited by SlammedDC2; 03-31-2014 at 10:20 AM. Reason: big changes coming
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 03:09 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You can try a smaller tank within your 55 and fill it with sand/gravel to make an easy and sturdy surface than if you want lay the rocks on a decline to give it that natural shore look. Always wanted to try. Prob will soon.. you can buy a cheap 10 gal or 20H for it. I would say de-rim it but it would be sharp.. you get the gist of my suggestion lol goodluck
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I never thought about that. I think using a 10 or 20g will take away alot of swimming room. Might look at a 2.5 or 5.5 to put down there. I like your idea, and I can easily change it...well with the removal of a fair amount of sand.
My buddy has a huge pile of rocks in his yard I could easily bust up with a sledge hammer to get the size I want to stack.
Now where to get a 2.5 or 5.5 in my area...

Semper Fi
post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Okay so I decided against putting another tank in the 55 and just robbed a huge pile of rocks from my buddys house. I don't quite have enough so I'll be going back over there tomorrow for more.

Anyway tank is a 55g with a 20g sump. DIY PVC overflow to a 350gph return pump, 200watt heater.
Lighting is 2 clamp on shop lights with 20watt CFL (6500k), one clamp light with a heat bulb for basking, and 2 18" zoomed UVB bulbs.
MTS capped with PFS and a few plants that I'm sure will be eaten at the moment. I have more plants on order from Gordon that the intraweb says taste bad for turtles. Lets see if the web is right.
The turtle is currently alone in the tank, not sure if he'll recieve a roommate or not. I know I don't want another turtle, just not sure what I can put with him that wont become food.
On with the pics:

Full tank shot

in the background taking a breather

my not tall enough rock wall

Semper Fi
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 01:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

That water level is pretty high for a turtle tank the best place to. Jew them is while they are basking and your angle to see that is poor with the water that high, I would lower it to about 2/3 the tank then put a large piece of driftwood for him to bask on. You can then plant things at the water line and let them grow to the top of the tank
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 01:54 AM
Algae Grower

Also where is your uv source?
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 01:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

Tank looks good. But for some reason, that rocks stacking is making me nervous honestly.

**** Green ****

Green's Resurrection Aquarium Gallery
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbacha View Post
That water level is pretty high for a turtle tank the best place to. Jew them is while they are basking and your angle to see that is poor with the water that high, I would lower it to about 2/3 the tank then put a large piece of driftwood for him to bask on. You can then plant things at the water line and let them grow to the top of the tank
I'm not sure I completely understand your post. He is an aquatic turtle that spends almost all the time swimming. He almost never comes out to bask. I've always been under the impression that aquatics only need enough land to bask on and they prefer deeper water to swim in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aretreesfree View Post
Also where is your uv source?
Good point, they are now added. I don't know why I didn't swap those over from his old tank. Thank you

Semper Fi
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_valley View Post
Tank looks good. But for some reason, that rocks stacking is making me nervous honestly.
I was a little nervous when I was putting them in, but they're actually pretty stable. I've jabbed at them and none of them are moving, hopefully I don't come home to a water and glass filled room.

Honestly if I could have found a better way for him to come out I probably wouldn't have used the rocks.

Semper Fi
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 02:13 AM
Honeycomb Master

You should be VERY concerned about that pile of rocks. I once did the same thing when i had baby turtles in a standard 29G tank and the rocks crushed one of them to death (literally) after the pile collapsed. I thought it was pretty stable at the time but apparently it wasn't.

And agreed about lowering the water level. That's way too high for a baby turtle. It would be fine for an adult, but he needs shallower water until he grows a bit. Lower it to about 1/2 and invest in a floating turtle raft for him to bask on and you should be in good shape.

Using sand was a good idea, btw. A lot of people use small pebbles and sometimes turtles will eat the rocks, causing serious injury and sometimes death.

post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 02:14 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlammedDC2 View Post
I was a little nervous when I was putting them in, but they're actually pretty stable. I've jabbed at them and none of them are moving, hopefully I don't come home to a water and glass filled room.

Honestly if I could have found a better way for him to come out I probably wouldn't have used the rocks.
Hmmmm....well, the only thing I can think of is big woods, sticking out of the surface. Probably saver.

**** Green ****

Green's Resurrection Aquarium Gallery
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 02:16 AM
Honeycomb Master

Quote:
Hmmmm....well, the only thing I can think of is big woods, sticking out of the surface. Probably saver.
Or how about one of these? They come in many different sizes.

post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzFishKid View Post
You should be VERY concerned about that pile of rocks. I once did the same thing when i had baby turtles in a standard 29G tank and the rocks crushed one of them to death (literally) after the pile collapsed. I thought it was pretty stable at the time but apparently it wasn't.

And agreed about lowering the water level. That's way too high for a baby turtle. It would be fine for an adult, but he needs shallower water until he grows a bit. Lower it to about 1/2 and invest in a floating turtle raft for him to bask on and you should be in good shape.

Using sand was a good idea, btw. A lot of people use small pebbles and sometimes turtles will eat the rocks, causing serious injury and sometimes death.
Okay looks like I'll be lowering the water level a little tomorrow, and pulling the rocks out.
That's why I went with the sand as I have read of turtles injesting gravel and having problems from it.

Quote:
I'm going to keep my eye out for some big driftwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzFishKid View Post
Or how about one of these? They come in many different sizes.
I had one of those years ago, never really cared for it as it doesn't even remotely looks real, but then again it wont be small forever.

I'll be doing some looking around at the LFS's tomorrow for another option. Thanks guys

Semper Fi
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Water level has been dropped to half tank. Rocks are still in place at the moment as I don't have anything else for him to come out of the water on, but I'll see what I can do to remedy that today.
Thanks for all the insight guys. Keep comments, critique, and whatever else you want to say coming.

Semper Fi
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 07:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You can use a couple of cinder blocks stacked up and pile some of the rocks around it. That would give him a flat place to bask and still look natural-ish.

The Fraternity of Dirt #39
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Cable's Madness
Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode