SlammedDC2's (not a 55g anymore) turtle tank (new pics 2-13) - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I'm thinking of using the same style rocks (as my buddy has a huge pile in his yard) but get bigger ones. There are some I could get that would only require 2-3 per level stack. I think that might make them a little more stable. If not then I'll just pick up one of the generic floating docks till I can figure out a pleasing way to put land in the tank.

Semper Fi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 07:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlammedDC2 View Post
I'm thinking of using the same style rocks (as my buddy has a huge pile in his yard) but get bigger ones. There are some I could get that would only require 2-3 per level stack. I think that might make them a little more stable. If not then I'll just pick up one of the generic floating docks till I can figure out a pleasing way to put land in the tank.
Just be careful with the rocks and the bottom of the tank. I did something similar to this with a rubbermaid tub to house a turtle for a couple of days until my buddy got him. If you do like you say with the rocks, it should be stable. If you can find some flat rocks, that would be best.

The Fraternity of Dirt #39
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Cable's Madness
Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 08:00 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have to admit i didn't read all through the thread. You could take the rocks out and silicone them together then put the pile back into the tank once fully cured.
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy69846 View Post
Just be careful with the rocks and the bottom of the tank. I did something similar to this with a rubbermaid tub to house a turtle for a couple of days until my buddy got him. If you do like you say with the rocks, it should be stable. If you can find some flat rocks, that would be best.
I'll have to see what I can find in the way of flat rocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoof View Post
I have to admit i didn't read all through the thread. You could take the rocks out and silicone them together then put the pile back into the tank once fully cured.
I actually thought that originally. I was planning to not only silicone them together but to the tank walls as well. The only thing I don't like about that is if I decide to redesign the tank I'll have to cut it all out and that could prove to be a pain.
I'm honestly trying to figure a way to just put a small land area that I could grow non aquatic plants in as well. Not looking for much, just maybe a 10"x12" area. I'd like to try and not drain the whole tank and empty, as I did that a few times on my 125g, but then again it's not nearly as heavy.

Semper Fi
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Still figuring out the land area, should hopefully have that changed later this week. Anyway I changed the return piping a little, along with some paint. Planted some plants, thanks gordon. Anyway on with the pics. Ignore the nasty glass. I forgot to clean it before I took pictures.

He's still shy

turtle POV

Semper Fi

Last edited by SlammedDC2; 01-22-2012 at 07:30 PM.
post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 10:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Very well setup, should make for a very happy turtle.
post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 02:36 AM
Algae Grower

whoops sorry didn't know this had page 2. sorry!

Last edited by BioHouse; 12-19-2011 at 08:00 AM.
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2in10 View Post
Very well setup, should make for a very happy turtle.
Thank you, I think I'm going to order another turtle after the first to give her a friend

Semper Fi
post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 04:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

Cool turtle tank! I bet he is real happy in there with all that room to roam! I would def. get another one, you have plenty of space and who knows you could get some babies
post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 04:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Hey I can't remember did you get riparium plants from me? And are they doing alright? I can't remember if it was riparium plants or just some crypts that I sent in that one box(??).
post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuggs View Post
Cool turtle tank! I bet he is real happy in there with all that room to roam! I would def. get another one, you have plenty of space and who knows you could get some babies
Oh yeah, she's getting a friend, just havent decided what kind of turtle I want to order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
Hey I can't remember did you get riparium plants from me? And are they doing alright? I can't remember if it was riparium plants or just some crypts that I sent in that one box(??).
Yeah I did, here's an update.

Heres the aluminum plant, roots are growing good, and the turtle leaves the trelis raft alone

This plant came to me all brown and dead looking but after planting this little guy just started over, Interested to see how it comes along.

Cant remember what this plant is but it's doing great, nice color, new little shoots.

The peace lily is struggling, half of it died, the other half is yellowish and kind of limp but I'm trying

On of my favorite plants in this tank

Semper Fi
post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 02:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Looks good man.

The plant you are not sure on could be Hygrophila polysperma. But I am not 100% on that one. Looks like it though.

The Fraternity of Dirt #39
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Cable's Madness
Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 02:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

That's looking good so far.

For best results you can hang those riparium planters righ next to each other. That way the foliage will hide the planters + rafts as it grows in. I also recommend filling those planters up to the top with gravel.

Peace lily always looks sad after transplanting, but it's a very tough plant. So long as the base is white and firm it should come around and start to grow.

That one plant "nice color, new little shoots." is a Ruellia. When that one grows up a bit taller you can cut off the top to encourage more branching. Otherwise ti will just keep growing up and up.

The one "brown and dead looking" might be a leather fern. Those usually melt back after shipping, but they are also real tough plants and easy to grow. Just give it time and it will grow up.
post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy69846 View Post
Looks good man.

The plant you are not sure on could be Hygrophila polysperma. But I am not 100% on that one. Looks like it though.
Thanks man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
That's looking good so far.

For best results you can hang those riparium planters righ next to each other. That way the foliage will hide the planters + rafts as it grows in. I also recommend filling those planters up to the top with gravel.

Peace lily always looks sad after transplanting, but it's a very tough plant. So long as the base is white and firm it should come around and start to grow.

That one plant "nice color, new little shoots." is a Ruellia. When that one grows up a bit taller you can cut off the top to encourage more branching. Otherwise ti will just keep growing up and up.

The one "brown and dead looking" might be a leather fern. Those usually melt back after shipping, but they are also real tough plants and easy to grow. Just give it time and it will grow up.
Thank you. I plan to order a few more planters to fill in the back more.
Thanks for the insight in the plants, I will try cutting back on the ruellia when it gets a little taller. The spider lily will get planted soon, and I will top off the planters with more gravel tonight when I get home.

Semper Fi
post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 03:49 AM
Algae Grower

The tank looks great and hopefully the turtle will allow you to keep it this way as it gets bigger.

Mine enjoys destroying anything that's put in the tank or on it's beach. It spends all day digging so it can see its reflection in the bottom glass. Plants and tank mates were all eaten and anything that is not securely attached is ripped off. Even the small gravel I siliconed down for the beach was torn off. I'm hoping this is just a phase...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode