Hyzer's 40G Breeder - Dutch - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 141 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have been busy buying up plants in preparation for a colorful dutch tank. Thank you to all the awesome sellers here on TPT. Now I'll see which of these stems like my tank.

Few changes:

-Ditched the driftwood. I decided to stick with my original plan.
-I got rid of the cheapo reactor and went back to misting. Also dealt with a check valve and bubble counter issue.
-Removed the microsword foreground and replaced with glosso. It is a bit leggy so far but I think a couple trims will solve this.

Tonight I'm going to work on placement. Until now I just kinda threw em in there until I had received all the packages. Here's a quick pick before I go to work. Sorry it's too dark, I didn't notice until I loaded it on my comp.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 141 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 12:14 AM
Are these real?

Looks just perfect on my monitor! Stems are lovely *unless your tank is too large*.

Is the compact Hygro growing slowly for you as well? I thought Hygros are supposed to be fast growers, this one is definitely not (in my tank).

Looking forward to the dutch scaping. Hope you are doing well!
post #33 of 141 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest View Post
Looks just perfect on my monitor! Stems are lovely *unless your tank is too large*.

Is the compact Hygro growing slowly for you as well? I thought Hygros are supposed to be fast growers, this one is definitely not (in my tank).

Looking forward to the dutch scaping. Hope you are doing well!
I didn't think about my monitors color settings. Now that I look at it on my phone it doesn't look too dark.

The compact does grow very slowly and bushy in this tank. It is more likely to throw out side stems than grow vertically. In my lower light EBI it is growing upwards with perfectly smooth teardrop leaves. It must prefer less light.

I too am looking forward to figuring out this whole dutch thing. I need to propogate more stems from my new plants to really figure out placement.
post #34 of 141 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Even thought I have just a few stems of some of these, I put together an updated plant list. Really enjoying the new ones. Hopefully they will stay healthy... the CO2 is blasting.

Blyxa alternifolia
Eriocaulon parkeri
Glossostigma elatinoides
Hygrophila Araguaia
Hygrophila Corymbosa var Compact
Limnophila 'Wavy'
Ludwigia glandulosa
Ludwigia inclinata 'Pantanal'
Ludwigia repens
Ludwigia 'Rubin'
Ludwigia senegalensis
Persicaria 'Kawagoeanum'
Persicaria praetermissa
Pogostemon erectus
Pogostemon stellatus 'Narrow'
Rotala macrandra 'Japan Red'
Rotala rotundifolia
Syngonanthus 'Belem'
post #35 of 141 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The new growth seems to be doing well, minus the Pantanal, which is just kind of surviving. I'm really excited to see the mac 'Japan Red' growing well because I've never had any luck with macrandas. I still don't have placement down, but I think I am getting closer to my ultimate goal. We'll see what I can do when I have a dozen or so of each of the new stems.

Nitrate levels were high when I tested this weekend (30-40ppm), which might have to do with a recent big trim and disturbing the small amount of Osmocote I have in the substrate. I'm going to lean out on dosing KNO3 for a bit to try to keep it in the 5-10 ppm range. Some say this will help color pop, others say it will just stress the plants unnecessarily. I'll see what works for me.

Full tank shot. The Glosso in the middle just got a hefty trim so it is very thin looking. I'm hoping the trim will encourage more horizontal growth.

I really like the thick bushy look the Rotala rotundifolia gets after a few trims. Just ignore the photobombers...

The Persicaria 'Kawagoeanum' (had to paste that name in there) is becoming one of my favorites.

Some L. glandulosa, Pogo eructus, and red repens.

Some Rotala macranda 'Japan Red' looking not all that red, but healthy.
post #36 of 141 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 01:46 AM
Planted Tank VIP

Nice job! I love the Dutch look and have liked just about everything youve done to this 40B. That Japan red is an oddly named plant if you asked me. Its green and red. The red is just a deeper hue of red than the regular mac red. I have both and yours looks pretty typical of Japan red.
post #37 of 141 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 02:39 AM
Planted Member

Nice tank, looks like its just about to really blast off! Your plants all look very healthy and the scape is looking really nice.

Carl
post #38 of 141 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad320 View Post
Nice job! I love the Dutch look and have liked just about everything youve done to this 40B. That Japan red is an oddly named plant if you asked me. Its green and red. The red is just a deeper hue of red than the regular mac red. I have both and yours looks pretty typical of Japan red.
Appreciate it Chad. Nice to hear that the growth is pretty typical. Any advice on the L. Pantanal? I know you have grown just about everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghotifish View Post
Nice tank, looks like its just about to really blast off! Your plants all look very healthy and the scape is looking really nice.

Carl
Thanks Carl. I feel like it is about to come together as well. Just need to wait for more growth and shuffle things around a bit.
post #39 of 141 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I was reading up on L. Pantanal and from what I gather it is very particular about CO2. When I first started using my mister again I almost gassed the fish after leaving home for a few hours. Thought I only dialed it back slightly but I guess not. It is difficult to tell the difference between 4, 5, and 6+ bps. After work I will go ahead and bump it up a bit.
post #40 of 141 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 09:49 PM
Planted Tank VIP

Fish can acclimate over time with it too. If you had it set for a few weeks you can usually nudge it up a bubble w/o the fish knowing I wish I had some advice to give on the Pantanal, unfortunately, I dont. Mine only did well when it was close to the light, it got pretty smothered otherwise, and lost its lower leaves.
post #41 of 141 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

A few things have seemed to improve growth on some of my picky plants (Pantanal, L. senegalensis, S. 'Belem').

I finally came to my senses about trying to keep Nitrate levels down to improve color. I want healthy plants, not colorful starved plants. Wasserpest, Plantbrain, and other experts have been schooling us on this subject all along.

A few weeks ago I stopped tossing dry ferts directly in the tank. Now I mix with tank water in a cup, let it dissolve, then pour it in. This takes more time, but it is easy to mix in the evening then dose before bed. I will probably get some larger bottles going to make it even easier.

More recently, I added a Koralia 240. With the 2217 and Aquclear 20 I think I finally have enough flow. Now I can see CO2 mist evenly distributed throughout the tank.

I am still lost when it comes to planting dutch attractively, and the Pantanal still has stunted, albeit improved, growth. This is a great way to learn though, and I'm having fun.

post #42 of 141 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 11:16 PM
Are these real?

I see you got rid of that Sunset Hygro... Looks very nice, can't really complain about color now. You know, for a tank like this, Flourite Black would look fantastic. Always something to improve upon.

I am finally having some success with your Hygro compacta. None of the others in your tank would grow in this water here...
post #43 of 141 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 11:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Very nice tank, I have found that the Pantanal does not like nitrate in the water and soil. It does just like yours does. Also I found it does not like nitrate above 30ppm or it stunts. I found it dies off at about 50ppm.
post #44 of 141 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
You know, for a tank like this, Flourite Black would look fantastic. Always something to improve upon.
Gah, you just had to go there haha. My other two tanks have black substrate for a reason.

My goal is to not see much of the substrate at all. Just need to keep multiplying those stems.

Quote:
I am finally having some success with your Hygro compacta.
Nice! Which tank do you have it in? That compacta came from the owner of a small reef shop in Marina who was starting to stock some live plants before I left. He wanted to put reef intensity lighting on his planted tanks and I gave him a bit of advice. In fact, he may still be selling relatives of your Cherries.

Mine has nice teardrop leaves in my little shrimp tank (pictured below), but in this 40 it is a mess. I'm constantly losing lower leaves in both tanks too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2in10 View Post
Very nice tank, I have found that the Pantanal does not like nitrate in the water and soil. It does just like yours does. Also I found it does not like nitrate above 30ppm or it stunts. I found it dies off at about 50ppm.
Thanks 2in10. It's weird that my Pantanal has started doing better with more N dosing. I was going a bit lean though.
post #45 of 141 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 06:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

VERY NICE SETUP!!!

Really looking forward to seeing it grow in! Your plants look very healthy to me! Good selection of color too!

Keep up the great work!
Drew

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode