Hyzer's 40G Breeder - Dutch - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 141 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest View Post
Tank looks awesome. Is that the bronze wendtii? Looks awesome, very bullous or whatever that's called.

What happened... I touched it. Cut off the long stem and replanted, never recovered after that. But hey, the SS Hygro still looks great. Thanks for the offer, but I am slowly growing out of my collectoritis (by losing plants here and there).

Let me know when you are in the area, you need to visit your fish... Regarding brew, got an Irish Red that turned out really tasty, and just ordered stuff to make a Kolsch, a Cali Steam, and a Maibock, so no fear of running out anytime soon.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it is bronze wendtii. Unfortunately I bought it from a big name petstore a while ago and they didn't have it labeled.

Sorry about your glandulosa, but like you said it might be for the better.

I will definitely let you know when I come to Cali. Look forward to sampling some brews.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 141 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I decided to see what would happen if I brought the middle bulb on my fixture back for five hours. Too soon to tell.

I'm used to the Ista reactor noise. It is actually kinda soothing if I don't have to pee.

The background is starting to fill in, but the middle needs some work. I'm a bit worried about the butterfly rotala. It's just.... delicate.

post #18 of 141 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 06:46 PM
I ♥ BBA!

Hahaha on the pee comment. If my tank water drops even slightly, I have that issue. Good reminder. I like the tank a lot better without the glandulosa. Good move, even if it wasn't on purpose.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.
post #19 of 141 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 07:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

Where/how did you get those cool flip back legs or whatever for the light fixture and would they work on other fixtures?

They look sort of like the ones on the Zoomedic T5HO fixtures.

edit: it also appears that they would prevent the use of the standard Aqueon glass tops, is that correct?
post #20 of 141 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 08:12 PM
Are these real?

I admire your discipline - not a single fish that I can spot. That way you can bomb the tank with CO2 and other ferts, not bad. How is your Cherry situation these days?
post #21 of 141 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest View Post
I admire your discipline - not a single fish that I can spot. That way you can bomb the tank with CO2 and other ferts, not bad. How is your Cherry situation these days?
It's funny you should say that... I visited a pet/pond shop in the middle of nowhere today. The owner builds display tanks all over the country and has a couple really cool ones in his shop. I've never had Bloodfin tetras before so I decided to give them a try. So much for disciprine...

The only shrimp I have are three Amanos in my other tank. I do want to keep Cherries again but I didn't feel like a high light/CO2 tank that I am constantly needing to trim would suit them best. I think I will end up adding them to the lower light 29g.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madness View Post
Where/how did you get those cool flip back legs or whatever for the light fixture and would they work on other fixtures?

They look sort of like the ones on the Zoomedic T5HO fixtures.

edit: it also appears that they would prevent the use of the standard Aqueon glass tops, is that correct?
I got the flip top legs from the company who built the fixture, Catalina Aquariums. Unfortunately I can't tell you whether they are compatible with other fixtures. I can take pictures of whatever you might be curious about though, so feel free to ask.

You are correct, these legs would not work with a standard glass top without some customization.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
Hahaha on the pee comment. If my tank water drops even slightly, I have that issue. Good reminder. I like the tank a lot better without the glandulosa. Good move, even if it wasn't on purpose.
Are you talking about the Glandulosa on the right hand side? That is still there. Or maybe the removal of the majority of crypts in the middle?

Last edited by Hyzer; 02-05-2012 at 04:11 PM.
post #22 of 141 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 06:51 PM
I ♥ BBA!

The crypts in the center. I was reading about your glandulosa melting and didn't finish my thoughts and meshed them both together it appears. I am thinking I need to start reading my comments again before hitting "post quick reply." LOL

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.
post #23 of 141 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
The crypts in the center. I was reading about your glandulosa melting and didn't finish my thoughts and meshed them both together it appears. I am thinking I need to start reading my comments again before hitting "post quick reply." LOL
The glandulosa has actually been doing much better with these water parameters. Only the leaves on the very bottom are dying off, as opposed to all of them from the mid point of the stem and down.

Last edited by Hyzer; 02-11-2012 at 05:30 PM.
post #24 of 141 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 03:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Looking forward to updated pics on this thread.

How's your flow in this tank? I'm 6 months in, with 2 Eheim 2217s on my 40B, and still messing around with how to set up the spray bars for good flow distribution without having either dead spots OR spots where the plants are blown sideways, which is very distracting to the viewer as well as not very attractive.

40 Breeder Journal
Eheim Pimp Club - Member 468 (2 x 2217, 1 x 2213)
----
New Jersey? Nearby State? Join the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club!! Meetups, Swaps, Local Members to discuss your tank, issues, and accomplishments!
NJAGC Member since 11/2011
post #25 of 141 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc7 View Post
Looking forward to updated pics on this thread.

How's your flow in this tank? I'm 6 months in, with 2 Eheim 2217s on my 40B, and still messing around with how to set up the spray bars for good flow distribution without having either dead spots OR spots where the plants are blown sideways, which is very distracting to the viewer as well as not very attractive.
Sadly I've kinda put this tank on the backburner. I made a few poor decisions:

-I switched the way I dissolve CO2 and don't think I got the level where it needs to be again.
-I went with a foreground that doesn't quite fit. Microsword is awesome, but I don't think it's right for this tank.
-I removed the powerhead in the back right corner and probably left it lacking circulation. Right now I'm watching oxygen bubbles float directly upwards (just did water change).
-I did not take my time in researching and choosing fish. I made a rushed decision and it was the wrong one. Never again....

I still dose, trim, and do water changes, but I'm just not in to it. The plants are kinda straggly looking. I'd much rather watch my low light with CPDs, Fire Reds, and Amanos.

The good news is that I can change everything but the fish, unless I get another tank for them.
post #26 of 141 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 11:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

you can also post them on swap-n-shop or even Craigslist, and other boards swap -n-shops like A-Central

40 Breeder Journal
Eheim Pimp Club - Member 468 (2 x 2217, 1 x 2213)
----
New Jersey? Nearby State? Join the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club!! Meetups, Swaps, Local Members to discuss your tank, issues, and accomplishments!
NJAGC Member since 11/2011
post #27 of 141 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I added a piece of wood, moved plants around, boosted my CO2, added some willisi and parva, and put a powerhead in the corner. Also got some Giesemann bulbs a couple weeks back to help get me motivated. I really want to be satisfied with this tank some time in the near future.

Still having trouble with my butterfly and wallichii. More CO2 helps, but it is still just straggly looking.

I am also learning a bit more about shooting in manual mode with my point n shoot. Didn't have to adjust the brightness in photoshop this time.

post #28 of 141 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 05:07 AM
Planted Member

Gratuitous bump, but I have a question about your rivet stand. I've might have missed it in the previous thread, but where did you pick this up from? It's almost exactly what i'm looking for.
post #29 of 141 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS87 View Post
Gratuitous bump, but I have a question about your rivet stand. I've might have missed it in the previous thread, but where did you pick this up from? It's almost exactly what i'm looking for.
Either Lowe's or Home Heapo. I just took my tape measure and was lucky enough to find one that fit perfectly. Make sure you put in the rear and side beams for extra stability in the middle.
post #30 of 141 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 10:49 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyzer View Post
Either Lowe's or Home Heapo. I just took my tape measure and was lucky enough to find one that fit perfectly. Make sure you put in the rear and side beams for extra stability in the middle.
Thank you! I will hunt there in the future. The stand looks perfect for the 40B

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode