Retrogamer82's - 5.5g "The Stump" (Pic Heavy) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Retrogamer82's - 5.5g "The Stump" (Pic Heavy)

This Journal will be a little unique in that I am thousands of miles from the actual tank in the journal. I am in the military and have been trying to setup a planted tank now for the last several years. Every time I get ready to pull the trigger and set up my dream tank I hear about an upcoming deployment or what not and everything gets put on hold. That just happened again in the last couple months but this time my awesome gf said that if I set her up a little one she would take care of it while I was gone with me sending instructions on what to do from out here.

So BAM! Finally I get to have a tank and a journal. Sort-of. Nevertheless, on to the tank!

I tried to make this a rather simple setup as she has zero experience in this but I may have gotten a little carried away. I set the tank up about a three weeks before I left so that makes it about a month and a half old now. Tanking it slow, no rush, and don't want to overwhelm her. She has about a 5-7 minute daily routine with it and that is about it.

Equipment:
I used an old scratched up 5.5g quarantine tank I had a decade ago for this.
Filtration is an eheim 2211.
Substrate is Eco-complete.
Light is a Clip-on with a 6500K twirly bulb in it.
Submerible heater from petco auto set to 76-78 degrees.
DIY CO2 in 20oz soda bottle with chopstick diffuser.

Flora:
E. Belem
M. Minuta
Hydrocotyle Sibthorpioides
Staurogyne repens
Fissidens fontanus
Marimo ball
Nymphoides aquatica
Anubias Nana 'petite'
Petsmart crypt in a bag. Weirdest crap ever.

Fauna:
1 Betta Splendens - Doubletail
7 Nannostomus marginatus - Dwarf Pencilfish
2 Ghost Shrimp
1 Batik Nerite
~20 RCS

She sent the first pics a little over a week ago. I can see quite a bit of growth since I left. She has no idea I am posting these on a journal so pardon the picture quality, she isn't trying win any contests.

Respectfully,
Kyle

Last edited by Retrogamer82; 02-16-2012 at 09:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have been trying to get some updated pictures but it is a fine line to walk. God forbid if I come off as if I miss the tank more than her lol. Which of course I do not.

Anyways, she has had her first algae outbreak and I am trying to tell her it isn't her fault. Some "green glass" and some "wtf" (BBA I think) on the driftwood near the surface. She said this needs to be taken care of before she sends more pics haha. These are steps we are taking:

1. I got her to pick up a mini magfloat that she loves and that took care of the glass for now.
2. I also told her to dose the excel straight onto the BBA for the next couple of doses.
3. Replenished the DIY CO2. Going to do it a little more often as she was just waiting till the bubbles stopped.
4. Also, somehow she thought I said at one point to never fill past the spray bar. That has been resolved to hopefully lower the surface disruption/gas exchange rate.

That's all I could think to do for now so we will see how it reacts over the next few days. Hopefully it clears up so I can get some updated pics.

She did send one pic.

BBA right?

Respectfully,
Kyle

Last edited by Retrogamer82; 11-27-2011 at 12:10 AM.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 10:05 PM
I ♥ BBA!

Just read your posts and I love the story of your tank! It is so great your girlfriend is doing the work and sending you pictures of the progress (even if you don't want to ask too often to make her feel more important, lol). Yes, that is BBA. I find it's not too uncommon to get it on newly added wood. The excel should definitely do the trick. That betta is a cutie! Tell your gf to keep up the good work!

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
Just read your posts and I love the story of your tank! It is so great your girlfriend is doing the work and sending you pictures of the progress (even if you don't want to ask too often to make her feel more important, lol). Yes, that is BBA. I find it's not too uncommon to get it on newly added wood. The excel should definitely do the trick. That betta is a cutie! Tell your gf to keep up the good work!
Thanks! Yeah, she has been doing a really good job. I even think she is starting to enjoy it. Obviously starting with no knowledge of any thing to do with aquariums, she is learning a ton at every step. Maybe my underlying goal is that she even picks up the hobby, mwahaha.

I was wondering if anyone else had any experience with those weird plants at petsmart sold in airtight plastic bags with no water. Their roots are in some kind of gel. I bought some (those crypts in the back) with the gf while we were waiting for plants ordered from the S&S and even told her at the time that we would probably throw them out when the other plants got here because I didnt think they would make it anyway. They were maybe 1/8 of the size they are now and that was only a month ago. I am pretty surprised as crypts are usually slow growers.

Any idea what sp they are? I am terrible at crypt ID's.

Respectfully,
Kyle

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 12:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Beautiful nano tank, awesome gf, hope you get back home soon safe and sound and set up your dream tank. Thanks for your service and sacrifice.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2in10 View Post
Beautiful nano tank, awesome gf, hope you get back home soon safe and sound and set up your dream tank. Thanks for your service and sacrifice.
Thanks for the kind words man. She is pretty awesome and really impressing me with her "aquaristic" skills. I think that is a word. She is starting to even learn the names of the plants. I was trying to tell her something about the little green plant in front of the driftwood and she was like, "you mean the Marsupial Minuta" lol.

Well she sent me a few more pics that were taken about 2 weeks after the ones I posted in the first post. You can see some new growth. Everything seems to be growing really well except the hairgrass. It is a little more green than it was so maybe it is finally coming around.

Just one of the guys!

Respectfully,
Kyle

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 08:50 PM
Algae Grower

do you know what type of hyrocotyle you have?
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 09:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

Nice Beta

**** Green ****

Green's Resurrection Aquarium Gallery
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris O'Keeffe View Post
do you know what type of hyrocotyle you have?
In the first post I have it listed as Sibthorpioides. That is what it was sold to me as in the S&S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_valley View Post
Nice Beta
This Beta takes "nice" to another level.. or I just have super ballsy RCS's

I mean.. seriously..

Respectfully,
Kyle

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 12:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

what is this plant? nice tank by the way
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutfish View Post
what is this plant? nice tank by the way
Thanks. It's fissidens fontanus.

Respectfully,
Kyle

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 08:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

This is a nice little setup.

You have a great selection of livestock in there. Those are some of the nicest critters for a small tank.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 09:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

lovely tank. i love seeing bettas in planted tanks, and definately love seeing them getting along with shrimp. I envy your "nice" betta
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
This is a nice little setup.

You have a great selection of livestock in there. Those are some of the nicest critters for a small tank.
Thanks! It worked out really well. Its kind of a funny story how we ended up with.... actually it isn't that funny at all but we are happy with the end result for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Mko. View Post
lovely tank. i love seeing bettas in planted tanks, and definately love seeing them getting along with shrimp. I envy your "nice" betta
Haha. Don't get me wrong, he keeps them on their toes.. er.. claws.. er.. whatever. It keeps them kind of "wild" I think. They don't really venture out into the light until they are pretty much full grown.

The ghost shrimp on the other hand... just last night I got this message:

Her: I AM SO MAD!!!!
Me: Huh?
Her: GHOST SHRIMP JUST ATE A CHERRY!!! WTF!!!!
Me: LOL! Yeah I wondered if that was gonna happen.
Her: ....
Her: I can't believe you laugh. It was terrible.

I'll spare you guys the rest of that convo but it was pretty hilarious. So I am saying to get rid of the ghost shrimp but she isn't sold on that yet. Any more showings like that though and she might get on board.

Respectfully,
Kyle

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 09:36 PM
I ♥ BBA!

Sorry, I'm the same with you on crypts and know nothing much about them. The petsmart plants are good, except some aren't aquatic. Best thing to do is to google the name before purchase to be sure it's true aquatic. This is a fantastic picture:

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode