Planted island aquarium: Started on Oct 26, 2011.
60x35x40 cm, 20 G rimless, black silicon.
DIY, ADA style red oak stained brown-to mach the rest of the house!
Ehiem Pro 3 + AquaEuroUSA 290 pump .
150w MH 10,000 (Replaced with 6700K-much better colors in my opinion) 10 hours/day. Cheesy Ikea colour leds for background effect.
Hydro 200w in-line.
Helix Max UV Sterilizer - 9 W.
Pressurized 5 lb. Aqua Medic Co2 Reactor 1000 (inline).
Flourite Black, Laterite, ADA Aqua Soil- Malaya normal + sand. White river sand for decoration.
Seachem Flourish , Flourish Iron, Flourish Trace. Dosing every 3 days with water change.
1/3 every 3 days + maintenance and trimming.
Cryptocoryne sp. (Tropic label on the plant says it is a bran new species. To me it looks like Cryptocoryne parva, but wuth wider and more point leaves).
Cryptocoryne wendtii 'brown'
Hygrophila corymbosa 'Angustifolia'
Amano shrimp (Caridina multidentata) x
. x1 left evil angelfish.
Red cherry shrimp (Neocaridina Heteropoda var. Red) x5
. Killed by the angelfish
Otos (Otocinclus affinis)
SAE (Crossocheilus siamensis)
Horned Nerite Snail (Clithon corona)
Angelfish (Pterophyllum scalare) x3 -wild pattern!!
Hemigrammus bleheri x10
The plan was to be as simplistic as possible as to avoid any distractions when you look at the setup. So the rimless tank, the simple box design of the stand and all the pluming that has to be out of sight.
The light was initially attached using a 3/4"x3/4" wood bar from the centre of the stand. Then I decided to changed it a 1/2 water pipe bent to support the light.
inflow>filter>co2 reactor>UV sterilizer>Heater>pump>outflow
The stand was built with red oak. All biscuit jointed. Stain + varnish for water proofing. Painted with white water resistant on the inside. (It took one week to build)
Protect the hard wood floors
Tank was drilled to have two take 3/4" bulkheads at the bottom (Rest of pluming was 1/2" though, just because of the limited space inside the cabient).
Aquarium filled with water and tested over night.
Putting it all together:
Testing different layouts and settled on this:
First layer is bit of leftover flourite black mixed with Laterite. secon thin layer of ADA soil then placed the hardscape material and then more ADA soil, white gravel and finaly ADA sand.
Planting on the day after the setup:
placed the filter from the old aquarium to help speed up cycling. Added algae crew.
Changed the light support from wood to metal pipe
: I am not sure if it was worth it but it look out of the way...which I guess good
Added anglefish. Ludwigia growing nicely. Removed the Echinodorus 'Ozelot'. The leave grew huge to the proportions of the Tank. Moved to my 180 planted.
Better pictures this time
Week 4.5 !
I Did some changes.
1-Trimmed the Cardamine and moved some of it around.
2-Moved the Ludwigia to the front and the Aponogeton to the back. I think it looks better this way.
3-Changed the bulb from 10,000k to 6,700K. Also, I moved the light fixture from 18" from water surface to 10". It brings in way more light intensity, but because of the plants mass now, after 4 weeks, I think they are doing very well to keep the algae in control. A lot of bubbling from the plants (; .
The glosso is growing nicely and covering the rocks-that everyone complained about
- around the island. I removed some of the big rocks around the rim let the glosso flow nicely.
After moving some of the Aponogeton to the back; some of the stems died. So, to fill the gap, I planted some Hygrophila corymbosa 'Angustifolia' to the right back side. This usually grows relatively fast and will fill the space in no time.
Also, planted some stems for Rotala rotundifolia to the left back side.
finally some Cryptocoryne wendtii 'brown' in the center to fill in some space there.
The Cardamine is growing like crazy, I have to trim it some times weekly
Added some Rummies (Hemigrammus bleheri).[censored]Also, I have an infestation of what I think is Staghorn Algae. It started right after I lowered the light source. The light caused the glosso to turn yellow/red as well. I might have to lifted up again
Glosso turning red:
Enjoy everyone and Merry Christmas
I ran through during the last 8 weeks:
I wouldn't call this a problem, but for people who don't know it; it grows on wood after soaking for the first time. It is not common. It is a self limiting condition. My otos helped removing it by nipping on the wood just beneath it (they don't eat it). It can be easily cleared if you attached a cycled filter to you aquarium as I did or if you add some mollys to you aquarium they will enjoy eating it.
2) Green water:
this was cleared after turning the UV sterilizer for one night. It was the MH with the plantes still catching up with nutrients pickup. other ways to clear it up is to do more frequent water changed and turn the light off (or cover the aquarium) for 2-3 days:
I am not 100% sure about what kind of algae. Can any one help identify it.
I will update the threat later. I hope you enjoyed it. I'll try to answer your questions if you have any.