Planted Tank Enthusiast
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
It has been a little over one week of running the sump and finished tweaking of the tank. The sump filteration is very impressive. I'm getting 2-3 times the filterations that I was getting from two Eheim 3 filters. My water is crystal clear, less mums/poops on the substrate, water movement is much better with the spray across the entire back of the tank, and surface film is gone. I did a pin wheel co2 injection from the pump, the co2 distribution is very evenly and thoroughly in the tank.
Filter is cleaning is very easy and takes 1/10th of the time. All I have to do is change out 6 filter socks and put new one in. Then thrown the dirty socks into the washer. The process takes about 5 minutes or less.
When I had my eheims it would take about 1 hour to clean which I hate the most. I would have to shut off the eheims, disconnect the hoses, pull out the canisters underneath my tank, drag them to my sink, clean them, place them back underneath the tank, and reconnect them. The canisters are not that easy to move because they hold 5 gallons of water which is about 40 lbs.
Things I would improved in my future built would be to use clear acrylic on the spray bar instead of the white PVC and make less holes in the wall. It is suppose to be measure twice and cut once. I cutted twice and measure once!