Planted Tank Enthusiast
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Overall, I'm still battling the crazy hair/threaded algae. I did another round of cleaning and pruning to remove as much as I could. Not sure, if I have the upper hand yet.
I have removed all of the DHG 'Belem', I can't believe how extensive their rooting system was. Literally, where it was growing covered all the surface so the crypt runners couldn't come through and just out complete the crypts in the area. Look the center picture where the DHG was growing, everything there is bare. The crypts in the area is still alive with only the crown left and runners. I think they will bounce back as crypts are pretty resilience plants. It will take time though... probably a month or so.
The tank also exhibited some melting last week because of the dead guppy. The crypts that were affected Keei 'Jambusan', long leafed nurii, aponogetifolia, zukalii, and affinis in the area. Lesson learned there...
Last, I've sold most of my affinis. It is a nice crypt but not in my long term plan.
I've decided to switch to sump for this tank. It will be my first ever sump setup. I've read the maintenance is a lot easier. Lets hope so. Since my tank is not drilled, I will be using an overflow box. At the moment, I'm looking to get one from Lifereef, it is a little expensive but they have great feedback and a piece of mind.