20 Long Rock Pile-Update--5/21/2012--Still slow growth...New Filter - Page 6 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
This isn't an update, not that anyone seems to be watching anymore lol. Not that much is changing. I put a single stem of Glosso in to see how that reacts. I have not used Glosso in a long time. I recently put some in my GF's 5 gallon (very low tech) and it really took off and has noticeably grown in under a week. I am thinking about using it instead, though I am concerned it will be hard to trim given my scape. That's why the slow growing grass was initially appealing but now it's just boring me.

Glosso:

Showing off the new background and proving I do have some plants lol:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 11:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

you have very little plant mass.
maybe add more hairgrass to speed things along.
post #78 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by @marko@ View Post
you have very little plant mass.
maybe add more hairgrass to speed things along.
I don't know exactly what it is which is preventing me from trying to find more. I got it very randomly. Otherwise that is exactly what I would do.
post #79 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 01:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

just so you know I'm following along. What is the backround made out of and how to you attach it to the tank, or is it attached? I agree that more plant mass would def help you out here. but the rock work is awesome... good luck with the co2.
post #80 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by frrok View Post
just so you know I'm following along. What is the backround made out of and how to you attach it to the tank, or is it attached? I agree that more plant mass would def help you out here. but the rock work is awesome... good luck with the co2.
Oh, I know my journal is probably super boring so I don't blame people for not responding lol. I didn't mean the comment I said in a bad way, just joking around. The tank gets boring to me, on and off, but now I am really considering the change. I just want to see how the Glosso grows before committing to it. I will likely actually keep the grass as well.

The background is that foam core poster board stuff. It's about 2.5 in off the back of the tank. I cut out sides so the light doesn't escape and it stays in place. I then put an old fixture under it (which also holds the board up). It's similar to a "shadow box" background you can find through a google search I first saw on reef tanks. I just didn't go that far. I am planing on painting it more similar to the sky, just don't really know how, lol.
post #81 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 12:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

cool... i have similar stuff as a backround on my half moon tank except its black and i taped it on. but I want to do something like what you did for my mini-m when i think its ready. just to get a nice photo. I feel you on the updates, i feel like my threads get boring also... hahaha.
post #82 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by frrok View Post
cool... i have similar stuff as a backround on my half moon tank except its black and i taped it on. but I want to do something like what you did for my mini-m when i think its ready. just to get a nice photo. I feel you on the updates, i feel like my threads get boring also... hahaha.
It's pretty easy. You just cut the board to the size of your tank, then glue some sides on. You can use tape or those small paper clamps to hold it on, remove when you want. Then put some sort of light source in. Most people put it on top, mine is on the bottom and seems to do fine. You could probably find a little florescent strip or LED light used for under cabinet lighting at a hardware store for cheap, given the small size of your tank.

Here is a diagram of what it would look like from the top. The blue is the tank, the grey is the background
post #83 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

So, not a lot new. The belem, whatever it is, has started to grow a bit more quickly with the addition of pressurized CO2. Still to slow for my tastes. I put in some DHG and it grew crazy fast but was WAY too tall. I have just decided to stick it out, it's the right size, I like the look, etc. I will break it up again which usually slows the growth for a bit but ultimately will make it more dense. I am not getting much of any algae and what I am getting is on the glass or the rocks so it's not a big issue having a small plant mass.

I would just go out buy whatever belem looked similar enough at this point but I am broke and can't find any locally anyway. I really have only seen this tank maybe 5 days out of the last 14 days so it doesn't bug me as much as it probably bugs all you following this lol.

The other major change is I ditched my AC HOB's. They were just too noisy for me, especially in my bedroom. They are old and noisy, I don't sleep very easily. Now I have an Eheim 2215 with a brand new 2217 impeller and shaft. Flow is probably overkill, with the hardscape and substrate this tank is only about 12-13 gallons.

I only took a front shot because not too much is going on.

post #84 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 04:50 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

On your lights, what are those silver things that the legs are resting on that look like silver handles/vise grips?
post #85 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythin View Post
On your lights, what are those silver things that the legs are resting on that look like silver handles/vise grips?
Here you go. I added some foam and used heat shrink tubing when I took the rim off my tank though, which was well after I posted this...
Talontsiawd's Low Tech 20 Long.....New Pics 8/15/2011
post #86 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 05:01 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks, thats definitely a cool idea, I may have to do that when I get my lights in!
post #87 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 02:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

good hard scape.

btw, where did you get the "legs" for your coralife light? I thinking of making something like that.

Proud 39th Member of the RAOK club!
post #88 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithy View Post
good hard scape.

btw, where did you get the "legs" for your coralife light? I thinking of making something like that.
2 posts above lol.
post #89 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 01:07 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

oppsss........... thanks.

Proud 39th Member of the RAOK club!
post #90 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

This is a bit of a "teaser" update. I finally decided to ditch my 29 gallon after a long time of bad luck. This tank never had a proper stand and had a pretty terrible viewing angle. Combined with the fact I am rarely in my bedroom, I rarely got to enjoy this tank.

I may have to start a V2 of this journal as it is far from the low tech philosophy I was going for. I had to actually move the tank (with help) with most of the hardscape and substrate intact. It was pretty sketchy. I guess I wasn't paying attention and my two shrimps finally bread. Unfortunately I didn't realize this until well after I started draining the water. I have only seen 2 baby shrimp so I can only imagine how many I likely poured outside. Needless to say, everything stayed intact.

So, my equipment list is much different now:

Lighting: 4x24 Aquaticlife T5HO fixture. I don't know how high this will have to be. Right now it is 13 inch above the rim, about 24 in above the substrate. I am using a short noon time burst with 2 bulbs. This was working well on my 29 gallon in low tech mode. I hope I can go down some but am loving how open it is. Without the background though, it doesn't look good as their is so much light spillage. I will figure out the height once things get sorted.

Filtration-Ehiem 2215 with 2217 impeller. Pretty simple here but crazy flow. I think the tank is less than 15 gallons (I really think it's around 12) with hardscape and substrate. The intake is makeshift and kind of sketchy for me in the short term. I am thinking I will go with some ebay lily pipes in the future.

Autodosing-I am doing the fountain pump method. I have two containers and two pumps on an electric timer. I already have it all measured out but I need to set it up again. I will just verify by the day. Not exactly sure how I am going to attach the outlets but I will likely use the bottom part of my DIY legs. I just like the look of the clamps.

Heater-Aquaclear 100 watt. This is the smallest heater I have that will do the job. I plan on going inline eventually. I don't know if I have enough room if I keep my outlet on the same side. I don't really want my outlet on the other side as it could get bumped easily. I will figure out that later.

UV Sterilizer-It's not plumbed in but I have a Coralife turbo twist 9 watt. I may or may not use it. I have to put it before my diffuser as CO2 gets trapped in it, or has in previous setups. Again, like the heater, it's going to be hard to plumb in if I keep my outflow on the same side, unless I move the canister to the other side. I may just sell it though.

CO2-I have a 20lb tank with a beverage regulator. I am pretty sure this started live out as a weed growing setup. I replaced the metering with a Fabco valve. I have been using a GLA inline but the nut that holds the tubing on broke so I am temporary using an in tank one. I did add back the meter when it was in my bedroom to feed a 10 gallon. That means I may buy a little nano that can fit on top the fridge. I have plenty of room for a second tank but I have a bunch of vinyl records that can't get wet so I can't put in on my shelf. I am thinking about an all in one nano like the Evolve or similar. I figure with the light spillage, I won't need to upgrade the light. If I go this route, I will try some selective breading.

Flora:
I still have the unknown type of belem. I will see if it improves with the new setup but if not, I will likely add some HC or similar. Now it is on display so I am going to be less patient. I will likely keep the belem and just see what happens, even if I add. I also have some sort of not rare red plant that grows slowly. I like it because it reminds me of these red trees I see on the hills here. The scale is not correct but it gives the vibe all the same. May or may not keep it.

Fauna:
Right now I have 2 RCS that I put in my 10 gallon temporarily. As said, i didn't see that they bread so I don't know how many babies I have. I will keep these for now. I may get something more exotic as time goes on. I really like Tangerine Tigers. I will likely wait a bit, not only to get the tank established and sorted but also because it is the last on my agenda.

Anyway, long update, I just want to take some notes for myself. Here is a bad pic. My camera sucks and even more so without a tripod. I made a mistake when buying my background as it has adhesive on one side. I will put blue or black paper on the sides so that's no biggie, just ugly for now, I couldn't see it before.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode