20 Long Rock Pile-Update--5/21/2012--Still slow growth...New Filter - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 90 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 02:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

thanks man... its stargrass

Sent from my iPhone

“Goodness is the only investment that never fails”

The Fisherman's Workbench
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 90 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefisherman View Post
thanks man... its stargrass

Sent from my iPhone
The plant above it. Looks like some sort of Rotala maybe?
post #33 of 90 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 02:35 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Off to a good start! I'm digging that rockscape.
post #34 of 90 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 02:41 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
The plant above it. Looks like some sort of Rotala maybe?
oh... ya they are a mixed bunch from
my nano. macrandas (red and green) and indicas i think

Sent from my iPhone

post #35 of 90 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefisherman View Post
oh... ya they are a mixed bunch from
my nano. macrandas (red and green) and indicas i think

Sent from my iPhone
It definitely is the Rotala indica that I am loving. I used to have some, no idea where it went lol. Actually, I used to have all 3 of those, never had good luck with the macranda. Really nice tank BTW.
post #36 of 90 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos_Being View Post
Off to a good start! I'm digging that rockscape.
Thank you. My last rockscape, I spent like 5 days tweaking. I went to a beach in the area here (Stinson Beach) a lot this summer and it had a lot of rock cropping out of the hills/mountain as well as on the actual coast by the beach. That was my inspiration. This took me like an hour or two, mainly with the substrate. I just put a rock here, put a rock there, didn't move stuff. Way happier than other tries and spent a fraction of the time.
post #37 of 90 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 04:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
It definitely is the Rotala indica that I am loving. I used to have some, no idea where it went lol. Actually, I used to have all 3 of those, never had good luck with the macranda. Really nice tank BTW.
very kind words thank you! definatley still a work in progress. Those guys only recently woke up in my tank... they seem stunted from the move, now they seem to be growing every day. my walichi however
loves getting moved amd hacked lol

i'll be pruning in a week or so. I am definately going to thin out the herd. you are welcome to an assortment of stems if you like. just pm if ur interested

Sent from my iPhone

post #38 of 90 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 03:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
It is made by Coralife but I believe Aqueon sells and identical fixture under their brand now. Here is how I made the bracket- Talontsiawd's Low Tech 20 Long.....New Pics 8/15/2011
I had a rim on the time so I added some thin strips of high density foam on each side after I derimmed the tank.
I have this same light that I'm using (using some Ikea shelf brackets resting on the top of the tank right now) on a rimless tank I just got and I love your brackets. This may be a dumb question, but what is OSH?

Quote:
4 Clamps found in foutain section of OSH for reducing water flow through tubing
Btw, your tank looks great!
post #39 of 90 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixella View Post
This may be a dumb question, but what is OSH?
Orchard Supply Hardware. It's a hardware chain.
post #40 of 90 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

So this tank is going to be filled earlier than I had hoped. It will also have Cardinal Tetras. It's not idea and I could use some help if anyone care to read- http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fi...d-stocked.html

On the flip side, I get a sweet filter. It will have an Eheim 2234. That makes me want to do an inline heater really badly but it wouldn't be hidden from site, just from the tank. I will have some other equipment for sale so maybe I will have the funds. I actually am thinking CO2 now, I know how slow this stuff grows under water. Not that the dry start has been quick.

I may fill as soon as tonight, I don't know how soon I can get pictures though, I have a bunch of stuff to do in the following days and family in town. I think all Cardinals are going to look sweet though, my tank that is coming down was like this and was really cool.
post #41 of 90 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 04:41 AM
Planted Tank VIP

Is there no cap on the dirt substrate?

Whats the reasoning for doing the emersed start here? Hair grass is not tough to keep down...

post #42 of 90 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
Is there no cap on the dirt substrate?

Whats the reasoning for doing the emersed start here? Hair grass is not tough to keep down...
This isn't a dirt tank. Dry start is because I have some aggressive slopes and hope to keep them as intact as possible. Even though the growth is slow, it still seems faster than the last tank I had this plant in, with no CO2. I don't know what type of plant it is, but I don't know if you noticed that I switched out the DHG. This stuff, which I believe is Japanese Hair Grass, has grown incredibly slow for me in general.
post #43 of 90 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 02:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
So this tank is going to be filled earlier than I had hoped. It will also have Cardinal Tetras. It's not idea and I could use some help if anyone care to read- http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fi...d-stocked.html

On the flip side, I get a sweet filter. It will have an Eheim 2234. That makes me want to do an inline heater really badly but it wouldn't be hidden from site, just from the tank. I will have some other equipment for sale so maybe I will have the funds. I actually am thinking CO2 now, I know how slow this stuff grows under water. Not that the dry start has been quick.

I may fill as soon as tonight, I don't know how soon I can get pictures though, I have a bunch of stuff to do in the following days and family in town. I think all Cardinals are going to look sweet though, my tank that is coming down was like this and was really cool.
i'm excited for u bro... i read ur thread and i feel like its safe to add fish to both ur tanks:

1) 29g - your 29 thats been up and running i believe is fully established. (that and you've got an established 2215 running)! i say bring it on and dont worry too about increasing bio-load. of course the system will balance itself with new fish, but chemistry won't swing to the point that it will harm ur fish.

2) 20g Long - if your DSM has been up for 6 weeks minimum, i would say there is enough beneficial bacteria on yiur substrate to safely add fish. i would however sees your new filter with gunk from the 2215

bottom line i think your good to go. the only thing i would definitely recommend is daily monitoring of water parameters for any spikes or swings in pH.

Sent from my iPhone

post #44 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

So I didn't have to transfer my fish as I thought. My girlfriend decided she could not part with the tank. I am super happy, though I will not have a canister filter/inline heater for the foreseeable future.

However, I had to add more water than I wanted each time for the dry start as I am never home. Between that and the humidity/photoperiod, I am growing all sorts of algae emmersed. I have brown algae, GDA, BGA, and I may have some BBA (I can't tell but I doubt it). I may have some staghorn or other algae. Because my plants are not growing quickly, I decided I am just going to see what happens. SO, I FILLED IT. It looks sick but I can't get good pictures in the daytime.

UPDATE will be SOON.
post #45 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

As said, updates....I couldn't get my camera to take as good of pictures as I wanted. I just use a cheapo point and shoot (I mean cheap, not a point and shoot that is worse than better camera's, a point and shoot that doesn't compare to decent point and shoot).

As you can see, a lot of algae, the dry start didn't stop that. I am just going to see what happens. There is some fish food to start the cycle, I doubt it will be much of one, my filters have been on another tank for 2 months, used substrate, and a long time of having some water. If BGA can be prolific, I assume there is some bacteria for my future shrimp.

Anyway, not great pics but here it is. It will take forever to grow out so I am rethinking if I will keep my only plant:

As you can see, not much growth, there is but not much

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode