20 Long Rock Pile-Update--5/21/2012--Still slow growth...New Filter - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 04:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

Sweet! I really really like the arrangement, it is very pleasing. It is going to look great with plants.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 02:08 AM
Algae Grower

Cant wait to see more.After seeing your other thread on your Low Tech 10g.
post #18 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Anyone have some shrimp advice? Red is my very least favorite color and only RCS/CRS have been local to me for a long time. Now I have access to some Orange Bee Shrimp locally (at least I think that is what they are). I don't know exactly what I want but I want something that isn't red, is hardy, and very easy to breed. Price is a big factor. Not sure it will be a shrimp tank but I am leaning that way.
post #19 of 90 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 04:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I always like long tanks.... can't wait to see how this one fill up... woooo!!
post #20 of 90 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

So, update time. The dry start is going really slow. You probably can't even really tell their is growth in the pictures. About half of the grass has yellowed but is now putting out new runners. Some has stayed green and is still putting out runners. They are really small and don't make much of an impact. I have also been breaking large clumps up, so many of the smaller clumps don't show up in pics.

The only thing I have changed is I added a heat mat. It has increased the humidity but has had no impact on growth, that I can tell. It is a good "safety net" as I don't need to spray as often and I am not home a lot. You can see this in the first picture, I wiped the glass down for the rest.

I also added a 3 watt LED on a goose neck from Ikea. It clamps on and has some sort of optics so it looks really good. It is also really easy to position in different ways to get different effects. I tried it on a filled 20 Long and it looks great. It shimmers really good and doesn't have "hot spots". My only complaint is it is a bit yellow, which actually looks pretty natural, but I wish it was a bit more white. In the last pictures you can see it's real color, and the color I wish it was. It's $14.99 at Ikea.

Lastly, I bought an electrical timer. Only reason for this is it is in my bedroom and I have trouble getting to bed. Even though my mechanical timer is really quiet, it often makes it hard to sleep. $20 well spent HAHA.

I am not in a rush to fill but I think it is going to take awhile. I need this to be fairly planted before I fill to keep anything resembling the slopes that are there now. Hopefully breaking up the clumps will help get this going, the roots are deep when I pull things out. There just isn't enough coverage.

Anyway, on to the pictures...

How it looks normally:

How it looks after wiping down the glass for pics:

Left side:

Right side (as best I can with my bed in the way)

New runners, you can see how small they are, especially the two groups closest to the middle

Top, no noticeable growth but it's there

With moon light (it's not as orange)

Messing with camera settings, this would be the perfect color
post #21 of 90 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I have pretty much decided that this will be a shrimp only tank, at least at the beginning. I am having a bit of trouble deciding. Maybe people can chime in.

I know I don't want CRS. I don't know why, they don't appeal to me. I have kept RCS and had great luck with them, they are an option. Fire reds would be even better if I choose Red. I do like blue pearls but I don't know how they would look in a tank like this.

I am really leaning toward something yellow or orange. My LFS has some Orange shrimp that look awsome but are $5 each, if I buy in bulk. I don't really want to spend that there as they don't always have the healthiest stock. I am looking for something hardy and easy to breed. They would start in this tank but will end up in others. Any suggestions?
post #22 of 90 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 01:52 AM
Algae Grower

This looks pretty awesome! Since you don't like the color red, why not try some crystal black shrimp? I've got some myself and they are pretty cool, they'd stand out well too because they still have the bright white stripes on them.
post #23 of 90 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonsong93 View Post
This looks pretty awesome! Since you don't like the color red, why not try some crystal black shrimp? I've got some myself and they are pretty cool, they'd stand out well too because they still have the bright white stripes on them.
Thanks for the complement.

I don't mind red shrimp, I just have done the RCS thing and want to try something new. I actually dislike CBS more than CRS, I don't know, I just don't like that species for whatever reason. The red, orange, yellow color spectrum appeals to me most, not because it's my favorite color, I just feel like it would compliment the scape and fish I keep in other tanks, and eventually in this, if I keep fish.
post #24 of 90 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

When I replaced my timer with a digital one, I upped my photo period to 14 hours. I am now getting emersed algae. I had a bit of brown algae at the front substrate because I don't always keep the water level low enough when I know I won't be home. Now I have what looks to be both GSA and BGA on the rocks. I don't mind the GSA but hopefully the BGA will not survive long term. The last thing I want on startup is BGA.

It doesn't surprise me that it can exist in these conditions, the rocks are always wet from the humidity but it kind of surprises me how quickly it established. It was only about 3 days. This means I will have to be very careful with my photo period. I have already been successful with this light but only with 6-8 hours on. However, I had a much bigger variety of plants, including many fast growing species. Hopefully I will not have issues with just the hair grass.
post #25 of 90 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 03:48 AM
Algae Grower

It's beautiful. Where'd you find your rocks? Hhttp://www.plantedtank.net/forums/tank-journals-photo-album/158004-petite-planted-pretty.html help me with mine?
post #26 of 90 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

This isn't much of an update. Growth is steady but really slow. I am hoping one day it will really start gaining some ground. There has been a long transition to emersed so I think it there is a chance for it to start growing more quickly soon. It may just continue to be slow. Still deciding on what shirmp to keep but it's still going to be awhile. I may setup a 10 gallon to get started though.

Here are just 2 pics, again, not anything you would really notice:

post #27 of 90 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 12:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

do you happen to know what type of rocks those are? planning on hitting up a rock yard soon. i want something with similar character. thanks... and i like the arrangement as well. looking good.
post #28 of 90 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by frrok View Post
do you happen to know what type of rocks those are? planning on hitting up a rock yard soon. i want something with similar character. thanks... and i like the arrangement as well. looking good.
I don't know. It may have had "green" in the name, I can't remember if they were these or other stones I have that had green in the name. They don't look green at all though, they are grey.

I see them everywhere. They really aren't attractive from a far. You really have to pick each one out. If I just randomly piled up 500lbs, I probably would only use a fraction of that. Even with over 200lb total, I don't like about 1/2 of the ones I picked myself lol.
post #29 of 90 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 01:02 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

talin that looks pretty awesome man... can't wait to see it grown in!

Sent from my iPhone

“Goodness is the only investment that never fails”

The Fisherman's Workbench
post #30 of 90 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefisherman View Post
talin that looks pretty awesome man... can't wait to see it grown in!

Sent from my iPhone
What plant is in the middle of your tank in your sig pic? Looks awesome.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode