29 gal planted betta tank 1 year evolution - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
29 gal planted betta tank 1 year evolution

I have three separate tanks and I've been meaning to make a photo journal of the whole process. So here goes nothing.

This is a betta tank. My first real fish tank, and one I learned alot from. I will say this; bettas have to be the best fish to ever exist. I own just about every popular SA cichlid, angels, danios, all kinds of plecos, roseline sharks, clown loaches - the list goes on - but nothing makes me happier then my bettas. The death of one of my girls, Dori (I have three named fish of the 100+ I've owned) on 11/4 prompted this. Never had a more kick ass fish.

Bettas unfortunately are a pretty heart breaking species. I have found them very prone to all manner of diseases and bacteria, and often they will just show up dead for no discernible reason. My male bettas did not share in this characteristic, and have proven tremendously hardy. Females .. not so much. They are amazing personable little creatures though, a full year and 100 + fish later, still my favorites.

I apologize in advance for the crappy quality of some of the photos. Some are from a camera phone, some are a real camera, and all suffer from compression from hosting.

12/10 My first foray into a real fish tank. Prompted by the gift of a male betta for Christmas, I couldn't stand to see him in one of those pathetic betta bowls. This is the start of one hell of a snowball.

1/11 I laugh looking back at how unnatural everything looked, and the cheesy petco gravel. We all have to start somewhere though.

Just a pic of the aforementioned Dori. Why she thought this was where she should call home i'll never know, but this basically made me realize how hilarious and personality filled betta fish are.

3/11 I bought a pleco, which died. I felt bad, and did some research. This is where I stumbled on *drum roll* driftwood. I purchased some neons, which I unfortunately learned could not adapt to my very high ph and hardness water. A sad lesson.

The little guy that started it all. This is what he claimed as home, I couldn't help but take a picture. RIP.

4/11 started doing some serious research at this point, and getting into it. Prep:

4/11 new filter, black background, mineralized sand, replanted. I was quite proud here. It makes me sad to look at this now, because every betta in that picture is now gone, including dori - the peach / red finned girl in top left.

Speaking of Dori. This was her poking her head out after exploring around her redone tank. It's a tribute to how awesome bettas are. How many fish hide and sulk and become skittish when they / or things are moved. Bettas love it, and Dori was always the first to explore every damn thing. If this isn't cute as hell, I don't know what is. Just coming to say hi before diving back into the new stuff.

7/11 Replanted a few things, getting nice plant growth.

10/11 Final shot of the tank in this configuration. Crazy to see how the plants and what not grow, especially the java moss from how it originally looked.

11/11 Most recent shot. Allow me to explain. My girlfriend is pretty into the whole fish thing, which is quite cool.. but she's always subject to whatever I want (She doesn't live with me) she often helps me with maintenance and such.. so I decided to reward her. I told her if she did an 80% water change on the betta tank, she could plunder all my other tanks and supplies and redesign the tank however she wanted. This is the end result. I can't say it's what I would have done, but she enjoyed it and it's a change. So why not.

And last but not least, because it seems only appropriate. A tribute shot to my original bettas, all have passed. RIP.

Hope you enjoyed. I will be putting up my other tanks to follow, and will update this thread in the future. I consider myself an expert in bettas now, and would love to help anyone out that is considering them. Much of what you read and hear is based on rumor and not necessarily true, for better or worse. Thanks for looking!
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode