...Continued from here
After waiting almost two months for my submerged HC carpet to fill in and getting nowhere (most of it just kept getting uprooted), I decided to bite the bullet and just do a DSM on both tanks.
I started by setting up a temporary 10 gal. tank for the existing livestock. There are 8 CPDs, 20 microrasboras, 7 pygmy cories, and 2 otos. I've sold most of the CRS/CBS because I plan on getting better grades later on. I stuck in a spare Ohko stone and a wisteria plant. It's lit by a Marineland LED hood. Substrate is Fluval Ebi.
To avoid cycling I just connected both existing Eheim canisters to the tank in series. It's heated by one of the Hydor in-line heaters.
Now onto the tanks... week 1
I kept the stone arrangements the same and just planted the HC and Eleocharis parvula
individually to help speed up growth/spreading.
After learning the first time how wildly DHG can spread, I've made sure to use taller plastic dividers and doubled up it against the glass. It'll all disappear once the carpet fills in.
The HC is doing well after 6 days. There are no yellowing leaves. A lot of the older leaves on the DHG has turned brown, but there's a lot of new growth visible as well.
I've used the same two plants for this tank. The rock arrangement was also kept the same.
Both tanks are lightly misted twice a day with dechlorinated water that's been added with a few drops of Pfertz and Excel. The lights are on for about 12-14 hours.
Thanks for reading!