40g Breeder HI-Tech Firt attempt'ish - 56k beware Pic heavy - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 75 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpnmoss View Post
NICE STAND! You can always tell when the reefers comes over to the green side. All the technology and cool gadgets that are incorporated into their builds.
Reefers constantly push technology when it comes to aquariums, LED lighting is just one example of this. A lot of things I tried to incorporate into this tank are the result of all the mistakes I made reefing and the things I didn't like about my reef tank.

Just for fun the last FTS of my reef

Last edited by oosurfin; 10-25-2011 at 05:34 AM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 75 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 05:43 AM
Shrimpsanity

Send a message via Yahoo to shrimpnmoss
I know a ex-reefer that does planted tanks now. His tank is like a reef tank minus the salt....auto-fert dosing, auto water top offs...sump...aquacontroller...the whole nine..

|ShrimpTech|v1|v2|v3|v4|
post #33 of 75 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I may end up doing some kind of auto fert dosing and auto top off we will see.
post #34 of 75 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 05:49 AM
Shrimpsanity

Send a message via Yahoo to shrimpnmoss
I'm sure it'll be sweet if the stand is any indication. What is that big white coral smack dab in the middle of your tank? Next to the clown fish.

|ShrimpTech|v1|v2|v3|v4|
post #35 of 75 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It is Trumpet coral some people call them candy cane coral. It looks a little washed out in the picture, it was much greener than that.
post #36 of 75 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok got some work done tonight since I slept off my hang over all day. I started mocking up all my equipment positions and got lights running while I am figuring out the final position for the tank. So I got a ton of pics for everyone. Here we go.

Here is a pic from the side

Here is the setup to keep the side panels attached.

Here are the lights on from the front

Here are the lights on from the side

more to come.
post #37 of 75 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

One thing I really hated about my reef tank was opening the canopy to work in the tank and being blasted by a ton of light. so the split canopy that opens on itself was necessary and here is exactly why.

Lights on and canopy open

And now with my drift wood in the tank!!

MAN THAT LOOKS NICE!!!!
post #38 of 75 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 10:14 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

REALLY GOOD BUILD!!!

I can't wait to see it come together! Everybody is getting their 40B tanks setup from the last $1 per Gallon sale, and mine is still in it's packing on the kitchen floor!!! Dang it sux to be broke!!!

I am subscribed too!

Again GREAT BEGINNING!!!
Drew
post #39 of 75 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 10:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

P.S. What kind of filter are You running on the tank?
post #40 of 75 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxxerBoyDrew View Post
REALLY GOOD BUILD!!!

I can't wait to see it come together! Everybody is getting their 40B tanks setup from the last $1 per Gallon sale, and mine is still in it's packing on the kitchen floor!!! Dang it sux to be broke!!!

I am subscribed too!

Again GREAT BEGINNING!!!
Drew
I'm to the point now where I am getting super excited because I know I'll be putting water in the tank in the next 24 hours. There is nothing worse than staring at a tank day in and day out thinking "when when can I set this thing up!" I got to do that for like a month+ at this point. On a good note i've spent the evening working on cable management so it wont be super ugly under the tank. here are some pics of the progress.

lighting ballast

Cords all zip tied

Back of the power center so far

I still need to move my Co2 system over from the other tank once that gets torn down and get 1 more light timer for the co2. I plan to have the lights and the co2 on different timers so I can start co2 before lights come on and go off before lights turn off.
post #41 of 75 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxxerBoyDrew View Post
P.S. What kind of filter are You running on the tank?
For filtration I jumped on the SUNSUN band wagon. I had a rena filstar about 10 years ago when I bread african cichlids, so I knew what I was looking for but didn't want to spend my life savings on an ehiem canister. I ran the filter for about a week on a 5 gallon sparklets bottle when I first got it to help flush some of the dirt off the media I will be using and to make sure it worked. I have all sorts of unboxing pictures that I will post as well as some initial thoughts about the filter.
post #42 of 75 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So on the topic of filtration, I really want to try and limit the amount of equipment in the tank because I hate looking at it. So the current plan is to use an Up aqua inline co2 atomizer with a PERFECT(read sunsun) HW-404B. Specs are pretty nice on the filter, it has 9w UV sterilizer(not sure how effective it will be) 4 very large media trays, It pushes 525gph so I shouldn't ever need a power head in the tank and it only draws 55w of power with the UV running. I am using Seachem Bio Matrix in 3 of the 4 trays, I picked up a 4L bucket of the stuff and used all of it. I have 3 filter pads in the bottom tray, 2 totally full trays of bio matrix and the top tray is 3/4 full with a filter pad on top. When there are no trays in the canister it will hold almost 5 gallons of water, its approx. 19"Hx12"Wx12"L darn near the size of a 5 gallon bucket.

Now for some pictures

The Box

How it was packed

Filter vs 1 gallon of milk

Trays/accessories/UV

post #43 of 75 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 11:54 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

It looks pretty cool... Let us know how it did.
post #44 of 75 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ITS GOT WATER. Only bad thing....LEDS don't add shimmer.

Lining the path

Starting to fill it in. I see your $20 sand flatteners and raise you a $2 spatula

Filled

Closer

Left

Right
post #45 of 75 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

well its been up and running coming close to 24 hours and the sunsun filter is putting a lot of heat into the water. the tank is about 81 right now and the temp is the house is in the mid 70's and I'm not running the lights on the tank. I was running the UV But I just turned that off so we will see how things progress

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode