My Hate Tank. A tale of transforming my 5.5 gallon impulse buy. (56k) - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 167 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I felt good after venting all that rage. I felt really good. I slipped into a state of relaxation and peace so deep, that I began to hallucinate. I was in the tank, nothing was right. Everything was wrong. A betta the size of the cosmos appeared from some giant fronds of java fern and spoke to me. I couldnt understand what he said, but all of a sudden I knew... this tank was going to change me. This was meant to heal me.

I woke up suddenly... throwing 2 cats and a kitten in far corners of the room. What was that... and epiphany? Some sort of endorphin induced dream? Perhaps someone had slipped acid into my beef stroganoff. I couldn't be sure. What I was sure of is that I still hated the tank. Once glance and I needed a shower. It dirtied me. I got in and pondered what had happened.

I've been getting cynical at the ripe old age of 19. Nothing is fun anymore. I take enjoyment out of almost nothing that all my other friends do. Was I becoming anti social? Hey Brandon!! Lets go to the club and get so wasted we wake up next ot a pair of tranny hookers we hope we didnt pay for!! No!! Wanna go play real life Mario Kart? No!! Wanna go race skateboards with fireworks strapped to the back? No! Wanna go to the mall? No! In my defense I've never liked that last one.

Naturally this makes me hate alot in life. Very few things still have that.. sparkle. Except Disney, but I wont delve into my overly creepy obsession with Disney. Perhaps this tank was meant to heal me. It was corny sounding. But it made sense. I often found therapeutic outlets in things like this.. Little projects. Normally they faded in an out, but already this hobby has stuck around longer than others. Perhaps this tank was going to be the one I hashed my life out in. Leading me to a peace bringing existance in the future.
Or maybe I just hated the tank, and wanted an excuse to like it. I guess we will see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 167 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

After dragging myself out of the shower I decided.. what the heck I should get going with this tank.. see where it goes. I got dressed and decided to go driftwood hunting. See.. where I live. Theres a tiny little hill with a water tower on it. In between miles and miles of housing complexes. But dont be fooled.. Not only is there a grove of ancient oaks up there, but theres also a fair amount of manzanita. And whatever I do to this tank, Theres going to be driftwood.

I rounded up one of my guard kitties. Dont be fooled... That monster below has come home with raccoons. I've seen him mentally break and scare my neighbors pitbull with some sort of kitty mind trick. With Dio in hand I went out to brave the patch of California wilderness. Dont let that plant fool you with its pretty autumn colours. Its not autumn. Its still summer our here in socal.
Attached Images

post #18 of 167 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I felt the heat before I saw it.. It hit me like a ton of bricks as I opened my door. I hate heat.. another reason for me to just hate this tank.. And I looked out to see pure California gold, pure molten gold. At 7am.. there it is folks... Now the rest of the process was a bit.. challenging... So I didnt bother to take any pictures.. I can assure you that peoples stares As I walked my cat down to road carrying dead branches were priceless..
What I can show you is the haul. Those are oak. I decided against manzanita. And thats Dio reveling in his accomplishment. I have a feeling im gonna hate the cleaning process...
Attached Images

post #19 of 167 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Ok... entertaining story formats over.. Because I'm stuck... Im boiling and cleaning the driftwood as I write this.. which.. btw.. is a process I loath...
Found some good pieces...
I also went to leslies and got pool filter sand... Which I hate... Literally... This stuff I;m not even going to use... Is awful looking...
But... heres where I'm stuck... I'm practicing the look I want to achieve in my upcoming 60 gallon... I dont want this tank to be hard to care for. So I'm going with the whole lowlight motif... But I'm super inexperienced with plant species...
So I have no idea what to do with it plant wise... I need all the suggestions I can get...
I know I want fissidens for the driftwood.. and mini pellia for the wall.. I was hoping for some crypts or something. I have no idea. Pleas ehelp with this one..
This is the look I'm going for.
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6007/...3b1cf29c_z.jpg
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/my...2-jaidexl.html
please help guys... I really want to get this tank going!!
post #20 of 167 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 12:52 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

narrow leave java fern is used in both those tanks, it grows well in low light setups, however growth is slow

http://www.youtube.com/user/fishingnerd36?feature=mhee

sunsun pimp #62

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tranq...2603914?ref=hl
post #21 of 167 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

It also doesnt fit well in a 5 gallon... I believe.. not that Ive seen it in person./ it just doesnt look like it would..
post #22 of 167 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Well.. I cleaned up the wood.. broke off what I wanted.. Chose two main pieces and a handful of twigs.. I've been boiling them all day and letting them soak all night. The tannins are almost completely gone... well I'm sure there's still a lot left.. but the water is hardly changing colour anymore...
The bark is a bugger to get off with these things... I've tried power washers, scraping, sanding, everything. It seriously does not come off. I've finally got one of my main pieces almost completely clean. I've been arranging what I have to see what I like.. I might post picture so you guys can tell me which you think is best...
I'm still not sure what to make the main portion of plants out of. Still waiting on more suggestions. I like java fern but it looks huge. All of them look huge.
I did however order the mini pellia, fissidens, and anubias nana petite. Not sure if the petite will go in this tank, but I do have a couple I would like to put it in... I'm excited!! I figured I would get the moss on the wall and driftwood going while I figured out what else to put in there...
BTW... with mini pellia fissidens and microrasbora's.... Is there a temperature range I should be avoiding? Just asking... my room reaches an easy 102 during the summer... And my little tanks tend to heat up quickly. I'm moving rooms this coming month. To one that stays cooler... Not sure how much cooler. But just wondering if I should start preparing to keep my tanks cool this summer. This is why I don't own CRS.. lol..
I'm emptying the tank tonight and painting the back black... Just because where im putting it I think theres going to be a light source behind it.
post #23 of 167 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 09:26 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpo View Post
Any other live stock beside the Catfish?
I like this tank.

Hah!
post #24 of 167 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 01:01 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I also HATE this tank... I HATE the background which I have to say was something I was thinking about doing for my 55gal but I decided not to do it as it would be a lot of trouble and weight. lol! I think the idea of mini pellia on it will be PURE HATE... I dont have a thing for bettas but those BETTAS are AMAZING!!!
post #25 of 167 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

LOL
Its not super troublesome as long as you dont go overboard with it like I did. And the weight isnt too substantial. I'm also not going to have nearly as much substrate I dont think...
Arent they beautiful. I've always had a thing for show betta's... But would never get one unless I had a tank to show it off... Which im hoping... this might maybe do.. at some point.. possibly.. I really like that last one.. its gonna be ahrd ot find one like him.. but they always have other ones that are so beautiful. Who knows what I might end up with.
post #26 of 167 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I finally got the driftwood cleaned of almost all the bark.. turns out a few days of boiling and soaking, plus a wire brush works. Sort of... Theres still small bits I have to get off...
However, guess what came back with a vengeance after the bark came off..

Tannins!!!!! The newly cleaned wood turned the fresh pot of boiling water a very very very very dark colour. It looks nice. I see the appeal of blackwater setups now. But not what I want for this tank. This tank needs pristine water.
the plants come in on wednesday or thursday. Maybe friday. So I'm gonna keep soaking and boiling till then. Hopefully it will be a light color that some carbon will take it right out of the water.
Maybe I should invest in purigen.
post #27 of 167 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Well... All of the driftwood is cleaned of its bark.. and actually.. after my 3rd pot of boiling water, all the tannins went away... Kinda cool.. not to mention they are all water logged right now... which is awesome... I can just stick them in the sand.. lol...
Im not so sure Im happy with the stick I have though. I know fer sure I like two of them... but I might have to start cleaning up more.. Just in case..
My friend who has a much better eye for these things is comming over today.. ill ask her then.

Last edited by Eldachleich; 10-22-2011 at 08:50 PM.
post #28 of 167 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 06:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

*subscribed, out of pure hatred.

Keeper of plants, shrimp & oddball 'monsters'.
30gal X2 Journal | 'Ebiwagumi' EDGE
post #29 of 167 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 08:01 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Your cats name is Dio? That's awesome!
post #30 of 167 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DishyFishy View Post
Your cats name is Dio? That's awesome!
XD.. thanx... Most people hate his name... I;m glad someone likes it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode