my 75G newbie build... - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 80 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 04:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

1 i think you got a really good deal $ wise on the stuff you got.
2 i think the yellow is from the dw...i used miracle-gro for my 56G and didn't have half as much coloration as your earlier pics indicated.
3. i like the shape of the dw
4. i think cherries would be fine with the livestock you're thinking, but i think cherries are much too small for a 75G, personally.

i get my 75G on wednesday...hope the light is as nice as yours
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 80 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenche View Post
1 i think you got a really good deal $ wise on the stuff you got.
2 i think the yellow is from the dw...i used miracle-gro for my 56G and didn't have half as much coloration as your earlier pics indicated.
Thanks, I think its an awesome deal to! I know that the drift wood definitely contributed, but the potting mix was turning it a tea color within a day (before the drift wood was even added) ... the last two pictures with the drift wood, one was taken RIGHT after I put the drift wood in, and then the orange-brown one was taken approx. 12 hours later! Both are definitely contributing to the discoloration, but I think with the help of the people here I'm going to be able to get rid of the funky colored water much sooner than originally anticipated

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenche View Post
3. i like the shape of the dw
4. i think cherries would be fine with the livestock you're thinking, but i think cherries are much too small for a 75G, personally.

i get my 75G on wednesday...hope the light is as nice as yours
Again, thanks I found it at a reptile expo right as I was about to leave. I think its gorgeous and really adds to the tank Not sure if the placement is going to stay the way it is, but time will tell.

Good to know about the cherries... I look at my tank and I know its considered a larger tank and I see people that stock them with 7 and sometimes more discus fish and I think the tank is too small lol. I never thought of the cherry shrimp being too small for the tank. I guess its a possibility!

Good luck with your tank, I'll look out for pictures of it! And, I bought the light on mine from Ebay for $65CAD (i think it was like $59US) + free shipping... I love it, it may prove to be too much light, but again, time will tell, I have a few quick fixes for that up my sleeve thanks to this forum to
post #33 of 80 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 05:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTetra View Post
I bought the light on mine from Ebay for $65CAD (i think it was like $59US) + free shipping..It may prove to be too much light, but again, time will tell, I have a few quick fixes for that up my sleeve thanks to this forum to
What are those quick fixes. Good info for others.
post #34 of 80 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 04:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

the tank should be here tomorrow (unless the craiglist guy stands me up, but doubt he will).

when i think back, it could be the miracle-gro...i actually had soaked mine in the tank and drained it a couple times before really filling it up, so that probably helped lots.

and that's a pretty good price for the lights too...gonna have to keep an eye out on ebay :P mine is only coming with a single T8 bulb...which is on the lower lumens side than I was hoping for. I run 4xT5HO for my 56G...though i only turn the second set on when I get home.
post #35 of 80 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 04:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

In response to the tannins. They are definitely from the soil. It will do that for a while. A long while. I am sure the wood is not helping any either. I have some mopani wood in a tank, and the wood has been in use for over a year, and still leaches a little bit. Good luck with the tannins. It will go away.

I am diggin the tank so far. And you got an amazing deal in it. No doubt about that. I will be following along on this one.

The Fraternity of Dirt #39
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Cable's Madness
Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
post #36 of 80 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
What are those quick fixes. Good info for others.
Lol they're far from original quick fixes lol, I think someone actually posted here giving me some info about using window screen and floating plants...

I think I have to get another test kit. Mine is a Nutrafin test kit and I don't think its accurate... if anyone can recommend a better one I'm open to hearing it.

My nitrite levels are seemingly high... between 1.6 - 3.3 mg/L - I'd say closer to the 1.6 than the 3.3 (thats how these tests are graded which is a little complicating...)

Nitrates: 110 mg/L I guess thats closest... it grades by color and it goes from light pink to fuschia... I hate these tests...

PH is at 7.0

just looking at the kit I'm discouraged... I'm going to have to buy a different type because this one seems so difficult to get accurate results out of.
post #37 of 80 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 10:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

The tank looks nice and the more plants you add the less you'll need to test, I use Mardel 5 in 1 test strip, everybody hate them but I love them, I use them once a week to test for nitrates only if I think somthing is off with my dosing but I sold my RedSea test kit at an auction for $10 and I was glad to get it sold.

If you have to have it get a good ole API kit, they are good enough but I rarely worry about testing.

Nice job on the clean up and silicone and the water already look clearer to me but the tea color doesn't hurt anything and before you know it will be gone, it's that piece of wood in the middle. More plants, more plants, More plants, equals cleaner water. keep up the good work.
post #38 of 80 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Awesome, thanks for the tips, I didn't know if I added more plants it would help the color... My plants are all showing growth which is awesome...

This plant in particular (if someone could ID it for me, I'd be grateful.. still don't know my plants other than anubias and java fern, and even then mistook an anubia for a calla lily hehe)

we're doing a 25% water change now to try to decrease the nitrite levels if indeed they are as high as the test said...

I'm also buying $50 worth of plants to add to the tank... should get them in the next week or two... I'll post new pictures when I get them...
post #39 of 80 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

figured I'd make a list of fauna and flora in the tank...

Flora
1 x Crypt Lucens
2 x anubias nana
2 x java fern
1 x Rotala Rotundifolia
1 x Green Bacopa (Thanks Jerrayy!)
Fauna
18 x Black Neon Tetras

Last edited by GoldenTetra; 10-29-2011 at 05:57 AM.
post #40 of 80 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 04:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
figured I'd make a list of fauna and flora in the tank...

Flora
1 x Crypt Lucens
2 x anubias nana
2 x java fern
1 x Rotala Rotundifolia
1 x mystery (pictured above) maybe Rotala indica? Not sure!

Fauna
18 x Black Neon Tetras
I would say either the Rotala indica, or a Bacopa of some sort, but I am no expert.

How are the black neons, by the way? I was thinking of a small school for my 10 gallon.

Cable's Madness
post #41 of 80 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

they school together beautifully, eat like savages and make good use of the tank... I really REALLY like them.
post #42 of 80 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 05:36 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
This plant in particular (if someone could ID it for me, I'd be grateful.. still don't know my plants other than anubias and java fern, and even then mistook an anubia for a calla lily hehe)
Green Bacopa
post #43 of 80 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 05:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
they school together beautifully, eat like savages and make good use of the tank... I really REALLY like them.
My LFS has some, and I think I want something besides guppies for my 10 gallon. I was thinking of these guys. Or just some neons.

Cable's Madness
post #44 of 80 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 05:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well, personally I wouldn't stock these guys in a 10 gallon unless they were the only fish.. you need a good size school... Like I would say bare minimum 6 fish.

and Jerray, you're right, that does seem to be it! Thanks!!
post #45 of 80 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 06:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Well, personally I wouldn't stock these guys in a 10 gallon unless they were the only fish.. you need a good size school... Like I would say bare minimum 6 fish.

and Jerray, you're right, that does seem to be it! Thanks!!
Yeah. The only other fish I am thinking of putting in there is a small pleco of some sort. Probably a BNP, and that would be it. I only have 2 guppies in the tank now, and I can move them to the 20 gallon once I get a heater.

Cable's Madness

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode