Lbacha's "Borneo Stream Biotope" terrarium (Lot of new pics 11/30) - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 398 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 02:18 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
Wouldn't it be cool to get something like a terraced rice paddy effect? Look at this picture.....

http://good-wallpapers.com/wall.php?...1680&ratio=1.6
Yes that is so cool!. If you made the terrace large enough maybe you could put shrimp in it. I know you wanted to do emersed but I think that would be awsome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 398 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 02:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

You could do some of the pools with lots of plants growing out of them and leave others with mostly open water.
post #18 of 398 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Wouldn't it be cool to get something like a terraced rice paddy effect? Look at this picture.....

http://good-wallpapers.com/wall.php?...1680&ratio=1.6
That was my original though but my issue is depth, I'm already going to have to figure out what to do with the background, I'm already considering a shallow height so I don't need to worry about to much background, since all my plants are essencially terrestrial I need to make the background look like rocks on the bank of a stream or something similiar, no matter what I do it will eat up some of the depth of the tank, I'm most likely going with an 18" deep tank so if I use up 3-6" for the background that only leaves me 12-15" for planting which down't leave much room for terraces here is an example of what I'm thinking.

post #19 of 398 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 03:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I knew you had caught it but not this bad, it looks like your are going to take it to the next level. I've seen the exo-terra used at our LFS and it was a very impressive set up the auto misting, etc. it just depends on what you put into it with ideas and imagination.

Good luck and I can't wait to see what you come up with!
post #20 of 398 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post
I knew you had caught it but not this bad, it looks like your are going to take it to the next level. I've seen the exo-terra used at our LFS and it was a very impressive set up the auto misting, etc. it just depends on what you put into it with ideas and imagination.

Good luck and I can't wait to see what you come up with!
I needed a good fall project, lol... My cube was my project earlier this year (built the stand from scratch).. I also have a dark corner in my livingroom that I need some plants in (only open spot in there without plants)

Len
post #21 of 398 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Well after some research last nigh I have decided I'm going to make it a Borneo biotope, this will help me limit what crypts to use (the list is still pretty long), I havn't decided if I want to include terrestrials but if I did there are some great nepenthes (pitcher plants), ferns as well as other harder to find Aridarum, Piptospatha (now Ooia), Schismatoglottis, Rhaphidophora & Homalomena. Most of these all grow close to the stream bed so they will work great for my concept terrarium, check out the thread below if you want to see my inspiration, I was planning on spending 2 weeks in thailand in march but I may have to take a few days and head to Borneo as well.

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ants-of-Borneo

Len
post #22 of 398 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 03:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Hey I would be veru interested to know if you have any luck digging up any of those other strange little aroids.

I have some rare & unusual palms that I recently ordered that include a couple of stream associates and I think that at least one of them is from Borneo.

I am also getting some Aglaonema minima with another order. Supposedly this one grows as a swamp-associated plant on Borneo. It is not a true underwater aquatic and they sell it in Europe (but not here much apparently) as a faux aquatic that dies underwater.
post #23 of 398 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Hey I would be veru interested to know if you have any luck digging up any of those other strange little aroids.

I have some rare & unusual palms that I recently ordered that include a couple of stream associates and I think that at least one of them is from Borneo.

I am also getting some Aglaonema minima with another order. Supposedly this one grows as a swamp-associated plant on Borneo. It is not a true underwater aquatic and they sell it in Europe (but not here much apparently) as a faux aquatic that dies underwater.
I'd be interested in seeing that, I'm planning on doing sandstone rocks, that seems to be the most common rock in the streams I'm seeing in the pics and I have access to a whole stream full of them (They are also easy to break into shapes). I like the moist rocky look with patches of moss and small little plants coming out of the cracks, I also think a patch or two od crypts half emmersed and half submersed will look neat as well, I have to figure out how to make the sloping clay bank so it will hold its shape but I'm getting excited about the idea.

Len
post #24 of 398 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 04:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

That sounds like a good concept. So are you going to ditch the foam structure in favor of natural materials to build up the shapes?

Check this out...

www.ifeanet.org/publicaciones/boletines/21(2)/415.pdf
post #25 of 398 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
That sounds like a good concept. So are you going to ditch the foam structure in favor of natural materials to build up the shapes?

Check this out...

www.ifeanet.org/publicaciones/boletines/21(2)/415.pdf
I'll have to open the link when I get home it won't open on my work computer, as for foam I still plan on using it as the base, I'm going to sandwich layers together and then carve it out, this is like bulding scenery for a model railroad, lol, I even have foam carving tools made specificly for this purpose. I'm thinking of only using real stone for the small islands that will have the bucephelandras on them.

Len
post #26 of 398 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 07:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

I cant wait to see what you will come up with. I might have to plagiarize some ideas from you later.

For your buce islands, are the plants going to make contact with the water? How do you intend on feeding them? Wabi-kusa type of mounds might be something to consider. A German (?) member from APC experimented them on a mound made of a filter sponge that had soil soaked in for nutrients.

My great grand parents were from Singapore. Once my child gets older, I want want to do some traveling in SG pay a visit to borneo as well.
post #27 of 398 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 07:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I've been loooking for a link but I can't find it, the guy made a tree stump with all the roots just like you'd see on the side of a river bank, he started with foam and carved it, then small diameter foam tube and it all got cover with concrete and painted, it was so good.

Hydrophyte does this ring a bell?
post #28 of 398 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 07:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I've been loooking for a link but I can't find it, the guy made a tree stump with all the roots just like you'd see on the side of a river bank, he started with foam and carved it, then small diameter foam tube and it all got cover with concrete and painted, it was so good.

Was this housing mud skippers?
post #29 of 398 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4roselines View Post
I cant wait to see what you will come up with. I might have to plagiarize some ideas from you later.

For your buce islands, are the plants going to make contact with the water? How do you intend on feeding them? Wabi-kusa type of mounds might be something to consider. A German (?) member from APC experimented them on a mound made of a filter sponge that had soil soaked in for nutrients.

My great grand parents were from Singapore. Once my child gets older, I want want to do some traveling in SG pay a visit to borneo as well.
That is a great question, I could fertilize the water so that the mosses and crypts get fed or I was thinking about maybe mounting them in crevices in the rock filled with soil, I really want the look of buces growing on bare rock like you see in alot of the pics so nutrient rich water may be the way I go, I'm probably going to put drip tubes above each clump of buces so that the islands are always wet, I may put them on timers havn't decided yet. Lots of things to work through in my head as far as the inner workings go, I always over engineer these because I have to make them go a week at a time without anyone being around. The good thing about slow growing is that they are probably slow at uptaking nutrients so I would only need a little soil or a light nutrient load in the water.

Len
post #30 of 398 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:

There is the one for the mudskippers but the one 150EH is talking about is from dendroboard (I can't remember the name) but it is sweet, unfortunatly those roots take up too much of the bottom of the tank so I'm going to stay away from that idea since I'm going with a stream bank them. I will brobably make a couple random roots creeping over the roots to add some visual breaks.

Len

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode