Miss My's 1st Iwagumi Journal: Mr. Aqua 12 Gallon Long *LAST UPDATED MAY. 1st* - Page 11 - The Planted Tank Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 373 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 11:29 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Milford, CT
Posts: 424
I think you're doing fine with the stones. You probably know this already, but CRS need some hardness in the water to grow healthy shells. If the water is too soft, they won't be able to breed.

“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw
Storm is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #152 of 373 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
ღ Miss ShrimpTastic! ஐ...
 
MsNemoShrimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: La Jolla, CA
Posts: 2,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm View Post
I think you're doing fine with the stones. You probably know this already, but CRS need some hardness in the water to grow healthy shells. If the water is too soft, they won't be able to breed.
Good morning! Thank you for confirming that however I think my kH is a bit too high or not really? ADA have just as high grades as mines and his bred perfectly fine in 4+ kH and 8+ gH. Another friend experienced the same so just crossing my fingers : )

PS: My bf just rescaped his 5.5G to make it a holding tank for all pregnant females if we ever get them going. kH there would be 0 and gH we aim for about 4-6

¸¸·´¯`·.¸¸. ...¤¸¸.·´¯`·..¸.·Miss My - I'm 23 - UCSD Graduate.....۩۩๑๑۩۞۩๑
MsNemoShrimp is offline  
post #153 of 373 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 01:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
diwu13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Willimantic, CT
Posts: 6,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoShrimp View Post
[/URL]
Is that moss growing up the back of your glass? Or some other plant? If it is moss how is it adhering to the glass o.O
diwu13 is offline  
post #154 of 373 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 01:58 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Milford, CT
Posts: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoShrimp View Post
Good morning! Thank you for confirming that however I think my kH is a bit too high or not really? ADA have just as high grades as mines and his bred perfectly fine in 4+ kH and 8+ gH. Another friend experienced the same so just crossing my fingers : )

PS: My bf just rescaped his 5.5G to make it a holding tank for all pregnant females if we ever get them going. kH there would be 0 and gH we aim for about 4-6
I'm not an expert - I think your thread in the inverts forum on CRS water parameters definitely helped me to understand a little more about breeding them. I have only a few CRS and have kept them for about 60 days without successful breeding, and I think it's because my water is too soft, only 1kh 1gh. I need to add calcium since my water is almost like RO right from the tap!

Anyway, I found this chart to be somewhat useful in my test kit:

http://www.americanaquariumproducts....structions.pdf

Look at the bottom right corner of the second page - it tells you the relationship between kh/gh and PPM of solids. I think your GH might be just a touch high - probably want to keep it around 4-6.

Good luck! I will definitely be following this journal to see your first babies.

“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw
Storm is offline  
post #155 of 373 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 04:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
jkan0228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Beaverton, Oregon
Posts: 5,485
So jealous of the SSS! They have a very nice solid white
jkan0228 is offline  
post #156 of 373 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
ღ Miss ShrimpTastic! ஐ...
 
MsNemoShrimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: La Jolla, CA
Posts: 2,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by diwu13 View Post
Is that moss growing up the back of your glass? Or some other plant? If it is moss how is it adhering to the glass o.O
I am not sure which part of the tank you are referring to, but none of the moss is growing on the wall. The only moss I have in the tank is christmas moss and thats on the mini tree in the center. The one on the right of that is mini pellia growing on a Seiryu stone : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm View Post
I'm not an expert - I think your thread in the inverts forum on CRS water parameters definitely helped me to understand a little more about breeding them. I have only a few CRS and have kept them for about 60 days without successful breeding, and I think it's because my water is too soft, only 1kh 1gh. I need to add calcium since my water is almost like RO right from the tap!

Anyway, I found this chart to be somewhat useful in my test kit:

http://www.americanaquariumproducts....structions.pdf

Look at the bottom right corner of the second page - it tells you the relationship between kh/gh and PPM of solids. I think your GH might be just a touch high - probably want to keep it around 4-6.

Good luck! I will definitely be following this journal to see your first babies.
Thank you for such great advice and info. You will certainly know when I get some mommy shrimps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkan0228 View Post
So jealous of the SSS! They have a very nice solid white
Thanks. I hope to get more of them as babies in the near future.

¸¸·´¯`·.¸¸. ...¤¸¸.·´¯`·..¸.·Miss My - I'm 23 - UCSD Graduate.....۩۩๑๑۩۞۩๑
MsNemoShrimp is offline  
post #157 of 373 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 02:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
diwu13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Willimantic, CT
Posts: 6,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoShrimp View Post
I am not sure which part of the tank you are referring to, but none of the moss is growing on the wall. The only moss I have in the tank is christmas moss and thats on the mini tree in the center. The one on the right of that is mini pellia growing on a Seiryu stone : )
The picture I linked that you posted on the left back of your tank. It looks like stringy moss growing up the back left of your tank.
diwu13 is offline  
post #158 of 373 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
ღ Miss ShrimpTastic! ஐ...
 
MsNemoShrimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: La Jolla, CA
Posts: 2,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by diwu13 View Post
The picture I linked that you posted on the left back of your tank. It looks like stringy moss growing up the back left of your tank.
The only type of moss I have in there right now is christmas moss

¸¸·´¯`·.¸¸. ...¤¸¸.·´¯`·..¸.·Miss My - I'm 23 - UCSD Graduate.....۩۩๑๑۩۞۩๑
MsNemoShrimp is offline  
post #159 of 373 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
ღ Miss ShrimpTastic! ஐ...
 
MsNemoShrimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: La Jolla, CA
Posts: 2,587
Talking Nov. 12 Update (Do you see what I see?)

It had only been 9 days!!!


¸¸·´¯`·.¸¸. ...¤¸¸.·´¯`·..¸.·Miss My - I'm 23 - UCSD Graduate.....۩۩๑๑۩۞۩๑
MsNemoShrimp is offline  
post #160 of 373 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 01:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
diwu13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Willimantic, CT
Posts: 6,169
Is that a berried female ?
diwu13 is offline  
post #161 of 373 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 04:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
jkan0228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Beaverton, Oregon
Posts: 5,485
jkan0228 is offline  
post #162 of 373 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
ღ Miss ShrimpTastic! ஐ...
 
MsNemoShrimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: La Jolla, CA
Posts: 2,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by diwu13 View Post
Is that a berried female ?
Uh huh uh huh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkan0228 View Post
Nice solid white.... Fat mama too!
Yes, very solid and very big mama. I cherrish them all so much

¸¸·´¯`·.¸¸. ...¤¸¸.·´¯`·..¸.·Miss My - I'm 23 - UCSD Graduate.....۩۩๑๑۩۞۩๑
MsNemoShrimp is offline  
post #163 of 373 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 05:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
diwu13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Willimantic, CT
Posts: 6,169
Congrats! Gonna move that mama over to the 5.5 gallon? How come on your BF's journal there's FISH in your breeding tank :O?
diwu13 is offline  
post #164 of 373 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
ღ Miss ShrimpTastic! ஐ...
 
MsNemoShrimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: La Jolla, CA
Posts: 2,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by diwu13 View Post
Congrats! Gonna move that mama over to the 5.5 gallon? How come on your BF's journal there's FISH in your breeding tank :O?
Thankie! Lol. About that, he removed the fishies last night so only a dozen + assassins left. Hope to get them sold by this weekend so I can move her over by the middle of next week so that we only have berried shrimps and perhaps some algae eating snails here and there in that tank

¸¸·´¯`·.¸¸. ...¤¸¸.·´¯`·..¸.·Miss My - I'm 23 - UCSD Graduate.....۩۩๑๑۩۞۩๑
MsNemoShrimp is offline  
post #165 of 373 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 08:08 PM
Planted Member
 
bryfox86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 284
that's so exciting!!! I cant wait! I am trying to get rid of plants so I can have a shrimpy Paradise! haha
bryfox86 is offline  
Reply

Tags
mr. aqua 12 gallon long, neoshrimp, plant journal, planted tank, rimless

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome