120 Gallon ADA "like", ditched, Dutch style new pics 137 - Page 55 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #811 of 2268 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
Bummer... but i suppose i can see why. U just have too many colors lol
I think with a white sand and cool moss background, and the lighting more designed for the fish, it would loo better. I did add some more double trunk elephant noses.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 2268 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 11:27 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post

Duct tape, that's how to stop CO2 loss froma wet/dry, look at the filter, you'll see it on the top lip. Now that section is just a giant CO2 reactor.
Hi Tom,
Can i check where did u locate your diffuser or reactor? In sump or main tank or inline?

Thanks
post #813 of 2268 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 01:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hock View Post
Hi Tom,
Can i check where did u locate your diffuser or reactor? In sump or main tank or inline?

Thanks
HE HAS NEITHER MUWAHAHAHAHA
his tubing goes to a needlewheel pump.. he has a 7up tank
post #814 of 2268 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 02:01 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
HE HAS NEITHER MUWAHAHAHAHA
his tubing goes to a needlewheel pump.. he has a 7up tank
Just finish reading all his post. Haha.
Got it. Thanks.
post #815 of 2268 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Update, did not clean the glass or wait for the water to clear, but....live with it.

I may move the Erios in the front.
Still pondering.

I replaced the Fissidens with Subwassertang for now, the Fissidens came in with hair algae and I'd hoped the shrimp would remove it, they keep it beaten back well, but.......
Some I placed the moss in an emergent terrarium type of set up and then it will go to a dark tank for a week or so. Subwassertang is weedy also, but has a nice color and texture, and no algae.

I might move the Erios to the Toninia lotus blossom on the Left side and then move the Tonina to where the larger Tonina is now (and get rid of the normal Tonina).
The new Erio Gioas will get good sized, roughly baseball size or larger. I have 6 now and a tiny plantlet. I'll thin out some Downoi and open that space up more next to the Subwassertang for the Erios.
The Ammannia is hit or miss with some of the the stems, some are recovering and adapting well, others are not. I'll cull the nicer tops and replant in a month or so. The L. pantanal did this also once it hit the surface of the water.

I might consider Ludwigia breviceps instead of the Ammannia and perhaps find a home for the Ammannia in the rear.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #816 of 2268 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 10:46 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwheeler91 View Post
I had cpds for a year or so, even bred and reared fry successfully. I think a combo of high temps(summer), and low ph(co2) did my adults in.

Thats wierd tom that they hid all the time, I had a dozen or so in a 20 hexagon tank, along with 6 pygmy cories, 5 espei, 16 b. Brigattae, crs, and trap door snails, very heavily planted and they were out all the time. it was verry cool because they all had their own niche in the tank. Maybe they need dither fish of a sort, something to make um feel more comfortable. You could do cpds with the rosy loaches that they cohabitate with in the wild.

I was always afraid of my dwarf loaches eating shrimp, thus my is shrimpless, maybe ill give it try.
I recently added a small school of glowlight tetras to a tank with CPDs that were always hiding. The CPDs immediately joined the glowlight school and now they're out all the time. They even come to the surface to feed. I think perhaps they feel comfortable with the glowlights because they are of similar color and size. Just my two cents.

The tank looks amazing by the way!!
post #817 of 2268 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 10:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

That looks absolutely fantastic. I WISH I could pull something like this off.
post #818 of 2268 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 11:20 PM
Algae Grower

Looks great!
post #819 of 2268 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 12:52 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Tom, the alternating colors are now starting to remind me of reef tanks with (seemingly) hundreds of different coral species!

You should prolly not show it to reef folks, that might encourage them to try planted tanks with their 600++ par lights hahahaha!

post #820 of 2268 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 01:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Good lord Tom. It is so refreshing to see something so different. This tank is Alice in Wonderland in all the right ways. I probably am not going to read through all 55 pages so I'd like to know how often and how much are you dosing iron to bring out all those colors? Additionally, is there something else to it?

Thx.
post #821 of 2268 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 02:13 AM
Returning. Videotapes.

Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz
This is probably what God's fish tank looks like in his living room. It's a little depressing because I consider myself to be a decent aquatic gardener, but I'll never make it to this level.

Thanks a lot, Tom!
post #822 of 2268 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by youjettisonme View Post
Good lord Tom. It is so refreshing to see something so different. This tank is Alice in Wonderland in all the right ways. I probably am not going to read through all 55 pages so I'd like to know how often and how much are you dosing iron to bring out all those colors? Additionally, is there something else to it?

Thx.
There is no trick to dosing, in fact, that's the least % of what it takes to keep a tank like this. CO2/light and then good consistent trimming and removal of leaves, water changes, just keeping things tidy and clean.

Since I have fire shrimp which breed real fast, I can sell those.
I also have a wide range of plants, many are rare and $$$.

So I can get paid if I work on the tank and that keeps me motivated.
After 15-20 years ot telling folks to stop fearing ferts, I guess I got little tired of it. This seems to make the point better.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #823 of 2268 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 05:32 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosey929 View Post
I recently added a small school of glowlight tetras to a tank with CPDs that were always hiding. The CPDs immediately joined the glowlight school and now they're out all the time. They even come to the surface to feed. I think perhaps they feel comfortable with the glowlights because they are of similar color and size. Just my two cents.

The tank looks amazing by the way!!
Thus, my hypothesis is gaining support.
post #824 of 2268 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 05:38 AM
Got dirt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
Update, did not clean the glass or wait for the water to clear, but....live with it.

I may move the Erios in the front.
Still pondering.

I replaced the Fissidens with Subwassertang for now, the Fissidens came in with hair algae and I'd hoped the shrimp would remove it, they keep it beaten back well, but.......
Some I placed the moss in an emergent terrarium type of set up and then it will go to a dark tank for a week or so. Subwassertang is weedy also, but has a nice color and texture, and no algae.

I might move the Erios to the Toninia lotus blossom on the Left side and then move the Tonina to where the larger Tonina is now (and get rid of the normal Tonina).
The new Erio Gioas will get good sized, roughly baseball size or larger. I have 6 now and a tiny plantlet. I'll thin out some Downoi and open that space up more next to the Subwassertang for the Erios.
The Ammannia is hit or miss with some of the the stems, some are recovering and adapting well, others are not. I'll cull the nicer tops and replant in a month or so. The L. pantanal did this also once it hit the surface of the water.

I might consider Ludwigia breviceps instead of the Ammannia and perhaps find a home for the Ammannia in the rear.
Good Lord Mr. Barr...this looks almost imaginary. Wow. If I saw something like this on the "interwebs" a few years ago I would swear it was a Photoshop trick.

Amazing man.
post #825 of 2268 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daximus View Post
Good Lord Mr. Barr...this looks almost imaginary. Wow. If I saw something like this on the "interwebs" a few years ago I would swear it was a Photoshop trick.

Amazing man.
Well, there are plenty of folks in the local club that have seen it......unless they are all in the lie.........

"Here, I'll give you free cuttings if you lie about it, okay? Deal?"

Regards,
Tom Barr

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode