last month i rehauled my 65 gal. I had been half-assedly trying to raise a few plants and decided to go full hog. the upgrades included:
- Replaced Penguin 330 w/ Eheim 2215 cannister.
- Upgraded to 4x 55w CF lighting (All-Glass)
- Placed crushed coral in filter to raise KH
- Started heavy DIY CO2 injection
I added a bunch of plants and this is how it's worked out over the last month:
i added the cobomba to the right, and the ludwigia on the front left. oriental swords and a madagascar lace are in the back left corner, vals in the back right, and a lotus out front. i started dosing fertilizers.
as you can see, the water's a little hazy here.
added some crypts. i had spent an hour trying to separate them from the rockwool. my hands were itchy and i was low on patience, so i just plunked them in. the water cleared but some algae appeared on the glass.
after a week or two, the ferts are working. the madagascar lace is shooting up a new leaf each day. i added some more crypts for this pic.
my fahaka puffer likes the extra plants. it gives him plenty of stuff to chew on!! ;D
ouch.... this is 5 days after the last picture, i'd been on vacation away from the tank and came home to this--all kinds of crazy algae i've never even seen before! brown, bristle, even what i think was BGA floating on the surface of the water. pruned and big water change, got dosing back on schedule.
currently i am still trying to get the algae back under control. that's what i get for taking time out of my newly established dosing schedule!
i'm not at all satisfied with the aquascape.
it's too "blocky" for my tastes...
i need another bag or two of eco-complete; the substrate is an inch shy of being deep enough.
suggestions from you talented lot are most welcome.