Shrimp Rescue Tanks (3) - Journal-ish Thing (56K!) - New Pics 1/18/12 - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 77 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

Thanks for your thoughts, everyone.

Red Sea Nanos, as mentioned above for filtration. They're pretty powerful and quiet for the $5 price point.

Really have limited tank space at home (woo condo life!) so I decided to stick with those 2.5gal tanks for the cherries. Will also likely use them to grow out some fry (Lime Green Endlers and smaller fish). At my office, though, I've got about 1,900gal of water in glass boxes. Could always take them there, I guess, but these aren't the highest quality color-wise and wouldn't want to mess up my breeding stock.

I'm sure, though, that I'll have to start giving these little guys away soon enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 77 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

Am quickly running out of room for shrimp at home (one will also house some Endler fry) and decided to go ahead and flood the tanks today. Figure the added bonus of full-scale EI dosing and CO2 will assist growth, as well.

Here's the HC, which wasn't quite filled in:

But it's already pearling after CO2 was introduced:

The UG looks great already:

And here's the glooso, prior to a big trim:

Added Tetra SafeStart to each, squeezed some sponge filter juice into the back of the Red Sea Nanos (filled with some AquaClear ceramic bits and two sponges) and dropped in some floaters from my main shrimp tank.

Am still on the hunt to find pure ammonia. If I can't, guess I'll go the slow way by just adding bits of fish food (HEAD - DESK) every day.

Here's hoping I can get these up to snuff within a couple weeks to start transferring critters.
post #33 of 77 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 12:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Good looking tanks, doing well
post #34 of 77 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

Thanks. I'm pretty excited about them. They're the tiniest I've ever scaped.
post #35 of 77 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 04:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Love the tanks man. I am quickly falling for the 2.5 gallon tanks and want to start another one. I cant wait to see all the shrimp running around them. Ar you going to use any moss at all?

The Fraternity of Dirt #39
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Cable's Madness
Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
post #36 of 77 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

Don't have any real plans for moss in these tanks, as I think it'd be tough to make them look nice.

But definitely in future tanks.
post #37 of 77 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

Guess it's time for another update. After a few serious algae outbreaks, things are back to normal and plant growth seems to be going swell.

(Ignore the lighting and coloration of these - took them with my iPhone and didn't bother looking at them on my Mac)

The UG, despite a bit of dust algae and the occasional bit of cyanobacteria seems to be doing the best:

Have been battling every kind of algae you can imagine with the HC but finally have the EI dosing down and the light period adjusted and things are cleaning up. A bit of Excel spot dosing has also helped:

The glosso tank? Hoo boy! I've trimmed it THREE times because of crazy growth and here it is again, jacked all the way up:

The tank has looked rather rough, thanks to CB, but is shaping up now that the glosso is literally turning into a weed.

Here's a look at the worms that exploded in the glosso tank:

Guess I'll need to get something to nix those bad boys, eh?

The glosso tank, using new Eco-Complete, seems to be cycling the fastest. We're, what, a week into this? And it's almost ready to go. The tank can eat 4-5PPM of ammonia in less than a day and nitrites are currently spiked at 5PPM. UG and HC are similar but they're about what I think is a day behind in the process.

Fingers are crossed that this beginning stage of tank life continues to go smoothly.

Ordered (woopsiedaisy!) a couple Fluval Ebi tanks to permanently house all the extra cherries so it looks like these tanks will become homes for Endler fry.

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 05-25-2013 at 02:24 PM. Reason: spelling
post #38 of 77 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 11:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

post #39 of 77 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 11:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Very nice tanks man. Makes me miss my HC carpet.

Cable's Madness
post #40 of 77 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 12:49 AM
Planted Member

What a great way to try all the foreground plants!

-Sean

Mini M
| 60-P | 45-F 1 | 45-F 2
post #41 of 77 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

The DSM has been over for a week or so and things are now growing in well post-flooding.

Hair Grass usually does grow into HC but it's such a small tank... it's, well, not much of a hassle to stick the long scissor in and snip snip. Even in the glosso tank that requires constant trimming, it's done in under a minute.

These are TINY tanks. Sponge filters just aren't an option. Even Fluval Edge pre-filters aren't going to cut it. Too large and obtrusive. Will be using black pantyhose to cover the filter intake.

Hydor Mini heaters, which I have in the tanks, are working out great. They're hovering at 82 with the lights on so I'm guessing I won't need to turn them on (after cycling, anyway) until the ambient room temperature starts to hit the 60s.

It's definitely a great way to try out foreground plants and I'm enjoying every minute of it. These tanks have actually helped motivate some fish nerd friends of mine to start planted tanks.
post #42 of 77 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 12:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
These tanks have actually helped motivate some fish nerd friends of mine to start planted tanks.
Always good to help spread the disease...... I mean, hobby. Yeah, hobby.

Cable's Madness
post #43 of 77 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

HA! Disease indeed.

Took one guy a whopping week to show up at my condo with an empty tank and some rock begging for scape assistance. Loaded him down with Eco-Complete, ferts, plants and other goodies and now he's probably hooked for life.
post #44 of 77 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 01:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
HA! Disease indeed.

Took one guy a whopping week to show up at my condo with an empty tank and some rock begging for scape assistance. Loaded him down with Eco-Complete, ferts, plants and other goodies and now he's probably hooked for life.
Lol. In the words of Freddie Mercury, "Another one bites the dust." Nothing wrong with helping a fellow patient, I mean, hobbyist out.

Cable's Madness
post #45 of 77 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

Think it's time for an update.

All three tanks have battled everything from hair algae (toothbrush really is your friend) to cyanobacteria over the past two weeks. All the gross worms are gone, algae is clearing up, everything has grown completely in, ferts & CO2 are on a roll, lighting is where I want it (really high), filters are going gangbusters.

These aren't great shots, as they're just snapped with my phone so I can provide a quick update.

Here's the UG, which has almost finished battling some gross brown dust that had it covered for almost two weeks:

The HC and dwarf hair grass are doing okay:

The glosso & hair grass tank looks kinda rough because it's just finished with some algae and gross worms… and I've had to trim it every other day (seriously):

We're at a point where each tank can process about 4ppm of Ammonia in under 24 hours and Nitrites are beginning to fall below 3-4PPM. Hoping to high you-know-what that the Nitrites continue to fall so I can start housing critters in these rigs in a week or so. But I'm not holding my breath.

All I know is they're tons of fun on the cheap.

Note: Located some Marina/Hagen heaters that are super-small for 2.5-3gal tanks a couple nights ago that maintain a steady temp at 77/78. Think I'm gonna replace those Hydor flat heaters that add 5degrees to the room temp as soon as the cycle is complete.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode