Shrimp Rescue Tanks (3) - Journal-ish Thing (56K!) - New Pics 1/18/12 - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 07:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

Very, very nice start. Great idea of growing the plants emersed first. The UG is starting to carpet nicely. Progress looks fantastic.

55 gallon Rainbowfish species/Harlequin rasboras community Dutch scape low-tech planted tank
60 gallon Bala shark low-tech planted tank
250 gallon Community Tiger Oscar/Red hook silver dollar/Silver dollars/BR Parrots/ PB Jack Dempsey/Clown loaches/Tinfoil barb/Roseline sharks/Barbs Monster fish tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

Thanks!

UG is definitely my all-time favorite. Looks gorgeous when in flowing water. Can't wait to see how it performs.
post #18 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

Guess it's update time!

Week three for the UG has been great. I'll be able to flood the tank for sure in another couple weeks:

It's developing a really strong root bed:

Week two was much better for the HC and DHG. HC no longer has gross mold/fungus (a bit of Excel misting did the trick) and I think it'll start to fill in nicely:

The glosso tank has also done well, as you can see:

It's grown like crazy with the dry start method, the hair grass has turned the corner, algae is starting to form on the rocks and at the edges of the Eco-Complete where there's too much moisture. Really excited for it to fill in over the next few weeks.

Still debating paintball vs. DIY champagne yeast and have all my equipment ready to go. Red Sea Nano filters w/Fluval sponges over the intakes, nano drop checkers from Nikki, Fluval nano thermometers, Hydor Mini heaters, adhesive black vinyl for the backs of the tanks. Will hopefully find some acrylic sheets I can cut into shape in the next few days. Gonna need something to cover these tanks for sure.

Hope you're enjoying my foray into itty bitty tanks. When things really start to grow in and I begin to flood, I'll pull out the DSLR and fancy lenses for sharing.
post #19 of 77 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 06:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

UG is a carnivorus plant..How does that work with Shrimp?

I have always wanted to try this plant, but that fact made me hesitate.

The Fraternity of Dirt #26
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low Tech
75 Dirted
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...d-upgrade.html
post #20 of 77 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 06:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

I've heard that too, I've also heard that it dies after a long while being submersed.
post #21 of 77 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

Google "utricularia graminifolia and shrimp" and you'll see it's never really a problem.

Traps are way too small for shrimp and shrimplets.

P.S. What you've "heard" isn't always based in fact or experience. I've heard a lot of things. For instance, I've "heard" that I can't keep shrimp without RO/DI water and that's clearly not the case.

Never had a problem with UG dry or wet. Have had some in separate tanks for 4-5 years at least with no issues beyond spreading.
post #22 of 77 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 02:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

What kind of filters did you end up with? You might be able to stuff your Hydor heaters into them and then not have to try to hide them inside the tank. This is what I've done in the Aquaclear Mini on my Edge... works just fine and it doesn't get nearly hot enough to damage the filter.

Keeper of plants, shrimp & oddball 'monsters'.
30gal X2 Journal | 'Ebiwagumi' EDGE
post #23 of 77 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

The tanks are far too small for any filter larger than the Red Sea Nano, so that's what I went with.

Mini Hydor heaters are so thin they're barely noticeable when placed on a black background. Have been pleasantly surprised by the way they look and think I may be able to hid them behind the filter intake for even less distraction.
post #24 of 77 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 05:25 PM
h4n
Planted Tank Guru

Looks good! I love that UG, i'm still complating on what I want for foreground in my 30g. Starting to lean towards UG now. thanks! haha got any more?
post #25 of 77 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

I'll have at least one farm (a 40B) of UG ready to sell in about a month, I think but nothing currently.

It's become my favorite plant for sure. I never should have listened to all the critics who said it was impossible.
post #26 of 77 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 05:51 PM
h4n
Planted Tank Guru

Cool, you must grown it ermersed first? Then it can grown submerged?
post #27 of 77 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

Yep. Spreads quickly when grown dry. The transition to the flooded tank is easy, too.
post #28 of 77 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

Tank update time!

UG is on week four and looking terrific:

The HC is coming along slowly. Looks like the largest rock is blocking some of the light so I'll need to get a larger clamp-style work lamp to deal with it:

May end up planting a bit more HC tomorrow to help with the bare spots.

And the glosso is out of control, totally taking over the dwarf hair grass:

The glosso is a lot taller than I expected it would be with the dry start. Hoping it trims up well once submerged.

All the elements for the tanks are here with the exception of some custom acrylic tops. Drop checkers, filters, thermometers, adhesive black vinyl, solar moon lights, diffusers, heaters, yadda yadda.

Don't want to but I think I'm going to give all three tanks at least one more week, maybe 2. Debating the timeline because I wonder if CO2 would help the HC grow in or if this dry start will do the trick. The UG needs no help so I'm not worried about it. And the glosso? Haha, well, I never thought I'd find something that would overtake DHG.

Thanks for checking in, folks.
post #29 of 77 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 03:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

post #30 of 77 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 03:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Looks good, all of them and Tropica likes the UG, I liked the idea of using the Excel for clean up, I've been dosing 1 ml to every 3 gallons in my tank to clean up a little water quality issue and it's working, but pricey. No matter it's already a high tech tank it still gave the plants a boost of growth.

If you need to send some of the rescues up here to Maryland I have lenty of room!

What are you going to use for filtration?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode