40 breeder plus 3 10 gallons (Advice Needed Please) - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2in10 View Post
Looks very nice so far.
Thanks! I'm going to fill them tomorrow before I add my substrate and start working on a scape. Will possibly update the thread tomorrow, but if not definitely on Tues.

Thanks for looking!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 01:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Update Brad?

40 Breeder Journal
Eheim Pimp Club - Member 468 (2 x 2217, 1 x 2213)
----
New Jersey? Nearby State? Join the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club!! Meetups, Swaps, Local Members to discuss your tank, issues, and accomplishments!
NJAGC Member since 11/2011
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Been busy and didn't get to do much. I thought everything was ok, but not so. I filled the 40 up with water and noticed it was way out of level. This is on a tile floor, that is over concrete and it used to be a garage years and years ago. So I didn't realize how uneven the floors were. So I removed all the tanks and shimmed the stand. This took me forever and I'm still not sure that it's right. It's completely level now all the way around, but I'm not sure my shim job is ok.I'll post some pics and maybe others can weigh in on it.

Also, the 40 gallon now touches the plywood top flush in all 4 corners, but there is still a slight gap in the center front and center of sides, but the corners are flush. I know the corners are what supports the tank, so I think I'm good, but unsure about it.

When I did a leak test, nothing budged on the stand or the tank and it was filled for over 24 hours. Just sort of nervous about it. I don't want to deal with leaks, cracks or anything like that.
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 05:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I like where this thread is going. You have my attention.

The Fraternity of Dirt #39
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Cable's Madness
Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy69846 View Post
I like where this thread is going. You have my attention.
I hope your not anticipating reading about a disaster from the tank busting or anything. lol

I'll try to get the pics of what I"m talking about and post them tonight or tomorrow. At this point I'm in no hurry to do anything. I guess you could say I'm a little frustrated. Plus all the money I was going to use to finish the project off will now go towards a hospital bill.
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 12:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradH View Post
I hope your not anticipating reading about a disaster from the tank busting or anything. lol

I'll try to get the pics of what I"m talking about and post them tonight or tomorrow. At this point I'm in no hurry to do anything. I guess you could say I'm a little frustrated. Plus all the money I was going to use to finish the project off will now go towards a hospital bill.
Lol. Not looking forward to a disaster. That is never good.

I think I know what you mean. I have noticed that with a lot of tanks only the corners touch until you get them filled, then the whole thing evens out. If there is a gap when filled, then I would worry, if there is not one, don't. If there is, you can always put a piece of foam under it to help distribute the weight.

Sorry to hear about the bill man. I hope it was nothing too serious.

Cable's Madness
post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Lol. Not looking forward to a disaster. That is never good.

I think I know what you mean. I have noticed that with a lot of tanks only the corners touch until you get them filled, then the whole thing evens out. If there is a gap when filled, then I would worry, if there is not one, don't. If there is, you can always put a piece of foam under it to help distribute the weight.

Sorry to hear about the bill man. I hope it was nothing too serious.
Well when I first put the tank on the stand it wobbled because the corners were not touching on opposite ends. So I shimmed the plywood that the tank sits on and fixed that problem. I used some pieces of formica that someone gave me. I filled it full of water and did a leak test. However, the tank doesn't sit flush in the center. It didn't budge when I filled it. In other words the trim doesn't touch the stand completely across the front, until it gets close to the corners. I ran out of the formica, so I can't shim it. But my debate is that most commercial stands don't support anything but the corners in the first place, The center piece of trim doesn't sit on anything, so I think I might be good. However, I'm not sure and I don't want to take a chance really. lol I have read mixed opinions on putting something under the tank, like foam.

As for the hospital bill.... It's not too much, but it's $2000.00 I don't have at the moment. But that's life right? lol

I'll post a picture of what I'm talking about with the stand tomorrow sometime.
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 01:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Well when I first put the tank on the stand it wobbled because the corners were not touching on opposite ends. So I shimmed the plywood that the tank sits on and fixed that problem. I used some pieces of formica that someone gave me. I filled it full of water and did a leak test. However, the tank doesn't sit flush in the center. It didn't budge when I filled it. In other words the trim doesn't touch the stand completely across the front, until it gets close to the corners. I ran out of the formica, so I can't shim it. But my debate is that most commercial stands don't support anything but the corners in the first place, The center piece of trim doesn't sit on anything, so I think I might be good. However, I'm not sure and I don't want to take a chance really. lol I have read mixed opinions on putting something under the tank, like foam.

As for the hospital bill.... It's not too much, but it's $2000.00 I don't have at the moment. But that's life right? lol

I'll post a picture of what I'm talking about with the stand tomorrow sometime.
That is true about some stands. I have smaller tanks than a 40b, so if mine do that I usually just leave it alone. Foam will just displace the weight. I haven't heard anything bad about that, but then again, I have only been in this for 2 years. If you fix it, let me know how. I am curious. Did you try taking a level to the trim? I am wondering if maybe it is warped or something.

And the hospital bill isn't too bad. It is still a ding, but not the end of the world at least.

Cable's Madness
post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I don't know. Some say foam is great and some say it's adding to a disaster waiting to happen. So I'm not sure. I did put a level on the trim. It's just some slight imperfections in the plywood. I've been helping someone all day and didn't get a chance to take any pics, but will do tomorrow. I'm also dealing with a shrimp disaster in my 10 gallon tank right now and that is my number one priority.
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here are some pics. Not very good I'll admit at showing the problem.

This first one shows the side view. As you can "hopefully" see in the pic. The stand is touching on the corners, but there is a gap between the trim and the plywood in the center between the corners.

Same thing in the front.

These next 2 pics show the bottom of the stand. Since the floor is uneven, I had to place wood shims under the stand to make it level. The shims are places just in the corners of the bottom under the 2x4's that run up the side of the stand. I'm not sure if this is sufficient or if you are supposed to create some kind of shim or shims that cover the entire bottom of the stand.

So to this post up. I'm concerned about the tank not being flush all the way, but my hope is that it will be ok since the corners are flush with the stand, and supposedly that is what supports a tank.

Also concerned about the stand itself being supported right since I had to add shims.

Any input or advice is greatly appreciated.
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 09:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I would say the tanks will be fine. I would, however, add some shims across the front of the stand itself. Over time it could start to sag in that area.

Cable's Madness
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I would say the tanks will be fine. I would, however, add some shims across the front of the stand itself. Over time it could start to sag in that area.
Thanks for the input. The 10 gallons are fine. That top 40 gallon still scares me though. lol
As for the stand I was thinking that. It's going to be a pain to cut the shims, because I don't have the tools and having to rely on someone sucks. So it might be a while.
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 12:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Thanks for the input. The 10 gallons are fine. That top 40 gallon still scares me though. lol
As for the stand I was thinking that. It's going to be a pain to cut the shims, because I don't have the tools and having to rely on someone sucks. So it might be a while.
No problem man. As far as the shims, you can put them under the stand and just break them off. Just put your foot on the stand and hold it down. That's how the professionals do it. Lol.

Cable's Madness
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
No problem man. As far as the shims, you can put them under the stand and just break them off. Just put your foot on the stand and hold it down. That's how the professionals do it. Lol.
LOL! The only problem is that the stand is actually enough off of the floor that standard wood shims aren't enough to fill the gap. I have to make them myself. Unless I can find some bigger shims.
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 01:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
LOL! The only problem is that the stand is actually enough off of the floor that standard wood shims aren't enough to fill the gap. I have to make them myself. Unless I can find some bigger shims.
Got ya. Lol. Now I am out of ideas.

Wait, no I am not. Lol. Just double up the shims. It should still work the same way.

Cable's Madness

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode