6.6 gallon bookshelf nano ( First ever attempted aquascape!! Advice needed!!!!! 56k) - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 140 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 03:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

That's a cool job! I'm going to hold off on fish since I have 14+ coming. Don't want to pull what I did last time and get another nitrite spike. Hmm I don't have heaters in any of my tanks, wouldn't know what to do in case of an infection. I do have aquarium salt, melafix, and stress coat.

Pics of the crypts? All I have is a Petco crypt, and a few from an RAOK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 140 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenxes View Post
That's a cool job! I'm going to hold off on fish since I have 14+ coming. Don't want to pull what I did last time and get another nitrite spike. Hmm I don't have heaters in any of my tanks, wouldn't know what to do in case of an infection. I do have aquarium salt, melafix, and stress coat.

Pics of the crypts? All I have is a Petco crypt, and a few from an RAOK.
It is cool... lots of fun.
Frustrating sometimes but fun. Weve been having lots of problems with our fireworks display.
Thats a good idea. I'm guilty of stocking to quickly.
Or stocking incorrectly.
I love my cories in this tank. But I regret buying them.
I want to upgrade tank size and provide them a bigger home.
I also want a school of pygmy cories.
Hoping to get a 25+ gallon cube for the cories and tetra's, as well as some german blue rams. And replace them in the six gallon with either pygmaeus or hastatus if I can find them.

I bought my third CPD... which is labeled as galaxy rasbora at my LFS...
It looks like its in great shape.
I'm not sure how many I want in my final stocking.
I think I might want at least 2 more.
We will see.
He just went through a salt dip.
He didnt have any sign of disease, but the tank he came from had an ich outbreak. Better safe than sorry.

Buy a heater just in case? They are good to have for a disease outbreak.
Get a cheap one on sale. But make sure you can dial up the temp. Aqueon is a good one for that. So does fluval.
It wouldnt hurt to have one in case of emergency..
I try to avoid medicines if possible. I've seen them kill as many fish as they have saved.

My crypts are from petco!!
And a few other sources.
I'm running out of space to post pictures...
Wait till I rescape it!! I'm buying the sand tomorrow, and am on the hunt for the right driftwood.
I'll post a pic then!
post #33 of 140 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 11:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Found a new LFS today, had $1.5 otos and $1.6 neon tetras. Neons wouldn't fit in with any of my tanks. They're just too colorful / shiny to look natural, maybe in a tank with densely planted red & green plants. I think a pair of CPD is enough, you should stock slow, wait a week or two, then see. Didn't find any CPDs, but almost got a pair of lyretail guppies today to be my centerpiece, they were beautiful.

How much fauna do you have in each of your tanks? I think I may have ordered too much fish.

If I put everything in my 20g I'll have: 6 pygmy, 8 habrosus, 6 otos, 3 adult platies + 16 fry, ~14 RCS with babies on the way, too many snails. That's overstocked right?

I could move the 6 otos to the 9g, and the 6 pygmies to the 5g, but I don't know... I read a 5g was small but they're doing fine in yours (even laying eggs)?
post #34 of 140 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Found a new LFS today, had $1.5 otos and $1.6 neon tetras. Neons wouldn't fit in with any of my tanks. They're just too colorful / shiny to look natural, maybe in a tank with densely planted red & green plants. I think a pair of CPD is enough, you should stock slow, wait a week or two, then see. Didn't find any CPDs, but almost got a pair of lyretail guppies today to be my centerpiece, they were beautiful.

How much fauna do you have in each of your tanks? I think I may have ordered too much fish.

If I put everything in my 20g I'll have: 6 pygmy, 8 habrosus, 6 otos, 3 adult platies + 16 fry, ~14 RCS with babies on the way, too many snails. That's overstocked right?

I could move the 6 otos to the 9g, and the 6 pygmies to the 5g, but I don't know... I read a 5g was small but they're doing fine in yours (even laying eggs)?
I had guppies... It didnt end well..
Fish stores are expensive near you...
Neons and oto's are both 99 cents near me.
I'm not sure CPD make great centerpieces for such a large tank. They are the size of a neon at best... What about a pair of german blue rams?
I would be living vicariously through your tank. I've always wanted a pair.
No eggs right now, but I have a waterchange coming up... Well...
Most of the aquarium world doesnt like nano's.
Alot of people are of the mind that anything under 10 gallons is unfit for fish.
Honestly.. would they like more space?
Yes.. All fish would...
But seriously.. They are fine in a 5 gallon. I dare say perfect for a 5 gallon. If you look on my Hate Tank you can see them sometimes.
They often appear as little stripes.
There is two in the right corner, and one in the back right against the wall in this picture. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/at...1&d=1328075974
Thats them full grown.
Not only are they spawning but I dare say they are thriving.
Just my personal opinion though.

My LFS has some nice fish in right now.
And I finally found an employee that is willing to work with me and knows what hes talking about.
I was looking at the Threadfin Rainbows he has. They are stunning.
He had some really dark cherries as well. Almost a deep wine colour.
Not solid like the high grades, but a nice colour.
I was considering getting some for this tank as part of a clean up crew. A nice pop of colour.

Well... I lean towards the overstocked side.
My water test perfect, and everyone is healthy and active and happy.
So I don't really consider my tanks overstocked.
Theres ample room to roam and wander.
Alot of people would consider my tank stocked with just my two sparkling gourami's. So having the cories in there as well. And adding other fish, would be way overstocked to them.
Overstocked is pretty relative.

In my tanks I have,
2 red lip nerites
1 ramshorn
9 Habrosus
2 Sparkling gourami's

4 gallon
1 zebra nerite
1 ramshorn
1 Betta
8 Adult Blue Pearl Shrimp
Unknown number of Shrimp babies.
3 Ghost shrimp

6.6 gallon
1 ramshorn
1 zebra nerite
1 oto cat
3 celestial danios
5 leopard cories
5 pygmaeus cories.

1 gallon
2 baby horned nerites
8 yellow shrimp

45 gallon tub pond
1 oranda goldfish
1 ryukin goldfish

I want to get the leopard cories out and either move the pygmaeus with them (only if I find hastatus), or bump their school numbers up (more likely).
The leopard cories were a newbie stocking mistake.
This thing has a GIANT footprint.
Its the same footprint as my friends 20 gallon.
Its just really shallow.
With substrate in, its probably 6 - 7 inches from the sand to the surface of the water.
Great for cories.
The final stocking of this tank is still a mystery to me,
Eventually I would like 5 CPD and 11 - 13 pygmy cories. After that I might be satisfied I might want more. Who knows.
Entertaining the idea of a few cherry shrimp as well...
Well to me the tank you plan isnt overstocked at all.
As long as you don't keep the fry in there to adulthood.

My main concern would be if the oto's have enough to eat.
But you could always supplement their diet.
I know they like groups of six or more. But I always get weird oto's. They hate being near one another. And if I try and introduce more they become pale and skinny and hide all the time.
If I remove them or they die.
The oto is dark and active and happy and fat. Its strange, but happens with every single one I buy. So I normally keep them singularly or in small numbers.
post #35 of 140 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 03:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Thx that makes me feel more confident, I know I'll have to take some platies out, they're huge and poop so much. I moved 4 fry to the 9g already, but I don't think it can sustain them and shrimp, the filter is very weak. The 5g has better filtration and the same footprint (just 1/2 as tall).

Lol, those were the cheapest otos and neons I've seen. Regular are $2.59 and $3.

Read some conflicting things about CPDs, some say they should be kept in 5+, others say the males spar with each other and you should only have 1 male and while they're good to keep in a group they're not a true schooling species. I would really keep it at 3 now and see.

The 6.6g is 24" long, so I think you have more leeway with dwarf cories. Leopards go up to 2" though, but pygmaeus are perfect. You're overfiltering it?

Your pond is understocked no? Can you move your leopards in there? Guess you would never see them though. Is the pond planted? You should do a journal for it
post #36 of 140 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Thx that makes me feel more confident, I know I'll have to take some platies out, they're huge and poop so much. I moved 4 fry to the 9g already, but I don't think it can sustain them and shrimp, the filter is very weak. The 5g has better filtration and the same footprint (just 1/2 as tall).

Lol, those were the cheapest otos and neons I've seen. Regular are $2.59 and $3.

Read some conflicting things about CPDs, some say they should be kept in 5+, others say the males spar with each other and you should only have 1 male and while they're good to keep in a group they're not a true schooling species. I would really keep it at 3 now and see.

The 6.6g is 24" long, so I think you have more leeway with dwarf cories. Leopards go up to 2" though, but pygmaeus are perfect. You're overfiltering it?

Your pond is understocked no? Can you move your leopards in there? Guess you would never see them though. Is the pond planted? You should do a journal for it
Are you going to try and sell them? you could simply use it as a grow out tank.
My LFS takes in fish for store credit.

Theres always conflicting info in the internet. Makes it hard to research.
From what I've seen. They aren't schooling.. But they do like company.
I see them. They are sort of like my sparkling gourami's. They play chase for a couple seconds, then circle one another for a few more second. Then they do a sort of sparing thing. But they don't actually hurt one another.
Its more... This is where I am.. Know that..
I dont know..
They do not actually nip or tear at anything though.
Sort of looks more like playing than fighting.

I can also tell that they like company.
I don't think keeping them in small groups or singularly would be detrimental. But I can still they they do enjoy the company of one another.
They swim together and eat together and hang out in a little group all over my tank.
I don't know... Two more doesnt sound too bad.
I'm gonna wait at least a week though. Give my filter time to catch up.
See how they behave once they have been in for a little while.

Besides I'm treating one of them right now for finrot and I only like to treat one fish at a time. Or I start to get overwhelmed. I will treat all of them at once if I have to.
But I do try and buy fish one at a time and treat them individually.
I felt ok with the cories from Msjninkzd and gourami BobsTropical because they quarantine before they sell...
Hes the one that had the ich spot.
After the spot fell off in the salt treatment it became evident that he had the beginning stages of finrot.
All over his back fin and a little on his right pectoral.
The salt treatment helped alot but I'm still working on it.
His pectoral is all better but his tail fin is basically gone. He has the lower 1/3 of it left.
The fin rot itself looks to be just about gone. Now for the actual healing to start on it. Hoping it regrows. The lack of one doesnt seem to affect him at all. But still... Not having a fin is pretty sad.

I have alot of leeway with the dwarf cories and other smaller species.
The leopard cories are in too small of a tank though.
I really want them out.
But I love them so and arent willing to sell them.
I'm looking for a cube, or a deep tank.
Like really deep.
Hopefully cheap as well.
I want it to be at least 20 gallons. To house a pair of german blue rams, and the leopard cories. Possible some other species as well..
Not sure..
But I can't seem to find anything.

My 5.5 and 6.6 have Aquaclear 20's on them. Which is more than enough filter to keep up with my stocking levels.
And they both have a prefilter sponge over the intake.
Which IMO add a huge layer of mechanical and biological filtration in my tanks.

Actually my pond is overstocked.
30 gallons per fancy goldfish. Honestly more like 50 if you want them to reach full potential.
And the one I have is only 45 gallons.

However they are just babies. Maybe the size of... my palm.
They don't fill my hand, but do fill my palm, excluding fins.
It is planted, but I'm waiting for it to start filling in before posting pics. I have a water lilly growing in there and am waiting for it to reach the surface and start flowering.
I did start a journal though.
Captain Harlocks Chest of Eden.
Havent linked it because theres no photos or anything.
Plus I thought it was a 30 gallon tub, but it was a 21 gallon tub. And I could tell it was too small for the lily. And I was going to upgrade it.
I just re did it and upgraded to a 45 gallon tub.

I'm actually going to start construction on a 700 gallon pond sometime this spring or summer. And am going to eventually transfer over these two to that pond. And eventually add in 10 more to the 700 gallon.

My oranda is Captain Harlock. As he only has one eye.
I did consider putting the cories in there though. Since the goldfish are so small it really wouldnt hurt the waterfall filter I have set up.
But even with the heater in there its just enough to stave off the cold.
Since the goldies were so small when I got them I put in a heater to keep them a little warmer while they built up fat reserves.
Since upgrading, on high, its enough to just barely keep the temp in the 60's.
Pretty soon though the water should warm up nicely and stay warm. I could keep them in there once that happens. Bump my pygmaeus school up. And work on getting them a bigger tank before Fall...
post #37 of 140 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 10:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Hope they recover, I put my male & female betta together to spawn (newbie inclination), he tore her fins and she soon had fin rot (when I forgot to change the water in her medicine-vase for 1 day!). Salt + melafix + stress coat worked and it grew back. You just have to keep the water pristine unless there's a filter in your qt. Or just take them out for dips.

Those cories don't need something deep? Get a 20 long from Petco when it's on sale ($20), that's where I got mine during the $1/gal sale.

Really about the pond? How big are those goldfish!? Lol about the 1-eye and the name.
post #38 of 140 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Hope they recover, I put my male & female betta together to spawn (newbie inclination), he tore her fins and she soon had fin rot (when I forgot to change the water in her medicine-vase for 1 day!). Salt + melafix + stress coat worked and it grew back. You just have to keep the water pristine unless there's a filter in your qt. Or just take them out for dips.

Those cories don't need something deep? Get a 20 long from Petco when it's on sale ($20), that's where I got mine during the $1/gal sale.

Really about the pond? How big are those goldfish!? Lol about the 1-eye and the name.
By deep I mean from back to front. Not from bottom to top.
Like cubes are deep.
I love all that depth in those tanks. Like the marineland 27 gallon cube, or the marineland 56 gallon column.
I love newbie breeding mistakes. Live and learn I say....

I hope it grows back....
post #39 of 140 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 02:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Why wide tanks, if they swim towards the back you can't see them as well lol. I guess it would add more dimension though, deep and wide = probably better for sloping scapes. All my tanks are flat

Don't really have any close LFS besides Petsmart/Co. I don't think even any of the custom-owned ones purchase, I'd be happy giving them away, but no one wants plain/weird looking platies (aren't all pandas, had mutts). They're still 0.2-0.5" so I have a month or two to figure it out.

I keep purchasing plants, I think I have every type of nano floater available now? (frogbits+salvinia minima+duckweed+rrf+dwarf lettuce), and got regular water lettuce. Just waiting for some leafy reds and dwarf crypts to get here then I'm stopping, lol. I can probably put together a sandwich bag of frogbits now if you still want them (others are more slow-growing)

I just need more shrimp, no baby shrimps anywhere (blue rili-berried missing again for days--this time I think I really did squish it while moving my moss tree). One platy fry got stuck behind the moss wall but I found it in time.
post #40 of 140 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Why wide tanks, if they swim towards the back you can't see them as well lol. I guess it would add more dimension though, deep and wide = probably better for sloping scapes. All my tanks are flat

Don't really have any close LFS besides Petsmart/Co. I don't think even any of the custom-owned ones purchase, I'd be happy giving them away, but no one wants plain/weird looking platies (aren't all pandas, had mutts). They're still 0.2-0.5" so I have a month or two to figure it out.

I keep purchasing plants, I think I have every type of nano floater available now? (frogbits+salvinia minima+duckweed+rrf+dwarf lettuce), and got regular water lettuce. Just waiting for some leafy reds and dwarf crypts to get here then I'm stopping, lol. I can probably put together a sandwich bag of frogbits now if you still want them (others are more slow-growing)

I just need more shrimp, no baby shrimps anywhere (blue rili-berried missing again for days--this time I think I really did squish it while moving my moss tree). One platy fry got stuck behind the moss wall but I found it in time.
I don't know, I love the depth. I just do...
I slope all my tanks.. Which is interesting with a soil substrate.
And cubes and tanks with lots of depth are so appealing... Looking for a cheaper one.
This is one of two stores besides PetSmart and Petco that sells freshwater. And the other one specializes in Aggressive fish and mainly saltwater. This one didn't start getting anything interesting in till around 3 months ago. They installed a whole new row of tanks, and a huge tank in the back dedicated to plants.
But it was always something I couldnt own.
Like zebra plecos. or hillstream loaches, and leaf fish.
They were all cool but I didn't have room for any of them.
Their plants were always anubias, hornwort, red ludwigia. All things I had and got from petsmart.
Sometime very recently they set up a whole new row of tank dedicated to invertebrates, plants, and nano fish.
Really gettign happy with it now.
They sell questionable things though.
Like Gars, and lynx kittens...

I just got some frogbit and salvinia, But the Dwarf water lettuce would be wonderful when you get more.

If your looking for a specific plant or fish at any point let me know.
I can check round here for you... Whats dwarf crypt?
Do you see shrimplettes?
OR is she just missing.
Some of my shrimp go missing for days...
post #41 of 140 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 03:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

It's a smaller crypt, http://www.aquahobby.com/garden/e_cwillisii.php (C. Willisi)

Don't see shrimplets she has nowhere to hide though, unless she overturned a giant rock. I want to start a bucket outside just to breed shrimp, throw in some soil, hornwort, etc... never have enough. Please post a pic of your container pond, I may just buy a tupperware thing, but can they hold water?
post #42 of 140 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
It's a smaller crypt, http://www.aquahobby.com/garden/e_cwillisii.php (C. Willisi)

Don't see shrimplets she has nowhere to hide though, unless she overturned a giant rock. I want to start a bucket outside just to breed shrimp, throw in some soil, hornwort, etc... never have enough. Please post a pic of your container pond, I may just buy a tupperware thing, but can they hold water?
I think I just bought that. It was an unnamed crypt from petco...

They sure can. Depending on the plastic you might have to support it.
With this one I took two wooden boards and attached them together on either side for extra support.
On top of that I surrounded it with a layer of clay, to both insulate and support the container.
Not to mention that I can plant the outside with pretty stones and flowers and herbs...
I'll post a pic once the sun is up.
post #43 of 140 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 03:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

It's a slow growing crypt but after a year it can look like

I can't do rocks and things given that it's on a balcony, and I have no power tools, so it would just have to be the container supporting the weight, maybe some textured foam pieces to look good. Lol I could use my huge water cooler, but the better half would not let me use something we put food in for camping for shrimp.
post #44 of 140 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
It's a slow growing crypt but after a year it can look like

I can't do rocks and things given that it's on a balcony, and I have no power tools, so it would just have to be the container supporting the weight, maybe some textured foam pieces to look good. Lol I could use my huge water cooler, but the better half would not let me use something we put food in for camping for shrimp.
Awesome!!
Thats totally what I have!!!
Awesome!!
Now If only I could find the identities of my two other crypts.

Well honestly I went with a much flimsier container than I planned. I went for one with more gallons/space.
At Homedepot the have one with rigid rigid plastic that I'm sure could hold water with no support...
Ahaha... My better half would just be sitting there.. Stuttering.
"what about the beer?"
post #45 of 140 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

An update

It seems that despite my many many many disease free experiences with this fish store, that this will not be one.
With my goal being 5 I decided to go out and purchase two more. Knowing full well that they would most likely come in with something or the other.
Oddly I am not worried about my cories. They have survived extreme temps, fluctuations, water parameters going crazy, newbie mistakes, and seem oddly disease resistant despite several outbreaks.

I got home, I have made it procedure with these fish to give them a salt dip before introduction.
I know I really should quarantine them. But I sort of have a only the strong will survive attitude with my tanks. My quarantine tank is more for individual cases or outbreak in my tank.
Not for adding them in.
I dipped them and added them into my tank. Everyone was doing well.
I had three that were concerning me.
The one with fin rot.
One with a small split in the tail.
And one with a discoloured patch on his back.
I captured them and prepared a salt dip, and a maracyn bath.
I placed them in the bath for 30 minutes to which they responded well..
And a salt dip, to which they responded well.
I added them back into the tank and did a 25% water change. Trying to keep it sparkly clean and all, what with all the healing going on.

I then took a nap with my cats.
I awoke to find that someone, I suspect Toki, had unplugged my heater. The water had gone from 86 to 64.
I turned it back on and checked on my fish.
My cories were unaffected as usual.
My oto was in the back, pale, but unharmed, and my CPD's seemed to be doing fine.

I inspected further and could only count 3.
The one with fin rot didn't take the sudden temp drop well. He was already dead.
And one more was on its side gasping. The one with a split in its tail
That one died a few minutes later. It's entire side and stomach had turned white.

The remaining three seem to be doing well.
One does have a discoloured patch on its back.
Since they are fairly new, and went through handling and stress from the bath and dip I have yet to figure out what the patch it.
So far it looks to be columnaris, but I am hoping he is just discoloured from all the stress of todays events. If it is gone tomorrow I have no more plans to treat any of them.
But only if the patch is gone by tomorrow morning. If it is still there I will try and get a definite diagnosis and treat accordingly.
Seeing as the other two are showing no signs of sickness I plan to just run high temp with a little salt as a preventative course of action.
I also plan on getting two more.
I have no money right now so I am not sure how I plan on doing that.
But I do plan on it.
Hopefully the next two will be disease free and happy.
Or have something simple to cure.. Like ich.
I am really really hoping that that one CPD is only pale from stress, and not infected with columnaris. Really Really hoping.

To be terrible honest fish diseases really really really really really really freak me out.
Dropsy being the worst. And I generally don't do much beyond basic care.
If the disease is to advanced, or freaks me out too much, or the fish is really replacable, I will just euthanize and replace it.
Still mulling over what I will do if it is in fact something other than discolouration.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode