6.6 gallon bookshelf nano ( First ever attempted aquascape!! Advice needed!!!!! 56k) - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty26 View Post
i think you should keep the rock there, it looks awesome there. Good contrast of colors
Lol... I totally wish I had seen this before I took it out and smashed it to bits.
I replaced the rock with creeping jenny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Everything just went through a giant trim. Now that all my plants are in I wanna start training them into shape. So now there are all very short.
Now that I have all the plant in place I;m starting to realise what I need and want.
Now that the rock is gone theres a huge problem. theres too much green.. Too much plant... I need a hardscape. I'm thinking of incorporating driftwood and rocks somehow. Still working it out.

I have a problem with my tank. It has fine white caribsea sand. And fine silica sand and aquaclear do not like one another. It continuously gets sand stuck in the impeller and makes a horrible noise. I invested in a intake sponge but they do not make one fine enough to keep out the sand. It did help though.
I think part of the problem is that the intake is right next to the substrate. I might mod it so it is higher sometime soon.

Other than that everythig is going great with this tank.
Oh
except for my evil guppy.
Petsmart gave me a tiny little baby guppy by accident with my ghost shrimp. During that time my 3 male guppies lived in harmony. As he grew he got aggressive. He harasses my poor male guppy all day and I'm just about done with him. I want him out and have no where to rehome him to.
He has ripped him to shred though... I'm considering just putting him in jar till I locate a new home..
post #18 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 08:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

any updated pictures? I liked the rock in the beginning but i'd love to see what you've done with the creeping jenny. what would've been nice is if you kept that rock and then added rocks decreasing in size beside the main rock creating a triangular composition. Then for depth you could add driftwood of the same pattern, big getting smaller and smaller to a focal point at about 2/3rds of the tank branching out from behind the rocks. This alongside the great green you have would make a pretty good looking scape IMO
post #19 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Mko. View Post
any updated pictures? I liked the rock in the beginning but i'd love to see what you've done with the creeping jenny. what would've been nice is if you kept that rock and then added rocks decreasing in size beside the main rock creating a triangular composition. Then for depth you could add driftwood of the same pattern, big getting smaller and smaller to a focal point at about 2/3rds of the tank branching out from behind the rocks. This alongside the great green you have would make a pretty good looking scape IMO
That rock was alot more cumbersome and off putting in real life. But i realise its purpose now. It broke up my scape. Now that I have replaced it with creeping jenny I realise the need for a hardscape.
The tank doesnt look that great right now lol.. The creeping jenny is getting established and everything else looks strange cause of my trim. All short and flat.
Perhaps in a couple weeks I'll take another picture... Once everything looks pretty again lol... I really am trying hard to make this tank look alot bigger than 6 gallons.. but I don't think its going well... lol
I'm gonna collect driftwood and rocks soon to see If I cant save this thing.

I have a question for you. I noticed in your rasbora's edge you had alot of nano fish.
I really want a school (it doesnt have to be tight) of nano fish for my 5.5 gallon. I was looking at the ones you just added into your tank, I have been debating them for a while now. Would you recommend them?
post #20 of 140 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I did a large waterchange last week. Everything went downhill form there. I noticed my fish were a little lethargic afterwards. No one was acting funny and there were no signs of anything wrong. But something just felt off the whole week.
but everythign went wrong in the past day.
Last night I fed everyone.. watched them for a while.. Turned off the light and went to bed...
I woke up and went about my day. I've been busy for the past couple days.. I came home and turned on the lights. I run my lights at night. If I run them during the day my fish would cook in the summer.
Anyway... I turned on my lights and saw my new beautiful baby guppy with a horrid case of fin rot that had not been there the day before. I spend alot of time watching his tail before I go to bed and would have noticed.
He was sadly dragging himself across the sand. I was horrified. I looked over and saw my nerite upside down in the sand with itself tightly clamped close. I glance up and saw that my other two guppies were covered in ich. It was then I saw all my cories with red gills sat in the corner gasping and all their top fins clamped down.
My last test kit ran dry and honestly. A proper heater and filter for my other tank came before buying a new one. I also do not have a spare tank lying around.
I quickly called my friend. She drove over with a spare 2.5 gallon a heater and a test kit.
We set it up and quickly started the guppies on salt and heat in the 2.5. I added some medicine in for the one with fin rot and planted it with spare trimming I had lying around.
I put one of my tetra filters on and put some spare media in it.
Unfortunately my baby guppy died soon after. He has his own flower now.
The other two are doing well so far. The blue one (Hades) has his fins clamped and is swimming a little upwards. But otherwise appears fine.
I turned up the heat on my main tank. This tank stays at about 80 as it is.
I know cories are supposed to be intolerant of high temps but these cories lived in 86+ for at least 5 months. Thats just how hot my room gets. And they had a blast all summer. In fact they seem to do better in higher temps than lower. The tank is at 86 now.
Now... My cories had no sign of rot or stress or ich. The only thing was the clamped fin and red gills. So I'm hoping the high temp for a few weeks is enough to stave off the ich till It dies.
I tested the water. Now.. my tap water pH is 8.2. Once my tanks have been running for a while the water stays at about 7.5. For some reason the water in that tank was 6.0.. Possibly below.
I tested my water with her kit right before and after my waterchange last week. And everything was normal. I fed my fish the first two day. I noticed that my main guppy was quite fat (my cories are slow eaters and he gets to their food so fast). So I decided a break was in order. I did not feed them at all since them. In fact lastnight is the first night they have been fed. So I was surprised at the readings. The ammonia ws 8.0, the nitrites were at 2.0, and the nitrates were at 80. That combined with the super low pH worried me deeply.
I did a large water change and my cores are acting much better. Their gills are normal and everyone is acting fine. The fins stayed down for a while but are now all up like sails except one. The levels are much better. Still off of normal but much better.

My problem is I have no idea what could have caused this. And I need to know so that It wont happen again. It is deeply disturbing to me.
As I write this I realise a horrible mistake I made...
I immediately transferred my nerite and ramshorn to my 5.5. They recovered and are crawling around the tank now. But I did not even dip them in cup of water before throwing them in my tank. I hope I did not just transfer Ich to my new tank.

Oddly my otto's are the only ones that seem to be completely unaffected by any of this.
post #21 of 140 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 04:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

Good to hear that everything was sorted out.

Any updates to the tank?

Currently out of the hobby
Forum lurking every now and then
post #22 of 140 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Gosh...
All the guppies and an oto died...
The cories have been spawning like crazy for the past few months...
Oh.. and I ruined the scape..
Ugh..
This tank has gone pretty far downhill... I'm not too happy with it...
The scape looks terrible now...
The water is stained with tannins. Which normally would be fine.. If thats what I wanted... But its not... So its bothering me...
The caribsea white sand was so fine that even a prefilter sponge meant for shrimp and fish fry wasnt enough to keep it out of the filter. The impeller makes noise now and I can't get it to stop...
The flow is terrible.. Theres just a lot of things wrong with it right now..
I'm not sure what to do...
I'm currently trying to find the right rocks and wood to rescape it with...
I think I'm going for something completely different looking.
Who knows...
I think I want to do a dwarf water lily on the surface.. With a lowlight setup beneath.
I'm thinking helvola lily...
Still working on it..
post #23 of 140 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 10:39 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Don't give up!

Keep on pushing! I think a nano fish school would look great. This tank could be really cool with some (more) work.
post #24 of 140 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotponys View Post
Keep on pushing! I think a nano fish school would look great. This tank could be really cool with some (more) work.
Will do!!

This tank is in for some BIG changes!!
Since the light is so bright I want to raise it up a bit.
I want a cieling of floaters. I'm hoping to be able to squeeze a helvola lily into the scape. It has quarter sized leaves and flowers.
Under that I want a lowlight jungle of sorts. Lots of crypts with driftwood, lots of anubias and java fern.
I started today and picked up 4 unkown kinds of crypts and a java fern... windelov I believe.
I hope to get ID's on the crypts soon...
Looking for the right wood and hope to get Anubias soon....
Was astonished by celestial pearl danios today... first time I've seen them in person... considering getting them...
post #25 of 140 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 12:36 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldachleich View Post
Will do!!

This tank is in for some BIG changes!!
Since the light is so bright I want to raise it up a bit.
I want a cieling of floaters. I'm hoping to be able to squeeze a helvola lily into the scape. It has quarter sized leaves and flowers.
Under that I want a lowlight jungle of sorts. Lots of crypts with driftwood, lots of anubias and java fern.
I started today and picked up 4 unkown kinds of crypts and a java fern... windelov I believe.
I hope to get ID's on the crypts soon...
Looking for the right wood and hope to get Anubias soon....
Was astonished by celestial pearl danios today... first time I've seen them in person... considering getting them...
Sounds good!
Yes, they are so beautiful aren't they!
Yes, CPD's are just too cool! They school in the mid levels and need tiny sinking food, just FYI. But they are expensive! $9 for my 2, and they are tiny! But I did get a M/F pair...
post #26 of 140 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 01:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

My LFS don't have anything

I'd like a pair of CPDs as the centerpiece of the 20g. I did go on a spending spree today to finish stocking a few tanks, feeling happy but guilty
post #27 of 140 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotponys View Post
Sounds good!
Yes, they are so beautiful aren't they!
Yes, CPD's are just too cool! They school in the mid levels and need tiny sinking food, just FYI. But they are expensive! $9 for my 2, and they are tiny! But I did get a M/F pair...
$9!!! Thats insane!!!
They are $3 right now at the LFS...
They have tons, but alas I am poor.
I did get two though!!
Planning on getting more in the future....
post #28 of 140 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenxes View Post
My LFS don't have anything

I'd like a pair of CPDs as the centerpiece of the 20g. I did go on a spending spree today to finish stocking a few tanks, feeling happy but guilty
Lol!! My spending spree was yesterday on all my crypts.

Acclimating the two new CPD right now...

Also got my frogbit and salvinia from dragonsong93 today!!
Thank you!!
I feel terrible.. Were doing a trade and I havent had anytime to get to the post office..
My work has been insane.... 3 flame throwers and two cannons went out. Everything was breakign and it doesnt help that everything is under construction right now.
Matterhorn is kicking my A$$ right now!!
And I never got to the post office to send out my plants..
I'm a terrible person!
I did go get the box today and am sending out in the morning so hopefully she wont be too mad...
post #29 of 140 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 03:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Today...I ordered: (1) 50 opae ula; (2) 4 horned nerites; (3) 6 corydora pygmaeus; (4) 8 corydora habrosus; (5) 4 otocinclus (for total of 6 in 20g); and (6) more fish food. Nothing's going to get here until late next week. I got a good deal on everything... but, don't ask me how much I spent I should be paying off student loans, not buying fish. Now to go hunt down a pair of CPDs...

What do you do for work? That involve FLAME THROWERS and CANNONS? Did you run away to the circus?
post #30 of 140 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenxes View Post
Today...I ordered: (1) 50 opae ula; (2) 4 horned nerites; (3) 6 corydora pygmaeus; (4) 8 corydora habrosus; (5) 4 otocinclus (for total of 6 in 20g); and (6) more fish food. Nothing's going to get here until late next week. I got a good deal on everything... but, don't ask me how much I spent I should be paying off student loans, not buying fish. Now to go hunt down a pair of CPDs...

What do you do for work? That involve FLAME THROWERS and CANNONS? Did you run away to the circus?
Theres lots of CPD near me...
I could send you some...
Though honestly their not in great shape.

I just looked in the tank and saw a single big Ich spot on the tail of one of the two I bought. Just one...
And I got the two healthiest ones in there.
Normally their fish are quite healthy... But with all those fish coming in some disease is inevitable..
I took both of them and put them in a super concentrated salt bath. They recovered nicely from the salt bath.
The big spot of Ich is gone and they are swimming around normally..
I have been observing them and I think I see 3 or 4 tiny tiny spot on each. Not sure if it is Ich yet.. I turned up the temp to 86.
I hope the crypts survive....

If they do turn into cysts they are in for another salt bath.

lol... I work at Disneyland..
I guess you could call me a general tech of sorts.
Fireworks, flame throwers, lighting, water jets... Many different things and they all like to break down...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode